BMW I7 versus Lucid Air Grand Touring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
300 mile range price starting $105k for bmw i7. Why is it being compared with any lucid?
I think it’s a fair comparison, range is one of the items that the Lucid wins.

I think it’s a fair comparison, range is one of the items that the Lucid wins.
OK. I still cannot think of Air Pure and DE P as basically the same car though. That said, I drove GT and Pure AWD only and not DE P. So, I cannot compare the 2. 50 mile more than Air Pure AWD and a lot more acceleration 3.5 VS 2.5 or less, massaging seats, glass roof, soft close doors, remote frunk, ambient lighting choices.

OK. I still cannot think of Air Pure and DE P as basically the same car though. That said, I drove GT and Pure AWD only and not DE P. So, I cannot compare the 2. 50 mile more than Air Pure AWD and a lot more acceleration 3.5 VS 2.5 or less, massaging seats, glass roof, soft close doors, remote frunk, ambient lighting choices.
DE vs Pure = 4 cylinder vs V8. In comparison of options & pricing could be like comparing Chevy Tahoe vs Cadillac Escalade. I’ll be on your camp IF you want to compare Lucid Air to Tesla S. Lucid beats Tesla S ALL DAY LONG. NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!

DE vs Pure = 4 cylinder vs V8. In comparison of options & pricing could be like comparing Chevy Tahoe vs Cadillac Escalade. I’ll be on your camp IF you want to compare Lucid Air to Tesla S. Lucid beats Tesla S ALL DAY LONG. NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!
OK. I will take your opinion at face value because I never even sat in a BMW i7.

I like my Lucid but the i7 is in a class by itself. I know I’m going to get attacked by some Lucid owners here but I doubt any of them have owned or driven 2 Airs for as many miles as I have or an i7 to be fair. Lucid is definitely better than Tesla S or Audi Etron but the i7 & Taycan are better engineered & built cars.
It’s an opinion. It’s not the same one I share, having driven a Taycan, i7, and my DE - I’d take my DE over either of the others all day.

The Taycan handled *slightly* better, but the other drawbacks (space, practicality, etc) were far outweighed by the Lucid.

I did not find the i7 “luxury,” I found it gaudy. And it was far too floaty for my preference, not nearly as hitched to the road as either the Air or the Taycan. But again, that’s personal preference.

No reason to attack you for stating an opinion, however wrong it may be. ;)

Last edited:
It’s an opinion. It’s not the same one I share, having driven a Taycan, i7, and my DE - I’d take my DE over either of the others all day.

The Taycan handled *slightly* better, but the other drawbacks (space, practicality, etc) were far outweighed by the Lucid.

I did not find the i7 “luxury,” I found it gaudy. But that’s again, personal preference.

Yeah each of those big three cater to different styles, with the Lucid being a good balance. It is a matter of preference for what you look for in a car.

My neighbor that I’m pretty close with has the i7 on lease. I think it’s better build quality (at least compared to my air) and probably a little more luxurious but in a gaudy way. The tech is cool too like auto open doors and the huge screen in the back although that would never matter to me since I’m the driver. I still think lucid wins in the driving dynamics perspective. It handles better, is quicker, has more range.

I think the I7 is leaning into luxury (the 7 series always had). Model S leans into technology, acceleration, and practicality. Taycan leans into performance driving. Lucid is a mix of all the above. Not as luxurious but plenty for most. Not as quick or tech driven as Tesla but has enough for most. Doesn’t handle as well as Taycan but enough for most. Overall, the Air is a mix of all the standout features of the current players and that’s why it’s my daily and deservingly has its place in the market.

A couple of days ago I charged next to an i7. The driver struck up a conversation with me and raved about his car. He had owned several S-class cars, but tried and disliked the EQS. He felt the i7 had it all over the EQS.

He was particularly enamored with the i7 seats and how they fit him better than anything else he tried. Being on the somewhat heavy side (he actually called himself ’fat’), he found many car seats uncomfortable. He insisted on me trying them out (I actually had already at an i5 premiere event I was invited to). They were certainly cushy, but not being of the same girth, I found the Lucid seats more comfortable. He didn’t seem particularly concerned about handling, but raved about the i7’s ride quality. He said he was interested in the Lucid but never got around to test driving it.

Personally, my biggest issue with the i7 is the car’s aesthetics. Much too boxy for me. With that said, as pleased as I am with the i4, I’m sure the i7 is a great car.

A couple of days ago I charged next to an i7. The driver struck up a conversation with me and raved about his car. He had owned several S-class cars, but tried and disliked the EQS. He felt the i7 had it all over the EQS.

He was particularly enamored with the i7 seats and how they fit him better than anything else he tried. Being on the somewhat heavy side (he actually called himself ’fat’), he found many car seats uncomfortable. He insisted on me trying them out (I actually had already at an i5 premiere event I was invited to). They were certainly cushy, but not being of the same girth, I found the Lucid seats more comfortable. He didn’t seem particularly concerned about handling, but raved about the i7’s ride quality. He said he was interested in the Lucid but never got around to test driving it.

Personally, my biggest issue with the i7 is the car’s aesthetics. Much too boxy for me. With that said, as pleased as I am with the i4, I’m sure the i7 is a great car.
Yeah. I feel like anyone who loves “old Lexus” will love the i7. I’m not saying they’re the same, and I don’t mean to imply it uses old tech or anything at all, but it handles like a cloud, doesn’t pass along road feedback, and is thus much ”smoother” of a ride, if that’s what you’re into. And it has the “classic” sense of luxury, which imho is far too gaudy nowadays.

That doesn’t make it bad. Just not *my* car.

Yeah. I feel like anyone who loves “old Lexus” will love the i7. I’m not saying they’re the same, and I don’t mean to imply it uses old tech or anything at all, but it handles like a cloud, doesn’t pass along road feedback, and is thus much ”smoother” of a ride, if that’s what you’re into. And it has the “classic” sense of luxury, which imho is far too gaudy nowadays.

That doesn’t make it bad. Just not *my* car.
Yeah but does the passenger airbag work for small people who sit funny??

Yeah but does the passenger airbag work for small people who sit funny??

I did not find the i7 “luxury,” I found it gaudy. And it was far too floaty for my preference, not nearly as hitched to the road as either the Air or the Taycan. But again, that’s personal preference.

I was wondering how long it would take before you chimed in…. Your opinion doesn’t mean anything to me as you have no idea what you are talking about!!!

I was responding to the Borski guy. I blocked him on X but he makes a point of responding with the same non sense…. Has no clue, just full of opinions!!!
I have found Borski to be pretty well informed and I find his postings on this forum to be educational and in most cases right on the money!!

Both are the same car. Just different in HP. It’s no different than some ICE car models that one has a 4 Cylinder engine & the other has a V6 or V8. I’m being honest & unbiased when I compare the i7 to Air. I used to love my DE until I replaced it with the Stealth. Once I got the i7, I didn’t even want to drive the Stealth. My stealth has about 800 miles & it has been parked in the garage since I got it last May.
If you enjoy it, good on you.

Regarding the i7- issue I have is it's dimensions, inefficiency, that poor range. I like to throw my cars into a corner, you just can't do that with the i7. Range is about 300 miles with a 103 KWH battery, 400V architecture. My Lucid Touring is a 420 mile range with a 92kwh battery and 700V, EV tech in the i7 is just not as good as the Lucid.

i7 will never make me happy. I like my cars to be elegant and the simplicity of the Lucid is unbeatable. With the Taycan, the range is abysmal and you don't get OTA updates. But if you prefer the i7 for the bettery luxury vibe, that is understandable.

Have you noticed that the all 3 Germans are just not making efficient high range EV's. They don't have the tech.

I was wondering how long it would take before you chimed in…. Your opinion doesn’t mean anything to me as you have no idea what you are talking about!!!
I was responding to the Borski guy. I blocked him on X but he makes a point of responding with the same non sense…. Has no clue, just full of opinions!!!

Wow, bud. Merry Christmas to you too.

I’ve had nothing against you. I’ve enjoyed chatting with you in person the one or two times we’ve met. If you have something against me, have a conversation with me.

This? This is childish and immature. Ironic that the one who was afraid of “being attacked” is the one doing all the attacking.

Happy holidays. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back