Damage from an entry gate, $20,000 repair!!! (local certified Lucid shop.)

Yeah that’s not normal. Who’s your insurer? Normally it takes 2 weeks just to get an adjustment to an estimate submitted, 1 week to get estimate, and these repairs on the Lucid never happen that quick just due to the complexity of the car and parts availability and then Lucid needing to recalibrate the sensors.

This thread is going to make me drive like a grandma for at least a week...

But thank you for all the case studies. If I'm ever unfortunate to scrape up my Lucid I will definitely shop around.

Yeah that’s not normal. Who’s your insurer? Normally it takes 2 weeks just to get an adjustment to an estimate submitted, 1 week to get estimate, and these repairs on the Lucid never happen that quick just due to the complexity of the car and parts availability and then Lucid needing to recalibrate the sensors.
Understood. But the b.s. factor is what overwhelmed me. "Sure, I'll have tis done within 3 weeks". And then, no estimate in 14 days ????

Hello all,
I've just discovered this forum and from what I'm reading - I belong here.
This, according to the only Lucid certified body shop near me, is a $20,000 repair!!
The damaged was caused by a entrance gate that attempted to close while I was driving through it.
The damage looks like a simple body shop, run of the mill, scratches & paint - right?

Nope, I was told the right fender was not repairable and needed to be replaced. Ok I get that.

But additionally, to get the fender off, they have to take off adjacent panels in order to get to the panel - ok that seems reasonable...
At this time I am told that anytime a panel is removed from the factory installation, those panels also have to be REPLACED, due to
the 'one use only' pressure clips built onto each panel - they have not successfully been able to re-use a panel that they have taken off?
So now the estimate removes & replaces with new the following: Rear Bumper, Quarter Panel, Trim, Applique, C-Pillar Flag, Cantrail Sub assembly,
Rear Door,Interior Trim, Belt Moulding, Rear Door Handle, Inner trim Panels, door glass, margin seal, door shade, door seal. decklid panel,
Air Badge -deckledge, replace Rt Rear Tire, Flatbed tow to dealership, dealer recailibration, Match to existing 4 step paint. And more....???

All to fix scratches to the car caused by an over zealous entrance gate!

I smell BS.

Comments?
Unfortunately, based off of the photos, you have a lot more damage than you realize as the rear 1/4 panel is torn. I have seen many 1/4 panel replacements cost between $30~$40k

Follow up on my $20,000.00 estimate from the only "certified" Lucid Body Shop in my area.
My insurance adjuster came to document the damage caused by a faulty gate (see my original post for photos)
If you recall, we've been told that the damage to the quarter panel required the removal of the adjacent panels
plus the bumper etc AND once removed - these panels cannot be used again! Straight from the 'certified' Lucid
shop.
My adjuster had seen this before and steered me in the direction of another high end body shop. Who's 'certifications'
included Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls, Benz - so they know their way around a luxury vehicle. Their estimate - $3,200
including the blending of the 4 part Metallic Red paint I have. Service included White glove flatbed tow truck from my house & back.
They had it 4 days - vs 5 to 6 weeks from our 'certified' Lucid thieves!
You might ask why did I care? I had the same deductible no matter where I had the work done. But its the principle.
For those of you following along, or that may need to have minor work done - look around. We all own cars that have been assembled with panels
that are attached to the frame with 'one-time-use' pressure clips. The company's posture is, well - planned obsolescence?

Now onto my next beef with the car - The Key Fobs
Wow, I wish I knew before I let the Lucid certified shop took my lucid apart, damaged the rear windshield in the process and resulted in the insurance company totaling my car.

It’s utterly ridiculous.

I'm gonna guess we'll be seeing a lot of banged-up Lucids when the used market prices allow the common folk to own one.
Rust, dents, mis-matched panels .... no way I'm gonna let a shop do what I can do in a half hour with some bondo and a can of primer.

Wow, I wish I knew before I let the Lucid certified shop took my lucid apart, damaged the rear windshield in the process and resulted in the insurance company totaling my car.

It’s utterly ridiculous.
The back glass is very susceptible to breaking. Unfortunately the trunk hinge is VERY close to the rear glass.

I’m glad you got this resolved. In the NY area and there are many like this and I’ve seen similar with Tesla. A sensor fell out, $500 bucks from Tesla servicing. $100 from my guy in Brooklyn. ALWAYS shop. Just cause someone has a stamp of approval doesn’t mean they’re the only ones skilled at it. Pay $20k for 100% correction, or $4k for 90% correction. Believe me most would go for the latter.

I’m glad you got this resolved. In the NY area and there are many like this and I’ve seen similar with Tesla. A sensor fell out, $500 bucks from Tesla servicing. $100 from my guy in Brooklyn. ALWAYS shop. Just cause someone has a stamp of approval doesn’t mean they’re the only ones skilled at it. Pay $20k for 100% correction, or $4k for 90% correction. Believe me most would go for the latter.
If I’m paying for it, I’ll take the $4k path. If insurance is paying, I definitely want it 100%.

If I’m paying for it, I’ll take the $4k path. If insurance is paying, I definitely want it 100%.

That's what I thought, but because of the price gauging of the "certified" shop, insurance wants to total the car. It's worse than a 90% repair for me. Then there's the principal of it all. That said, if it turned out that Lucid is build and design as practically unrepairable, then I wouldn't touch another Lucid again.

That's what I thought, but because of the price gauging of the "certified" shop, insurance wants to total the car. It's worse than a 90% repair for me. Then there's the principal of it all. That said, if it turned out that Lucid is build and design as practically unrepairable, then I wouldn't touch another Lucid again.
Mine has been repaired just fine. It’s definitely not “unrepairable”

Sounds like the shop screwed you. Talk to CS, maybe get a second opinion

I say forget insurance... Find a local body shop to repair for $2k or so and no carfax report and no insurance premium increases.

Mine has been repaired just fine. It’s definitely not “unrepairable”

Sounds like the shop screwed you. Talk to CS, maybe get a second opinion

I did talk to CS, unfortunately the service center doesn’t do any work related to the body.

I’m already screwed by this shop since they’ve broken a few parts and the rear windshield in the process. The other certified lucid shop won’t even touch it.

I love every part of my Lucid experience, but this certified body shops are really ruining things not just for me. I’m not the isolated case here neither, I see quite a few Lucid on their lot. If enough of these cases happens the insurance company will increase premiums for all Lucid and increase the total cost of ownership for Lucid. This is a terrible thing.

I did talk to CS, unfortunately the service center doesn’t do any work related to the body.

I’m already screwed by this shop since they’ve broken a few parts and the rear windshield in the process. The other certified lucid shop won’t even touch it.

I love every part of my Lucid experience, but this certified body shops are really ruining things not just for me. I’m not the isolated case here neither, I see quite a few Lucid on their lot. If enough of these cases happens the insurance company will increase premiums for all Lucid and increase the total cost of ownership for Lucid. This is a terrible thing.
Time to take away certified status to that shop

At the time I took it in, it’s the only certified shop in Washington state. I’m glad that there’s another one now. It seems very important to make parts availability to other auto shops and tap into the healthier body repair ecosystem.

I say forget insurance... Find a local body shop to repair for $2k or so and no carfax report and no insurance premium increases.
I've been told that in CA, if the repair is over $500 the shop is required to report it to the state and DMV will have it on your record. That was maybe seven years ago, don't know if it's still true. I do know a small shop that does good work, doesn't take insurance, cash only, and doesn't report it. So those places are out there.

Back