BMW I7 versus Lucid Air Grand Touring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW i7 ia an ICE car converted to an EV...it shows. 40cm longer than the Lucid. No frunk??. Whats the point in building a 150k EV that doesn't have a dedicated platform? Looks hugely unathletic. You have to admit, the lucid Air looks much better than an i7.

With regards to all that luxury in the back- I'm not buying a car so my backseet passenger can enjoy it. I want something that looks very nice and handles well. Lucid may not have the " disco interior " of the Germans, but it feels more airy inside and the choice of materials gives the interior some " lightness" . You get my point.

Lucid aerodynamics were worked on by a Red Bull F1 engineer, the chassis and suspension- the folks from Lotus. Lucid just made an electric BMW M5!!!! The EV version of the best sport sedan ever made. BMW missed the boat.....this is probably what went down..." maybe we can throw a lot of tech into it and people won't notice how we have fallen behind in EV technology "

If I'm going to be chauferred around, yep, I would buy the i7....but I drive my own car. That means Lucid hands down! Nothing comes close. Not even Tesla. Building an EV without a frunk is lazy German engineering.
I own both & I enjoy driving both for different reasons & occasions.

I own both & I enjoy driving both for different reasons & occasions.
Awesome perspective!

I have to ask: If you were on a ferry and it was sinking and you could only drive off with one, which one would it be and why?

Awesome perspective!

I have to ask: If you were on a ferry and it was sinking and you could only drive off with one, which one would it be and why?
Captain's wife.
Why? Best seat on the life boat.

The ride in my Air is comparable to a 4 door ICE BMW like 8 series to 6 series. U feel the road roughness & sound. The ride in my i7 is completely different as it’s a smoother & more comfortable ride. My DE & Steaktb have few features that I like better than my i7, but overall the i7 is a better built EV & has better & more features. No bias towards either brand as I own both & have put enough miles on both to have an “opinion” based on reality rather than some people who own Lucid stock & bash anyone who expresses any shortcomings about Lucid brand.
I disagree about BMW being a better built EV. BMW may have more tech, nicer interior ( if you like all those screens) a softer ride. But it is not a better EV with lack of frunk, poor efficiency, poor packaging for the size, lack of dedicated EV platform, poor range, poorer performance. The Lucid is a better EV. BMW converted a ICE platform to an EV making significant compromises.

I disagree about BMW being a better built EV. BMW may have more tech, nicer interior ( if you like all those screens) a softer ride. But it is not a better EV with lack of frunk, poor efficiency, poor packaging for the size, lack of dedicated EV platform, poor range, poorer performance. The Lucid is a better EV. BMW converted a ICE platform to an EV making significant compromises.
I think by built he meant the quality?

I do think the packaging is terrible, bur compared to other legacy manufacturers… I will take it. Range is also 380ish in real world.

The ride in my Air is comparable to a 4 door ICE BMW like 8 series to 6 series. U feel the road roughness & sound. The ride in my i7 is completely different as it’s a smoother & more comfortable ride. My DE & Steaktb have few features that I like better than my i7, but overall the i7 is a better built EV & has better & more features. No bias towards either brand as I own both & have put enough miles on both to have an “opinion” based on reality rather than some people who own Lucid stock & bash anyone who expresses any shortcomings about Lucid brand.

You and Lucken both have BMW EVs and a Lucid Air (Lucken an I4, you an I7). While I am not interested in an I7 (it is too large for me), I am very interested in the ownership experience over the next year or so of both cars. Please continue to share your experiences.

If anyone has an I5 and a Lucid Air, that would be a great comparative review.

You and Lucken both have BMW EVs and a Lucid Air (Lucken an I4, you an I7). While I am not interested in an I7 (it is too large for me), I am very interested in the ownership experience over the next year or so of both cars. Please continue to share your experiences.

I want to see the Neue Klasse unveil on the 2nd of September. It is being hyped up as "changing BMW forever," and it should look like the I Vision Dee. Strangely I like the look of that, evokes the simplicity from the e36/e46 days.

I want to see the Neue Klasse unveil on the 2nd of September. It is being hyped up as "changing BMW forever," and it should look like the I Vision Dee. Strangely I like the look of that, evokes the simplicity from the e36/e46 days.
I googled Neue Klasse (didn't know anything about it) and BMW said ... They are expected to debut between 2025 and 2027.
Which realistically means even longer than that.
Now, anybody thinks that Lucid will freeze in time and be the same car as of today?

I also have a AGT and a BMWi4M50. Both are fabulous cars.

The BMW was delivered flawless. Paint and panel alignment was perfect. In 9 months have not had one software fault. It is fast, corners great and has a superior A/C to the lucid.

The Lucid has much better range, is even faster, corners very well, has much more room for backseat passengers and has a frunk and a trunk which the BMW does not, though the BMW is a hatchback.

I know the BMW grill is polarizing to some, but I find it is not that bad with the license plate tacked on and I am used to it. For the price the BMW is a bargain and is great for around town. The Lucid is superior for taking long trips and carrying passengers.

I googled Neue Klasse (didn't know anything about it) and BMW said ... They are expected to debut between 2025 and 2027.
Which realistically means even longer than that.
Now, anybody thinks that Lucid will freeze in time and be the same car as of today?
Diverting this topic a bit, do we all think lucid will take the Tesla approach and not change the air?(in fact right now they have more reason to do it as their hardware is 5 years ahead)

Or do we think they will iterate it(apart from battery and motor technologies, the model s also did that)

I’m ok with your opinion & it doesn’t bother me a bit. I prefer driving my i7 to my stealth or the DE that I used to own. The Stealth is parked most of the time next to my other toys.

Do you own a i7? Have you driven both cars for few thousand miles each? If you don’t & have not, then I accept your statement as your opinion. I own both and have put thousands of miles on both. My post “opinion” is based on actual ownership experience & facts instead of just what I “think”. I am not trying to change your mind. Just simply stating what I have experienced as an owner of both EVs. I’m done with this discussion.
I noticed you said you like driving the i7 more. Is this because you want a level of comfort, and don’t care about the actual dynamics?(to be clear, I completely understand this.)

Awesome perspective!

Well, your question is too hypothetical & frankly doesn’t make sense. Since I was on solid ground and had already put over 25000 miles on my Dream Edition & had already ordered a Stealth last year, I CHOSE to buy the i7 after driving it. It was not an impulsive decision, rather I wanted an EV that was better than the Lucid Air, Porsche Taycan, Audi Etron (I had already owned 1) & Tesla MS ( also had owned 1). I have owned different models of BMW 7 series over the past 30+ years & the i7 is their BEST car so far. I’m in the Automotive industry & have owned my share of toys & have enjoyed each one for what they have offered to me.

Well, your question is too hypothetical & frankly doesn’t make sense. Since I was on solid ground and had already put over 25000 miles on my Dream Edition & had already ordered a Stealth last year, I CHOSE to buy the i7 after driving it. It was not an impulsive decision, rather I wanted an EV that was better than the Lucid Air, Porsche Taycan, Audi Etron (I had already owned 1) & Tesla MS ( also had owned 1). I have owned different models of BMW 7 series over the past 30+ years & the i7 is their BEST car so far. I’m in the Automotive industry & have owned my share of toys & have enjoyed each one for what they have offered to me.
Interesting.

Different tools for different tasks yeah?

What situations is the Lucid better in versus the BMW i7?
I think performance, speed, long range, and sport whereas the BMW sounds like your everyday for comfort and class around town?

Interesting.

Different tools for different tasks yeah?

What situations is the Lucid better in versus the BMW i7?
I think performance, speed, long range, and sport whereas the BMW sounds like your everyday for comfort and class around town?
I'd say, live/let him be.
Either he really owns both, or he's a troll. Nothing will change his postings.
Quaplah (in Klingon language) to him.
Btw, i7 image on my table keeps me on diet (puking). :)

I'd say, live/let him be.
Either he really owns both, or he's a troll. Nothing will change his postings.
Quaplah (in Klingon language) to him.
Btw, i7 image on my table keeps me on diet (puking). :)
Yeah, I know it's all subjective too. One person's garbage is another person's treasure as they say.

I was just genuinely curious because he's put way more miles on his Air than me. So I was curious after 25k miles, what he found lacking. I consider the i7 a vehicle you're driven in, not a vehicle you drive.

...Either he really owns both, or he's a troll. Nothing will change his postings....
He does own both and is no troll. There's nothing wrong with stating comparative opinions and preferences based on firsthand experience.

Yeah, I know it's all subjective too. One person's garbage is another person's treasure as they say.

I was just genuinely curious because he's put way more miles on his Air than me. So I was curious after 25k miles, what he found lacking. I consider the i7 a vehicle you're driven in, not a vehicle you drive.
It used to be if you wanted an EV, you had to get a Tesla. Now there are many choices from pure EV makers like Lucid and Rivian through traditional car makers like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Ford, Hyundai, etc. As consumers, we are all different and have differing values. We should respect that and recognize that a Lucid is not for everyone just as a BMW is not for everyone.

Having said that, I do love the new blackout Lucids.

Of course it’s hypothetical and was meant in fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back