Anyone know of bidirectional charging status?

What did your electrician charge to make the modifications necessary to enable bi-directional charging (once the software necessary to be directional exists) ? I got an estimate from someone I reached thru Qmerit (Lucid's recommended partner) for over $5k !!! What the f--k ???? Anyone else get a quote that was not in the stratosphere?
$5K isn't a huge surprise for a transfer switch / gateway and installation. Best to get a few quotes once the bi-di product is actually released.

Lucid’s pure silence on promises like this and CarPlay is infuriating.
This is the part that I also find particularly frustrating. I notice that so many companies these days are loath to give any forward looking statements about product roadmaps or timelines, and I assume it's because many people take these statements as promises.

I don't need a timeline, I fully understand those can change, but it would be really nice to know "Yes, we're still working on this, the current holdup is ABC, next steps for us are XYZ". That at least lets us plan if we want to make alternative arrangements.

As temps plummet in Texas, still have some PTSD from last year's ice storm Uri when the Texas grid basically failed.
I think I was unfortunately a little too prescient in that statement. Now going on 80 hours with no power at our house due to the ice storm in Austin, last I heard our power is expected to be out until Wednesday. It's warmed up outside now so not a huge deal, but literally the primary reason we got a Lucid (at least among other EVs) is because, at the time, only Lucid and Ford were advertising V2H capabilities. Would have been the perfect use case for this!

What did your electrician charge to make the modifications necessary to enable bi-directional charging (once the software necessary to be directional exists) ? I got an estimate from someone I reached thru Qmerit (Lucid's recommended partner) for over $5k !!! What the f--k ???? Anyone else get a quote that was not in the stratosphere?
Tom Mologney did a cost video for his F-150 (yes, Ford said they’d support V2H and actually delivered it) and all in he was at $18K. Seems a big chunk went to labor and permits.

Tom Mologney did a cost video for his F-150 (yes, Ford said they’d support V2H and actually delivered it) and all in he was at $18K. Seems a big chunk went to labor and permits.
I will stick to my Powerwall for now! $18k is too much !

For that much money, it's a no-brainer to install a natural or LP gas generator instead of relying g on your car for power.

I see many hurdles for bi-directional use of cars. 1. Standards 2. Permits 3. Insurance 4. Battery warranty. The simplest use case is stand-alone
240V 2 phase output and guidelines on how to use it safely without impacting the battery life. I cannot see how the warranty can be 8yrs 100k miles
if the battery is used for something else.

I see many hurdles for bi-directional use of cars.
It's not like other EVs don't already support this, e.g. F150 Lightning and Rivian. Someone commented in the Austin subreddit that they powered their house with a Rivian during the recent ice storm.

I see many hurdles for bi-directional use of cars. 1. Standards 2. Permits 3. Insurance 4. Battery warranty. The simplest use case is stand-alone
240V 2 phase output and guidelines on how to use it safely without impacting the battery life. I cannot see how the warranty can be 8yrs 100k miles
if the battery is used for something else.
There is no difference in hooking a car or a generator to your house. As far as battery wear, most people would only power the house in an emergency and for only a short time. IMHO.

I’ll have to check that out, but wow! Still way cheaper than a bunch of powerwalls I guess.

My understanding is that Lucid is offering V2L as well as V2H. If the total cost of V2H seems too high, perhaps V2L would work. a few very heavy duty extension cords could run a couple of refrigerators. If one wanted to run a toaster oven or microwave, one could just unplug the refrigerators for a few minutes. If the outage isn't too long, this could be an inexpensive way to use the power from the Air.

Exactly what I was able to do during the last Florida hurricane using our Hyundai Ioniq 5 .. it has a 110v plug in the back seat and I ran the fridge for a day

Installed the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station a couple weeks ago - still need to hook up the WiFi but charging has been super fast.

Was curious if anyone has heard any info about the planned bidirectional charging capability? As temps plummet in Texas, still have some PTSD from last year's ice storm Uri when the Texas grid basically failed.

Any news on bi-directional charging. I keep hearing about it, and other companies are rolling it out.

It's been just crickets. No news of anything coming soon.

IMG_0268.gif

It was promised as "coming soon" in late 2021!!

Not sure how long the wait's going to be, I went ahead with a generator.
I'm going ahead with 25kWh of home batteries.

It was promised as "coming soon" in late 2021!!
Yeah, I think that's changed to "not anytime in the near future". Since the website underwent its major overhaul things like Android Auto and V2H have practically disappeared. When it comes to V2H all the wording has changed to "capable" and "under development"

Something to keep note of when they do the final spec reveal for Gravity. Take any features Lucid is selling as "coming soon" after the model launch with a grain of salt.

Back