Pirelli Tire Issue & Warranty Megathread

I thought I read a few days ago that Lucid was recalling the Pirelli tires?

Having the same issue with my Air GT. Both front tires have bubbles. Replaced the front driver because it was terrible, and now another bubble on the new tire. Waiting to hear back from my Lucid Service Center Rep who I connected with Pirelli via email. I have hit a total of zero potholes. These tires are terrible. There should be a recall. Even if just counting the number of complaints on this little forum, we are probably looking at at least a 1 % failure rate which is just too high for such an expensive tire. I'm happy to start a petition to have LUCID come up with a better solution. Paying 150-170k for a car and having poor wheel/ tire longevity is not compatible, specifically when it's a "Touring" sedan without a spare. What does the hive mind think?

EDIT: Below is a google forms link that I started. Please fill it out then I can send the data to LUCID headquarters to see what they think about this. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MAreRJon3ZTF0VZdVkohjhYRDCZaePfIeFRLk0Xibvs/edit?usp=sharing
Fabulous idea and just added #17

Quick update:
  1. Called Lucid CS on 10/11/22 - told me I had no hazard warranty but to go to Discount Tire & they may work w/ Pirelli
  2. Went to Discount Tire on 10/12/22 - they said I had to pay directly despite low mileage -- no warranty (and didn't try to call Pirelli)
  3. They ordered the tire.
  4. Submitted email on Pirelli website on 10/12/22
  5. registered tires on Pirelli site on 10/12/22
  6. Pirelli CS called me on 10/13/22 and asked me which Discount Tire I brought the car to ..
  7. Pirelli called the Discount Tire store and told them they'd "good-will" the tire replacement
  8. Discount Tire called me on 10/15 to let me know the tire was in
  9. Dropped off car this morning (10/17) and Picked up car this afternoon .. w/ new tire
Pirelli customer service was very helpful and saved me $$$. If it wasn't for me reaching out directly to Pirelli, I would've had to pay for the replacement myself as Lucid CS and Discount Tire were not able to "do anything".

Thoughts:
  • If you have the 21" wheels w/ the Pirelli tires, I would DEFINITELY register them on the Pirelli website
  • I'm still uneasy about the tires. In the 150 miles of CLT roads that I did drive prior to spotting the bubble.
  • I would rethink my 21" decision, but then I'm reminded of @bhramabull 's blowout experience and it was with the 19" wheels (if I'm not mistaken)
  • Likely that these tires have a product defect ..
  • I'd really like to see an All-season 21" tire that isn't prone to bubbles.
#4: Did you just submit an email through their "contact us" website?

I noticed two sidewall bubbles on my Pure's rear passenger side 19" Pirelli tire within a week of ownership that made my tire look like it had testicles. I did not hit any potholes, and there is no rim damage also. Here's what I learned:

1. Lucid service centers, at this time, are NOT authorized Pirelli dealers. If you are attempting to claim warranty with Pirelli, replacing your affected tire at a Lucid service center decreases your chances of successfully claiming warranty with Pirelli.

2. The affected tire must be inspected as is on its wheel by a authorized Pirelli dealer. Use this authorized Pirelli dealers locator. Do not attempt to remove/replace the tire off its wheel without an authorized Pirelli dealer, as this can void the warranty.

3. The Pirelli's seem very prone to sidewall bubbling, the warranty covers only up to a 1 year after receiving your vehicle or after 2/32" of usable tread. Highly recommend a road hazard warranty with an authorized Pirelli dealer. I got mines warrantied from America's Tire for $40 per tire.

Attached is the Pirelli tire warranty .pdf
Looks like #3 leaves me SOL :oops: as I just detected a bubble after seeing others post about it:
FsuDCZZaEAEj8rj.jpg

I thought I read a few days ago that Lucid was recalling the Pirelli tires?
I had not heard that and just did a search and did not find that but... TELL ME MORE, TELL ME MORE, TELL ME MORE 🤣

I don't understand why everyone thinks Lhcid can do anything with this? Are they a tire manufacturer? It's really Pirelli's job to figure out what the problem is. They presumably had a car to test with when developing the tires. What more can Lucid do besides provide a test car and apply some pressure for it to be investigated?
Sorry but agree to disagree. Many parts on that car are supplied by suppliers whom Lucid has an obligation to their part integrity; witness recalls of the car manufacturer for said parts. Now tires must fail so often or for many other reasons that tire manufacturers have a separate warranty but that does not mean that Lucid is absolved of responsibility in choosing those tires. They are also culpable at following to make sure that the tires do not have defects beyond a certain acceptable threshold. Maybe mid-stream Lucid changes its choice of tire manufacturer at the very least. IMHO 😇

Yes! Crazy! Both had bulges. Both front right, too.
So @DinoJuiceFree created a GoogleDoc form that you can add to on this forum thread:

@Volund can you chime in here real quick, are you the owner that had your tire repaired at licensed Pirelli dealer and was informed that Lucid is recalling these tires?

I got an immediate and personalized reply from Pirelli. I have to say in 2023 that is quite impressive. They even name Lucid Motors as a place that can (limited) help. Here's the email:

"Hi Ian,
We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing trouble with your tire. A bubble in the sidewall of a tire is commonly associated with a tire impact from hitting a pothole, curb, or other obstacle in the road with some force. This forces the tire to bend from the inside, causing a break in the carcass, which allows air penetration to form a bubble in the sidewall. In many cases, these bubbles will not become visible for days or even weeks following the impact. This is considered a road hazard claim and would only be covered by Pirelli on tires that are equipped with Run Flat and/or CYBER technology and are within the first year or first 2/32” of tread, whichever occurs first.

Tires equipped with PNCS (Pirelli Noise Canceling System) Technology that were purchased before June 1, 2022 come with road hazard coverage for the first year or first 2/32" of tread, whichever occurs first. Tires equipped with PNCS (Pirelli Noise Canceling System) Technology that were purchased on or after June 1, 2022 are not eligible for this road hazard coverage. For complete details on this coverage, please see our consumer warranty below:

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/tire-use-guide-warranty/tire-warranty

If you believe your tire qualifies for this coverage, your local Lucid Service Center or preferred authorized Pirelli dealer should be able to assist you in initiating a warranty claim.

If your tire is outside these coverage parameters, we may possibly be able to provide goodwill credit towards a replacement tire. If this is the case, please ask your preferred dealer to give us a call at 1-800-PIRELLI (option 2) and we can discuss what options we have for goodwill credit in this case.

Please note that tire registration is so you can be notified in the event of a recall. Tire registration is not required in order to obtain warranty coverage but we highly recommend you do so for recall notifications.

Thank you,
Pirelli Consumer Affairs
[email protected]
1-800-PIRELLI (option 2)"

I have used Costco in the past. Its road hazard coverage is prorated based on mileage used. Tirerack, on the other hand, appears to completely cover a road hazard for two years.
Discount tire is 3 years with no prorating. Cost me $250. Worth every penny in peace of kind.

Discount tire is 3 years with no prorating. Cost me $250. Worth every penny in peace of kind.
...especially considering that one 19" tire is $250 from Tire Rack or $350 if you buy it from Lucid.

Tires equipped with PNCS (Pirelli Noise Canceling System) Technology that were purchased before June 1, 2022 come with road hazard coverage for the first year or first 2/32" of tread, whichever occurs first. Tires equipped with PNCS (Pirelli Noise Canceling System) Technology that were purchased on or after June 1, 2022 are not eligible for this road hazard coverage.

Sounds like Pirelli "improved" the tire so much that it won't warrantee it any more for road hazard coverage! I would guess that once the company found out that they were getting lots of claims on road hazards that instead of improving the tire they cancelled the warranty. Cheaper and a lot easier than improving the tire.

Back