Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Two rear side windows and rear window

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Two rear side windows

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rear window only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I did 3M Ceramic 25% sides and back, nothing to the front windshield. Looks great and doesn’t affect visibility at all

I think you might have it backwards. The number is the percentage of light that is allowed to get through. So, 15 is much darker than 35. At the tint shop, they had examples of each of the amounts and several different tinting products. It was easy to choose once I saw a few on the display and actual cars at the place.
Did it make a difference in the use of AC in summer with the tint? What is the legal limit in CA for tinting? Typically what do they charge? I am very sensitive to UV and feel it on I 5.

I did 3M Ceramic IR 35% on the side windows, 3M Crystalline 40% on the back windshield, 3M Crystalline 70% on the front windshield.

At first I had the 35% ceramic IR on side windows and back windshield; when Lucid broke my back windshield (accident), I decided to have them replace it with Crystalline 40% (they don’t make a 35% in Crystalline). That had bubbles (outside vendor wasn’t great) so I had them redo it but still had bubbles, so now I’m getting it redone by OCDetailing and having them pay for it.

The front windshield I didn’t tint when I got the car, but the newer iterations don’t have *quite* as good heat rejection, so I decided to do it; it won’t be a very visible difference at 70% anyway.
Can you post details where you got it done and what they charged?

Can you post details where you got it done and what they charged?

If you don't want to block light and views, get a minimal light blocking nano ceramic tint. It will stop almost all the heat without interfering with light.

I have Photosync IRD, which has slightly better heat rejection than the 3M product. Tinted all of the windows, 70 on the front (to include roof), 30 on the forward sides, and 15 on the rear sides and rear (and top).

I have 3M Crystalline on my other car (ceramic not available at the time) and went much darker, 5% on the rear sides and back. That is really dark, and my night visibility is not that great. Seeing the difference, I am actually thinking about redoing it from 5 to 15.

Did it make a difference in the use of AC in summer with the tint? What is the legal limit in CA for tinting? Typically what do they charge? I am very sensitive to UV and feel it on I 5.
The law is fairly restrictive, but they don’t tend to ticket unless it’s egregious, also because most CHP don’t regularly carry tint meters.

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.

Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows.

Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.

Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

1672172399147.png

P.S. If you’re sensitive to light or UV, you may have photophobia; my wife does, which is why she used to squint behind sunglasses before I found her Maui Jim’s, with rose lenses (the best color for photophobia), with the bimirror gradient coating. She no longer squints. We saw our ophthalmologist later and he diagnosed her with it and wrote us a letter of medical necessity for the tint for the windshield, which serves as a medical exception to the law if it ever does come up - and this is allowed in CA.

I wouldn’t make the windshield anything lower than 70% anyway, but at 70% you won’t notice any significant darkness difference; you’ll feel a huge difference in glare and heat, though.

The law is fairly restrictive, but they don’t tend to ticket unless it’s egregious, also because most CHP don’t regularly carry tint meters.

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.

Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows.

Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.

Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

View attachment 8038

P.S. If you’re sensitive to light or UV, you may have photophobia; my wife does, which is why she used to squint behind sunglasses before I found her Maui Jim’s, with rose lenses (the best color for photophobia), with the bimirror gradient coating. She no longer squints. We saw our ophthalmologist later and he diagnosed her with it and wrote us a letter of medical necessity for the tint for the windshield, which serves as a medical exception to the law if it ever does come up - and this is allowed in CA.

I wouldn’t make the windshield anything lower than 70% anyway, but at 70% you won’t notice any significant darkness difference; you’ll feel a huge difference in glare and heat, though.
My UV sensitivity is skin burn. 15 min of exposure to the sun causes irritation. SPF 50 totally helps for 6 hours. I don't squint. The above info is very helpful. 70% front does block 99% UV it seems.
$200 front and $400 the remaining back windows. $600.
https://bayareadetails.com/3m-crystalline-tint-ocdetailing/ is $700 more.

My UV sensitivity is skin burn. 15 min of exposure to the sun causes irritation. SPF 50 totally helps for 6 hours. I don't squint. The above info is very helpful. 70% front does block 99% UV it seems.
Yeah, OCD isn’t the cheapest but exclusively uses premium films and ensures their work is perfect. Plenty of places are cheaper!

Also, if you can get a doctors note there’s no need to worry about being pulled over; having a skin condition that causes you to burn easily should suffice, I’d imagine.

Yeah, OCD isn’t the cheapest but exclusively uses premium films and ensures their work is perfect. Plenty of places are cheaper!

Also, if you can get a doctors note there’s no need to worry about being pulled over; having a skin condition that causes you to burn easily should suffice, I’d imagine.
If I get even the legal limit tint it blocks 99% of uv. So that is probably what I would do. Someone I lnow went to the above cheaper place in 2013 and it is still fine apparently. That is good enough for me. Anyway I will let him first get it done and see. He too is getting the same car on the same day as me.

On a side note I admire the patient way the moderators deal with some unexpected posts here by non owners who probably did not even reserve a lucid and have no plans to do.

If I get even the legal limit tint it blocks 99% of uv. So that is probably what I would do. Someone I lnow went to the above cheaper place in 2013 and it is still fine apparently. That is good enough for me. Anyway I will let him first get it done and see. He too is getting the same car on the same day as me.

On a side note I admire the patient way the moderators deal with some unexpected posts here by non owners who probably did not even reserve a lucid and have no plans to do.
What I meant is on the windshield; in CA you’re not allowed to tint anything except the top 4” legally.

What I meant is on the windshield; in CA you’re not allowed to tint anything except the top 4” legally.
Got it. The visor works fine for the front sun for me. Problem is usually on the driver's side window when the visor does not block. That happens driving north close to sunset or south close to sunrise.

I tinted the side and rear windows. I did 30 on the driver’s and passenger’s windows and 15 everywhere else. However, I did not do it because of the appearance or the fact that it is a luxury car. I did it because it’s freaking sunny and hot here and I need it to protect my eyes and skin a little!
Did you tint the inside or the windshield, all the way back, at 15?

Tint Plus did my ppf. I really liked them and their work.

I have Photosync IRD, which has slightly better heat rejection than the 3M product. Tinted all of the windows, 70 on the front (to include roof), 30 on the forward sides, and 15 on the rear sides and rear (and top).

I have 3M Crystalline on my other car (ceramic not available at the time) and went much darker, 5% on the rear sides and back. That is really dark, and my night visibility is not that great. Seeing the difference, I am actually thinking about redoing it from 5 to 15.
How are you liking Photosync in Arizona, cactus tint I assume? Anything you would change / recommend to a newbie GT owner?

How are you liking Photosync in Arizona, cactus tint I assume? Anything you would change / recommend to a newbie GT owner?
I've also used Cactus, although I'm in Tucson. I've used Cactus for at least 8 years – actually I was the one who got them to use PhotoSync and become a dealer.

I have 70% for the windshield and the top and 45% all the way around. I've been using PhotoSync in all my cars. It's made a tremendous difference on the car windshields.

I really like the Photosync. I sat in a friend's Lucid that did not have the front/top tinted, and the difference was pretty noticeable. And yes, I went with Cactus Tint and Cactus Wrap (had it wrapped also). Very pleased with their work, they did a really nice job.

I tinted the side and rear windows. I did 30 on the driver’s and passenger’s windows and 15 everywhere else. However, I did not do it because of the appearance or the fact that it is a luxury car. I did it because it’s freaking sunny and hot here and I need it to protect my eyes and skin a little!
Do you have a pic of your tint just wonder what 30s plus 15s look on lucid?

Back