Battery System fault

RM-S8

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT-P, Huracan
I thought I'm one of few (chosen, lol) who didn't have any issues with the car, so I felt blessed. Well, till yesterday. Driving home, approx. 40 miles, suddenly the warning light showes up.
I have 2 minutes to exit the car, then the car powers down (or explodes :) ).
I pulled over, called Lucid, exited the car, did the reset, waited 2-3 minutes, entered the car and holding breath started to drive. The car drove for 3-10 miles then the warning light goes off again,
I kept repeating this procedure around 8 times, but managed to come home.
Lucid team is picking up the car today and taking it to Mechanicsville, Virginia for an evaluation. Curious, what they find.

Attachments

• 20230227_161022.jpg
    20230227_161022.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
Sorry to hear that, hope they resolve it quickly for you.

Sorry to hear this.
I've been thinking that for catastrophic events such as this, additional info such manufactured date, current mileage, last recent DCFC session, etc can be posted for a prospective database. Maybe a common linkage can be found by Sherlock Holmes, or maybe not.
But I'm of the belief that more data can never hurt

Sucks that happened but glad it provided some time, however brief, to move to safety and exit the car. I've seen posts in the past where it was more immediate. I wonder if the 2 minute countdown is part of a recent software enhancement?

Sucks that happened but glad it provided some time, however brief, to move to safety and exit the car. I've seen posts in the past where it was more immediate. I wonder if the 2 minute countdown is part of a recent software enhancement?
It is; they added it to prevent the 'instant' failures of the past. Some folks have even gotten 5 minutes; I suspect it depends on which part failed.

My guess is this needs a new HV battery and Wunderbox, and then it'll never happen again. (I had the same issue)

And no, it isn't consistent or true that every car will succumb to this, before anyone asks; it is only some cars, and once fixed they don't seem to have a repeat issue.

My guess is this needs a new HV battery and Wunderbox, and then it'll never happen again. (I had the same issue)
Had this screen and others (drive system, brake system, 12v system, etc.). Was diagnosed and a faulty 12v system module was replaced. Car is flawless now.

And no, it isn't consistent or true that every car will succumb to this, before anyone asks; it is only some cars, and once fixed they don't seem to have a repeat issue.
This needs to be emphasized. Lucid is getting good at diagnosing problems and fixing them quickly. "Let's replace everything just to get him back on the road" approach should fade away this year as experience grows. When my issue arose I got all emotional and ranty here. My fear was software issues are intractable and mysterious and never solved (I had Vista OS). I posted here that if CS could hold up a smoking module : "This is your problem!" I would trust the car again. Well that is exactly (figuratively) what they did. For a moment I wondered if they read my post and hosed me (that it was a software issue after all, bc the car worked normally after every reboot), but no matter.

The car is fine and I completely trust it.

Sorry for not updating, was waiting for Lucid team to call with updates. And they called me yesterday.
@borski , he was right.
HV battery replacement, wundebox, and some system updates with tons of apologies to boot.
As you noticed I drive a lot.
Approximately 40k miles a year, achieved with Audis S8 (plural) previously.
AGTP, in my opinion, beasts the crap out of anything on the road I can think of.
Ending my rant, Lucid said a week to two weeks to see my car again in my driveway.
Can't wait.

I experienced "Battery System Fault Vehicle, Vehicle Powering Down in 2 minutes" last Sunday while 200 miles from home with a car full of people, luggage and skis. Odometer 7655 miles. I was on my way to a DC fast charger and preconditioning at the time. Was able to get off the NYS Thruway and to a parking lot. Called Roadside Assistance. Determined it was going to be towed to Tysons Service Center. Was told yesterday after several days of diagnostics that it needs a new HV battery. I have no other information at this time.
Of note -- customer service authorizes $300/day for car/hotel expenses for a few days when event occurs while far from home.
Conveniently, the next morning the tow truck driver coordinated to stop by my house on way to service center to drop off luggage we couldn't fit into our ride home.
The individual causes of the Battery System Fault described in the various instances in this thread may not all be the same.

I experienced "Battery System Fault Vehicle, Vehicle Powering Down in 2 minutes" last Sunday while 200 miles from home with a car full of people, luggage and skis. Odometer 7655 miles. I was on my way to a DC fast charger and preconditioning at the time. Was able to get off the NYS Thruway and to a parking lot. Called Roadside Assistance. Determined it was going to be towed to Tysons Service Center. Was told yesterday after several days of diagnostics that it needs a new HV battery. I have no other information at this time.
Of note -- customer service authorizes $300/day for car/hotel expenses for a few days when event occurs while far from home.
Conveniently, the next morning the tow truck driver coordinated to stop by my house on way to service center to drop off luggage we couldn't fit into our ride home.
The individual causes of the Battery System Fault described in the various instances in this thread may not all be the same.
So sorry to hear that.
You were less fortunate than I being 200 miles away plus passengers plus the luggage.
Prep yourself for 3 - 4 weeks of not having your car back.
My latest update form Lucid, HV battery was shipped from Arizona Thursday, arriving to Virginia Monday, scheduled to be replaced Tuesday.
Hopefully, I'll see my car back the week after that.

Sorry to hear this.
Hopefully, you'll get the car back soon.
And thanks for posting the details.
I'm all for data because maybe one day some smart forum members can piece things together for root cause(s).
Am sure Lucid's been looking at all angles, but never hurts to have extra eye.

Sorry to hear this.
Hopefully, you'll get the car back soon.
And thanks for posting the details.
I'm all for data because maybe one day some smart forum members can piece things together for root cause(s).
Am sure Lucid's been looking at all angles, but never hurts to have extra eye.
I may start to collect that data if other forum members feel that will be useful.

Last edited:
I may start to collect that data if other forum members feel that will be useful.
Lucid has a lot more data than we could ever gather, including from owners not on the forum. I am fairly sure that 100% of these cases get reported to service. The forum is more helpful for stuff that may or may not get reported or looked at in the logs.

Lucid has a lot more data than we could ever gather, including from owners not on the forum. I am fairly sure that 100% of these cases get reported to service. The forum is more helpful for stuff that may or may not get reported or looked at in the logs.
There’s no way we will have a large enough sample size here to determine incidence rates. As far as I can tell, we have only about 2 to 3% of owners here on this forum. That said, we will be able to look at build dates and see if there is any trend there. For reference, the build date is located in the driver’s door jamb.

So sorry to hear that.
You were less fortunate than I being 200 miles away plus passengers plus the luggage.
Prep yourself for 3 - 4 weeks of not having your car back.
My latest update form Lucid, HV battery was shipped from Arizona Thursday, arriving to Virginia Monday, scheduled to be replaced Tuesday.
Hopefully, I'll see my car back the week after that.
When it happened we completely lost regen braking. Wondering if you noticed that too?
Fortunately, I still have my Model 3 (which is secretely thankful to be allowed back in the garage after spending the winter in the driveway).

In this day and age, I usually find myself not surprised at any possibility.
Case in point: the entire establishment of medical research of the whole globe, not just the USA, had been working in vain on the causative mechanism for ulcers in the stomach for years, but it fell on a lowly, fresh physician, with limited resources, at a middle-tier hospital, to identify Helicobacter pylori as a culprit. A Nobel prize in medicine was subsequently awarded to him in 2005., and the rest is history.
Perhaps, a major discovery may just be awaiting someone on the forum who can figure out all this, elevating the electro-mechanical sciences.
Tongue in cheek, but one never knows.

Back