Best home wifi router?

Ok because someone mentioned Ubiquiti, I have to throw in Pfsense or Opensense. Pfsense isn't a mesh network per say.... But you can just hook up any AP you want.

The problem with the Eero is that it's a bit too set it and forget it. If you need some functionality that is just half a notch above dead basic, forget about it.

Is not ideal but I use a Pfsense box tied to my Eeros.

Ok because someone mentioned Ubiquiti, I have to throw in Pfsense or Opensense. Pfsense isn't a mesh network per say.... But you can just hook up any AP you want.

The problem with the Eero is that it's a bit too set it and forget it. If you need some functionality that is just half a notch above dead basic, forget about it.

Is not ideal but I use a Pfsense box tied to my Eeros.
Sure, but most people would get creamed by the knowledge needed to set up a pfsense router. :)

For the vast majority of people, basic eero’s do the job just fine. Then there’s everyone else, and a wide array of options (from ubiquiti to pfsense to a fancy twelve antenna netgear, etc)

The Amplifi systems from Ubiquiti are good consumer systems with lots of power and data, but they are overkill for most people who would do perfectly fine with a set of eero’s.

(I also run a UDM Pro all-ubiquiti setup)

+1 to Ubiquiti and the Amplifi line, however is it overkill for most, as is any Mesh line above $400 or so. I use it myself, and inject my gigabit into our coax with MoCA adapters.

If you're set on a new setup, I would just preorder the new Google Nest Mesh Wifi Pro with Wifi 6E and keep it cheap and simple.

Even with my current setup and an iPhone 13 Pro, I only hit about 550/550 a few feet from my access point and 980/980 wired. Interference from other sources (neighbors/cell towers) play a huge role in your wi-fi experience. Try not to fall for the flashy marketing.

Keep in mind that gigabit speeds are only helpful for long sequential transfers. 4k Netflix and such do just fine at 50mbps. Latency and packet loss is a different story, though.

+1 to Ubiquiti and the Amplifi line, however is it overkill for most, as is any Mesh line above $400 or so. I use it myself, and inject my gigabit into our coax with MoCA adapters.

If you're set on a new setup, I would just preorder the new Google Nest Mesh Wifi Pro with Wifi 6E and keep it cheap and simple.

Even with my current setup and an iPhone 13 Pro, I only hit about 550/550 a few feet from my access point and 980/980 wired. Interference from other sources (neighbors/cell towers) play a huge role in your wi-fi experience. Try not to fall for the flashy marketing.

Keep in mind that gigabit speeds are only helpful for long sequential transfers. 4k Netflix and such do just fine at 50mbps. Latency and packet loss is a different story, though.

How are the moca adapters? My dad could use this for wired backhaul. Decent throughput? Which model do you use?

I like TP Link.

TP-Link Deco AXE5300 Wi-Fi 6E Tri-Band Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, 3-Pack​

It came on sale at Costco for $299. It is 6E mesh with 3 ethernet ports for local wired network.

Sure, but most people would get creamed by the knowledge needed to set up a pfsense router. :)

For the vast majority of people, basic eero’s do the job just fine. Then there’s everyone else, and a wide array of options (from ubiquiti to pfsense to a fancy twelve antenna netgear, etc)
Lolol. Insert Randy Marsh gif. I'd post it but it's a bad one.

In case you don't know already, if you have your own router which is much better than the modem/router, you should passthru WAN IP to your router and disable the wifi in the modem/router. Use DHCP server in your router. Otherwise you will have what is called double NAT (Network address Translation) where your router goes to modem/router and from there to internet vs your router going direct to Internet.

In case you don't know already, if you have your own router which is much better than the modem/router, you should passthru WAN IP to your router and disable the wifi in the modem/router. Use DHCP server in your router. Otherwise you will have what is called double NAT (Network address Translation) where your router goes to modem/router and from there to internet vs your router going direct to Internet.
If your modem has “bridge mode” use that. If it doesn’t, @HariK is right and you should use IP Passthrough.

If your modem has “bridge mode” use that. If it doesn’t, @HariK is right and you should use IP Passthrough.
Cable modems which work with Comcast support Bridge mode. The att arris bgw210 supports ip passthru which is what I have.

Ubiquiti.

Go for a Unifi Dream Router (UDR) and you won't ever go back to anything else.

1666137877176.jpeg

What is the make and model of the WiFi router that produces this?

Eero Pro 6 works great. Do you have Coax (cable TV) cables installed in the rooms you would want to put the nodes? You can use MoCA adapters to cheaply convert to Gigabit ethernet for wired backhaul.
That's awesome. Never knew about this. I do have coax throughout the house....but admittedly had the reno team patch over a few of them in public spaces because it didn't look good and I knew I was going streaming and not cable. Luckily where my current Google pods are still have the coax (since they are "hidden" by furniture). I'll look into that MoCA adapter. Seems like an awesome way to ensure great coverage throughout the house. THANK YOU!

That's awesome. Never knew about this. I do have coax throughout the house....but admittedly had the reno team patch over a few of them in public spaces because it didn't look good and I knew I was going streaming and not cable. Luckily where my current Google pods are still have the coax (since they are "hidden" by furniture). I'll look into that MoCA adapter. Seems like an awesome way to ensure great coverage throughout the house. THANK YOU!
You’re welcome! You’ll also need to insure to get a splitter that doesn’t filter out high frequency.
I got thus one : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QTPL2YQ

Amazon also has many options for MoCA adapters. I have these, they work well.

Do I need a gateway as mentioned in the eero iPhone app as seen here? I ordered an eero 6+.

EC3B3FC5-827F-439C-AF91-54C3B8BCC13F.jpeg

I don't know what a gateway is and don't have one.

Do I need a gateway as mentioned in the eero iPhone app as seen here? I ordered an eero 6+.

View attachment 5728
I don't know what a gateway is and don't have one.
Your eero 6 will be the gateway (i.e., that's what you connect to your modem), and if you have additional eeros they will link to the eero that's the gateway.

Only if you dont need mesh and need a single router. For this case, I would still recommend the AmpliFi lineup.
No, I have a UDM and 4 AP's hardwired, perfect mesh system. Amplifi is awesome but the consumer version, true Unifi is super robust and really awesome if you delve deep into it. Only thing I would say is get the UDM pro if you really want max potential and power. The mesh Wifi is seamless and super powerful.

Back