Tire defect warranty

andylee

Referral Code SIW5Q2L3
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Hi, I am a new Lucid owner. I got my GT 10 days ago. I just found out that a tire has two bubbles on the side. No accident or hitting anything. I contacted the Lucid service. They advised me not to drive the car and will tow my car back to the service center to check.

The service person told me that the tires are not under Lucid warranty, but under the tire company's warranty. I might have to file a claim to the tire company to cover the cost. It's very disappointing. Brand new car with tire defect. Lucid doesn't cover it automatically. Any advise? Thanks a lot!

Hi, I am a new Lucid owner. I got my GT 10 days ago. I just found out that a tire has two bubbles on the side. No accident or hitting anything. I contacted the Lucid service. They advised me not to drive the car and will tow my car back to the service center to check.

The service person told me that the tires are not under Lucid warranty, but under the tire company's warranty. I might have to file a claim to the tire company to cover the cost. It's very disappointing. Brand new car with tire defect. Lucid doesn't cover it automatically. Any advise? Thanks a lot!
What wheels do you have? Sidewall bubbles are more common with the 21" wheels. They are usually caused by hitting a pothole or some road hazard rather than a tire defect. There are multiple threads on this topic if you search. You can also purchase a road hazard warranty from Discount Tire or other tire sellers.

This may be a good thread to review: https://lucidowners.com/threads/has-anyone-replaced-tires-on-lucid-air.854/post-164151

What wheels do you have? Sidewall bubbles are more common with the 21" wheels. They are usually caused by hitting a pothole or some road hazard rather than a tire defect. There are multiple threads on this topic if you search. You can also purchase a road hazard warranty from Discount Tire or other tire sellers.

This may be a good thread to review: https://lucidowners.com/threads/has-anyone-replaced-tires-on-lucid-air.854/post-164151

19" all season tires. Thanks for the link!

Update: Lucid just texted me. The service manager decided to cover the tire cost this one time as a goodwill gesture. It's nice. On the other hand, it means that tire bubbles are not covered by the Lucid warranty.

Update: Lucid just texted me. The service manager decided to cover the tire cost this one time as a goodwill gesture. It's nice. On the other hand, it means that tire bubbles are not covered by the Lucid warranty.
Good news. If you are worried about it, go to a tire store like Discount Tire and purchase the road hazard tire certificates.

I have less than 9,800 miles on my Lucid Air Grand Touring model that was delivered in June of 2022. I have gone through 6 of the 21" stock Pirelli tires that were on my car when it was delivered. Lucid has been of no help. They claim they are not responsible for the tires which were sold by Pirelli even though Lucid sold them to me with no warning or suggestion that they were not suitable for standard city roads. Lucid is responsible to designing and selling a car that can drive on ordinary roads that have occasional pot holes. Late in 2023 they started pushing me to buy 20" wheels and tires at a cost of more than $6,100. I did that in October 2023. I have had no problems since. Lots of people appear to have this issue with the 21" wheels and I am looking to bringing a class action lawsuit.

I have less than 9,800 miles on my Lucid Air Grand Touring model that was delivered in June of 2022. I have gone through 6 of the 21" stock Pirelli tires that were on my car when it was delivered. Lucid has been of no help. They claim they are not responsible for the tires which were sold by Pirelli even though Lucid sold them to me with no warning or suggestion that they were not suitable for standard city roads. Lucid is responsible to designing and selling a car that can drive on ordinary roads that have occasional pot holes. Late in 2023 they started pushing me to buy 20" wheels and tires at a cost of more than $6,100. I did that in October 2023. I have had no problems since. Lots of people appear to have this issue with the 21" wheels and I am looking to bringing a class action lawsuit.
Thread 'I'm Considering a Class Action Suit'
https://lucidowners.com/threads/im-considering-a-class-action-suit.7600/

I replaced my 4th 21" tire on Sunday. Small bump in the road and boom 2 bubbles one on each side. These Pirelli Tires are awful and I replaced 4 now on less than 9000 miles.

I replaced my 4th 21" tire on Sunday. Small bump in the road and boom 2 bubbles one on each side. These Pirelli Tires are awful and I replaced 4 now on less than 9000 miles.
I just replaced all four of mine. One of them got two screws in it after running through a construction site near my home. That one was free with the Discount Tire warranty. The other three were worn enough at 21,000 miles. I do admit that I carefully avoid potholes and I would never take this car somewhere where it was cold enough to cause damage to these dedicated summer-only tires. Otherwise, I think they’ve been excellent.

When I ordered my Lucid GT, the salesperson kept "pushing" me for 19" wheels. There wasn't a GT locally with the desired spec and 19" wheels. She had to ask the service center to replace the 21" wheels on the car with a new set of 19". Well, I live in the SF bay area. The highways here are terrible. Potholes, uneven surfaces, etc. 21" wheels probably won't survive long here. Now, I appreciate her advice on the 19" wheels.

When I ordered my Lucid GT, the salesperson kept "pushing" me for 19" wheels. There wasn't a GT locally with the desired spec and 19" wheels. She had to ask the service center to replace the 21" wheels on the car with a new set of 19". Well, I live in the SF bay area. The highways here are terrible. Potholes, uneven surfaces, etc. 21" wheels probably won't survive long here. Now, I appreciate her advice on the 19" wheels.
I live in the SF Bay Area too. The roads are fine. There are more potholes when it rains, but it’s definitely not “terrible.” Most of the South US? That’s terrible roads (Texas and Florida being the notable exceptions)

Anyway, I have popped zero 21s, and two 19s. Part of it is luck, most of it is how you drive. 21s require paying serious attention, but the ride is so much better.

Anyway, to each their own. But 21s are no problem in the bay, if you pay attention.

I live in the SF Bay Area too. The roads are fine. There are more potholes when it rains, but it’s definitely not “terrible.” Most of the South US? That’s terrible roads (Texas and Florida being the notable exceptions)

Anyway, I have popped zero 21s, and two 19s. Part of it is luck, most of it is how you drive. 21s require paying serious attention, but the ride is so much better.

Anyway, to each their own. But 21s are no problem in the bay, if you pay attention.

101 between Palo Alto and San Jose, 85 between Cupertino and 101, etc have many potholes. There are even series of potholes between the lanes, and it's hard to switch lanes without hitting some. Given the tax dollars that we pay to CA, I would say the highways here are terrible.

101 between Palo Alto and San Jose, 85 between Cupertino and 101, etc have many potholes. There are even series of potholes between the lanes, and it's hard to switch lanes without hitting some. Given the tax dollars that we pay to CA, I would say the highways here are terrible.
That is because of the last year or two of monsoons; that’s my point. We had a drought for well over a decade, and we stopped having to worry about potholes as a result.

As moisture freezes in the road, it expands and then when it melts it shrinks, over time and through many cycles of this, it can crack and degrade the quality of roads.

Heavy vehicles like trucks cause tons of damage; an 18,000 lb truck causes about 5000x more damage than a 2000 lb Miata. It is not linear.

Obviously wealthier areas will have more money for repairing roads at a higher quality.

Rain can get into the foundation below the asphalt and weaken it, and cause potholes to form.

Intense sunlight is coupled with intense UV rays, which are invisible but extremely damaging to asphalt surfaces by speeding up the deterioration process. Ultraviolet rays break down your asphalt by weakening the bonds of the oils/components within it.

Now, the “fixing” process is getting spun up again, and that is taking some time. Presently, there are lots of potholes - agreed. That will not be the case eventually, and that will be specifically *because* of our tax dollars at work.

But that’s not what I mean by bad roads. The lanes are wide, they are rarely closed, HOV lanes abound, and the roads are generally very well-banked and curved. They’re not perfect, but they are far from the worst, imho.

Also, I drive those roads literally daily (I live in Cupertino). I have yet to pop a 21 in over two years of driving them with the Lucid. The potholes are avoidable. You just have to pay attention.

Of course, that doesn’t mean I don’t want the roads better and fixed.

That is because of the last year or two of monsoons; that’s my point. We had a drought for well over a decade, and we stopped having to worry about potholes as a result.

As moisture freezes in the road, it expands and then when it melts it shrinks, over time and through many cycles of this, it can crack and degrade the quality of roads.

Heavy vehicles like trucks cause tons of damage; an 18,000 lb truck causes about 5000x more damage than a 2000 lb Miata. It is not linear.

Obviously wealthier areas will have more money for repairing roads at a higher quality.

Rain can get into the foundation below the asphalt and weaken it, and cause potholes to form.

Intense sunlight is coupled with intense UV rays, which are invisible but extremely damaging to asphalt surfaces by speeding up the deterioration process. Ultraviolet rays break down your asphalt by weakening the bonds of the oils/components within it.

Now, the “fixing” process is getting spun up again, and that is taking some time. Presently, there are lots of potholes - agreed. That will not be the case eventually, and that will be specifically *because* of our tax dollars at work.

But that’s not what I mean by bad roads. The lanes are wide, they are rarely closed, HOV lanes abound, and the roads are generally very well-banked and curved. They’re not perfect, but they are far from the worst, imho.

Also, I drive those roads literally daily (I live in Cupertino). I have yet to pop a 21 in over two years of driving them with the Lucid. The potholes are avoidable. You just have to pay attention.

Of course, that doesn’t mean I don’t want the roads better and fixed.
I agree. One who doesn't like the traffic conditions in the Bay area should check out its principal competitor: the Boston area. There, during rush hour, the state turns the breakdown lane on route 128 into a traffic lane. One can imagine what can happen there.

I have a Pure with 19" tires. I only have 4000 miles on the car and have a sidewall bubble on one front tire. Received the same response from Lucid regarding warranty. This is very disappointing but hopefully will receive some compensation from Pirelli.

I have a Pure with 19" tires. I only have 4000 miles on the car and have a sidewall bubble on one front tire. Received the same response from Lucid regarding warranty. This is very disappointing but hopefully will receive some compensation from Pirelli.
This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. You’re not going to get any compensation from Pirelli. Your best bet is to purchase certifications from Discount Tire or America’s Tire that will protect you in case of damage from a road hazard. Too late for that one though.

This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. You’re not going to get any compensation from Pirelli. Your best bet is to purchase certifications from Discount Tire or America’s Tire that will protect you in case of damage from a road hazard. Too late for that one though.
It’s worth trying with Pirelli; they have, rarely, approved good will discounts / refunds. But that’s unusual.

And yes, unfortunately neither Lucid nor Pirelli will reimburse for bubbles, even though Pirelli arguably should.

Get the DT/AT certs.

Is Pirelli the only option for 21 inch tires??m I thought Michelin had some were recommended as well

Has a 5,200 lb. vehicle ever been fitted with such low profile tires as the Lucid Air with 21’s as an OEM fitment? I think we are learning it may not be a good idea.

There is 100 years of history that tire manufactures are responsible for the warranty on their product not the vehicle brand.

Has a 5,200 lb. vehicle ever been fitted with such low profile tires as the Lucid Air with 21’s as an OEM fitment? I think we are learning it may not be a good idea.

There is 100 years of history that tire manufactures are responsible for the warranty on their product not the vehicle brand.
Personally, I’ve been very happy with my 21” wheels and Perelli tires. I am on my second set and enjoying them very much. Admittedly I’m careful around potholes but that’s a small price to pay for the look and handling.

Back