RESOLVED Bass is nonexistent (resolved by OTA update)

acsing

Verified Owner
I recently took delivery of a Pure without SSP. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination but the bass is essentially nonexistent in the car. I am upgrading from a 2012 Honda Accord and the sound system was better on that than what I am hearing currently.

The Lucid navigation female voice sounds distorted when she speaks. My brother-in-law was in the car with me, and unprompted, said the same thing.

I saw some posts about intermittent bass drop out but mine is not intermittent. It is all the time. I turned the bass all the way up on the equalizer and it did nothing. I had a service tech come out today to fix some other things and he says everything seems fine but he will ask around. I am concerned that this will not be fixed and unfortunately, it is very annoying to me. none of the hard reset protocols seem to work because the car resets every night and it continues to sound bad. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?

Some people may say that is what I get when I didn’t get SSP, but this is not just no SSP - it is objectively bad sound, no bass, tinny, etc.

Other question is whether there is an objective test the service techs can use to determine whether the speakers are operating correctly?

The Lucid navigation female voice sounds distorted when she speaks. My brother-in-law was in the car with me, and unprompted, said the same thing.
Distorted as if the speaker cone has a hole or sands jumping on its cone? Or it sounds clear, but the pitch is distorted as in a time warp, speed up Mickey Mouse/chip munk, slow down sound?

Mine sounds normal, so that doesn't sound right and that needs to be fixed.

...Some people may say that is what I get when I didn’t get SSP, but this is not just no SSP - it is objectively bad sound, no bass, tinny, etc.
I am not sure, but could that be the case that more money would get you more bass?

Last edited:
Distorted as if the speaker cone has a hole or sands jumping on its cone? Or it sounds clear, but the pitch is distorted as in a time warp, speed up Mickey Mouse/chip munk, slow down sound?

Mine sounds normal, so that doesn't sound right and that needs to be fixed.

I am not sure, but could that be the case that more money would get you more bass?
The voice has a “raspy” sound to it, like some crackling almost. Not sped up or differently pitched

Interesting - I will share this with my service tech and see what he says. Thank you!

EDIT: actually, I reread that post more and I’m not sure it’s the same thing. I don’t have any vibrating issues with the noise, it’s a lack of bass
It’s a TSB they should check out either way.

My bass was good and tight, I had them fix it, and it sounds WAY better now than it ever did.

It’s a TSB they should check out either way.

My bass was good and tight, I had them fix it, and it sounds WAY better now than it ever did.
I shared with my service tech and he said it wasn’t pertinent because that was for the SSP system and mine doesn’t have those speakers since I don’t have SSP

I shared with my service tech and he said it wasn’t pertinent because that was for the SSP system and mine doesn’t have those speakers since I don’t have SSP
Well, there's still very likely something else wrong with your system. So I'd insist on them checking it out.

Yes, waiting to hear back from CS unfortunately. Thanks for everyone's input. very much appreciated

Just took delivery of new Air pure without SSP and I have the same non existence bass sound. Not only the bass is missing, the overall sound quality is worse than my nephew’s 15 yr old bmw 3 series. To be honest the audio is by far the worst I’ve ever experienced on all cars I took delivery In the past 30 yrs.

Just took delivery of new Air pure without SSP and I have the same non existence bass sound. Not only the bass is missing, the overall sound quality is worse than my nephew’s 15 yr old bmw 3 series. To be honest the audio is by far the worst I’ve ever experienced on all cars I took delivery In the past 30 yrs.
That’s concerning - suggest this isn’t a faulty speaker system but the “baseline” expectation for this otherwise luxury car. Service tech said he’s still looking into it but I have low confidence.

Took delivery of an Air Pure without SSP as well and I have the same issue. The sound is pretty terrible, as if it were missing the speaker for mid-bass.
I also didn't feel any vibration from the footwell area so I wonder if there is even a woofer there for non-SSP.

Yes sound is terrible. Also just got my pure last week. There was another thread somewhere that said move the balance to the back because the front speakers are being suppressed even if balance is in the middle. It made it better but still below average but coming from horrible / worse than my old Corolla it's an improvement :)

If you have an iPhone, try CarPlay. It sounds to me like bass gets boosted relative to the Lucid native streaming apps.

I do really hope that it's just some speaker that's incorrectly installed or some software bug, it would be very disappointing if that behaved as expected.

@acsing what did service say?

@xponents awaiting your response.
Almost a clear cut and paste!

How sad is it that we are having to have this type of conversation on an $82k car…
First of all, don't refer to it by its price. I have seen an stripped out racecar with no sound system, does that mean it's trash?

More realistically, I once sat in an Dodge Charger. Hemi. V8. Widebody. Loved the car. But the sound system was worse than my 2 speaker honda accord, strangely. I put some bassy music on it and it felt like the speakers would disintegrate. The price of the car? 110000...

Now in comparison, I took a lucid air on a test drive. Even though I have hearing loss, WOW. The mids were so clear, the bass was tuned to perfection(on my tesla model s test drive about 2 hours later, it was WAY too bassy). And don't forget, I am of the common species "teenager who likes rap with bone vibrating bass." I will concede I have heard not heard the base surround system, but if the teardowns showing that only the dolby atmos channels are correct, the bass should be good. I also will say that sound is to preferences.

Getting to the topic, I would read the guidelines first. Talking about the price of the car in relation to the features is one of the worst ways to constructively talk about something. Mostly, you should diagnose the problem(if there is one) and then if it isn't fixed(haven't heard back from you about the customer service) you can CONSTRUCTIVELY say something like "The bass in this car is somewhat lacking. I was more accustomed to my (other car) sound system with more bass, but going to the Lucid is a step down, in my opinion." (comparisons are fine if you make it an OPINION, unless something is objective which sound is not)

Also, this "82k" car you speak of has demolished many higher priced electric cars in regards to efficiency and performance. Do Rolls Royce spectre owners bitch about their cars, "That Lucid air is 1/7th the price of this car yet it has twice the horsepower and range!! All this on a 550k car...?" No, they do not as there are better things to do and also their cars are better in some ways vs ours. Our cars are the 2nd best driving..(taycan), the most efficient... the most spacious... but would you care about that when you have a Rolls Royce? Appreciate the good things instead of loathing the bad things. As @Bobby loves to say, you catch more flies with tasty honey than disgusting vinegar.

The guidelines prohibit comparing the features of the Air to other priced cars like "Cheaper car has this, Lucid doesnt," I am sure one of our moderators could explain their thought process on this. Please read them, and I apologize if this was a bit droning, I also feel the same way but couldn't get a better explanation in a shorter piece.

Last edited:
Back