Pirelli Tire Issue & Warranty Megathread

What is the process for purchasing for purchasing the road hazard warranty for the tires that are original OEMs? Does America’s tire provide the warranty option to purchase for these?
Americas Tire will sell road hazard warranty. They need to inspect the tires to price the warranty.

I have kept our 21" tire that blew out a few days after we picked up our GT. It has no object in the tire, it has a large rounded crescent shape blow out hole in the thickest part of the tread - not on the side wall. We were on the freeway and hit nothing, saw nothing, and only heard nothing but a loud pop and the tire immediately deflated - not a slow leak like if it had a nail in it. These tires should be able to drive on freeways and roads with normal road surfaces/conditions. Both Lucid and Pirelli are claiming road hazard like a pot hole and that is not covered for any form of compensation. Pirelli has gone as far as to tell us that "the customer had a bubble in the side wall from an impact/road hazard and the bubble burst". This is complete non-sense as the hole is clearly not on the side wall. I have seen many other people having problems with their new Lucid Pirelli tires and this just seems like a complete weak spot for Lucid as the tires are literally where the rubber meets the road. If the first point of contact fails then the rest of the car fails and cannot be driven. It's a shame to have a beautifully designed car that the can't really be driven under normal road conditions due to cheap or defective tires. Has anyone thought about doing a class action lawsuit on the Pirelli tires? Lucid says they will send in the tire to Pirelli as a courtesy appeal but they are predicting that Pirelli will not do anything for us. I am opting to keep my tire as evidence in case of a lawsuit, since Lucid said Pirelli will NOT return the tire to me if we send it in. We have had 3 out of the 4 tires have problems in our first 4 months of ownership- I had one hole patched from a nail in the thickest part of the tire (Ludcid said it had to be replaced not patched, I had it patched elsewhere), I have one tire with a gouge in the side wall from an ever so slight curb rub, and then the full blow out on the freeway at day 3. When I asked Lucid where was the warranty paperwork on the tires in our packet or owners manual, Lucid said to expect about 12,000 miles on these tires and there is no warranty, I about fell out of my chair! That's like a new set every 1-1.5 years. Surely they can do better than that on a $150,000 car!
Lucid Rear Drivers Tire Full View Pirelli 21 .jpg
Lucid Rear Drivers Tire Pirelli 21.jpg

You can try to collect from your local government if a pothole caused the blowout. Or considering purchasing road-hazard coverage on your tires.

To win a lawsuit against Pirelli, you’d have to prove negligence or fraud. That’s much more difficult. There are governmental standards they are required to meet to put the tires on the market. You’d have to prove they intentionally violated such standards.

Your legal costs could be huge and there’s no guarantee you’d emerge victorious. That’s a big risk.

Unfortunately the sidewall bubbles with Pirellis are not unique to Lucid . I had 4 sidewall bubbles on Pirellis on my Alfa Romeo and if you look you will see that it is not uncommon on other brands. In addition tires wear faster on EVs due to the weight of the vehicle. One of my friends that owns a Tesla commented on that fact. It's something I was totally unaware of but after he mentioned it I looked it up. The warranty is typically handled by the manufacturer of the tire rather than that of the vehicle. I personally opted for the 20 inch wheels due to my dislike of Pirellis but I don't have the AGT which would have made the choice more difficult. Sorry to hear of all the issues you've had with the tires.

Sorry you've had issues. That gouge in the middle of your tread is from running over something at speed. Is it cold in your part of the country? The semicircular cracks in the tread rubber below and to the left of the gouge in the second photo indicate that the tire likely hit something hard while cold and traveling at speed. Summer-only tires are not meant to be driven in temperatures below about 40-45F. They get glassy at lower temperatures and can suffer permanent damage, like yours did.

Brushing up against the curb will damage a tire if there is any irregularity in the curb, like a joint or a missing chunk in the concrete. We've torn the sidewalls on a couple tires over the years in this manner, though not on our Air yet.

Low-aspect ratio summer-only tires are the high-heels of the automotive world: nice to look at but not the most robust, nor appropriate for all circumstances.

I noticed this tracker seems sort of long, is this feedback being conveyed to actual Lucid company to see if tire is okay?

I don't understand why everyone thinks Lhcid can do anything with this? Are they a tire manufacturer? It's really Pirelli's job to figure out what the problem is. They presumably had a car to test with when developing the tires. What more can Lucid do besides provide a test car and apply some pressure for it to be investigated?

I don't understand why everyone thinks Lhcid can do anything with this? Are they a tire manufacturer? It's really Pirelli's job to figure out what the problem is. They presumably had a car to test with when developing the tires. What more can Lucid do besides provide a test car and apply some pressure for it to be investigated?
Couldnt they suggest a tire that could handle load profile better or perhaps redesign how load is balanced on rears ?

Couldnt they suggest a tire that could handle load profile better or perhaps redesign how load is balanced on rears ?
Again, isn't that Pirellis's job as a tire manufacturer? That is their whole business!

Also worth noting: Lucid has so far produced what? 10k cars? Are they really going to get top priority from any tire company at this stage?

I agree with you 100%!
Not only that Lucid should do that, they should remove all 4 tires completely, redesign the car (wings and such) and introduce hovering device as an option.
Just for your satisfaction!

Okay just so I understand what would you all suggest as a solution to fix the tires? Are you saying this only a Pirelli issue the tires have some defect?

Okay just so I understand what would you all suggest as a solution to fix the tires? Are you saying this only a Pirelli issue the tires have some defect?
I'm not sure anyone on this forum is a tire manufacturer. But if we do have a tire engineer, it'd be cool to hear their opinion. Also, I'm not in the business of telling a company how to run their own business.

I’m not sure that that is the theme here. We don’t have any proof that the Pirellis are any weaker than any other tire. The problem is, there’s not any other options right now. These are very low profile and we’ve had a tough winter and huge potholes opening up here in California, which is where the majority of owners are. My suggestion is to get road hazard warranty on your tires and hope for the best.

Sorry you've had issues. That gouge in the middle of your tread is from running over something at speed. Is it cold in your part of the country? The semicircular cracks in the tread rubber below and to the left of the gouge in the second photo indicate that the tire likely hit something hard while cold and traveling at speed. Summer-only tires are not meant to be driven in temperatures below about 40-45F. They get glassy at lower temperatures and can suffer permanent damage, like yours did.

Brushing up against the curb will damage a tire if there is any irregularity in the curb, like a joint or a missing chunk in the concrete. We've torn the sidewalls on a couple tires over the years in this manner, though not on our Air yet.

Low-aspect ratio summer-only tires are the high-heels of the automotive world: nice to look at but not the most robust, nor appropriate for all circumstances.
We live in Southern California in Orange County not cold at all.

I have gone to this Pirelli site and Lucid is not listed. Has anyone found the correct place to register their tires?
This thread has been very helpful. Thank you. Just wanted to let y'all know that for future reference, the above link would not allow me to put my mailing address in the USA, only in Canada. Multiple browser attempts. The the link is spelled out correctly it kept taking me here (which is incorrect for USA): https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-ca/car/customer-registration

So I went to Pirelli's home site and found this (correct):

Just adding this here for those in CA affected by those darn potholes…

Great find, thank you! Did any one try to make a claim and if so, any outcome? My guess is this will just be, pardon the pun, just spinning your wheels! :oops:

Not planning on a lawsuit nor class action law suit but your thread caught my eye as I just posted about the bubble/bump on the sidewall, which I'm now learning, like @MorganB mentioned, is common with Pirelli! Ugh! 😥

Back