Any minds changed about getting Air due to this forum?

I’ve been a Lucid enthusiast for quite some time. I want them to succeed and love the car. Have a deposit for a GT with a VIN scheduled for about 2 weeks. But, I’ll be honest…following this Forum closely I’m very concerned about some of the quality issues and now am 50/50 (at best) at whether to proceed.
If you decide to buy now, you should go in fully expecting there to be various issues. It comes with the territory of being an early adopter of a brand new OEM, regardless of whether the car costs $30K, $150K, or $1M.

The question is:
1) How significant are the issues
2) How well is Lucid addressing the issues

Based on what I've read on these forums, the issues are not significant enough to make people regret getting the car.

Ultimately I am in the same boat as you and watching these forums to get insight into #1 and #2 above. I'm also doing some soul searching on whether I'd be satisfied going from 911 to a large heavy sedan 😅

You are a lot braver than I am. I would never consider a Air if a service center was over 3 hours away. Under those conditions I would have waited until more centers were in operation. I am fortunate that mine is 40 minutes away in Houston, Texas. Here on the farm I also have diesel trucks and tilt trailers available to carry any sized car if necessary.
We have a farm in far north texas and the service rep stated if the car is required to go to Houston for service, the service tech trailers it to Houston. (no miles get added to the car for the trip). I do not regret the purchase decision. In the course of many car buying experiences, I have never ever purchased a car that did not need warranty work of some sort or another. This is not unique to Lucid, the difference is in how they manage it. And that experience has been stellar!

If you decide to buy now, you should go in fully expecting there to be various issues. It comes with the territory of being an early adopter of a brand new OEM, regardless of whether the car costs $30K, $150K, or $1M.

The question is:
1) How significant are the issues
2) How well is Lucid addressing the issues

Based on what I've read on these forums, the issues are not significant enough to make people regret getting the car.

Ultimately I am in the same boat as you and watching these forums to get insight into #1 and #2 above. I'm also doing some soul searching on whether I'd be satisfied going from 911 to a large heavy sedan 😅

I got DE #154 and probably had more problems with it early on that most of the other owners who post on this forum, and the first couple of months were not without their frustrations.

However, Lucid was quick to get on every single issue, and now I'm driving a car that is virtually problem-free on the hardware side. The software still falls short of modern standards, but it seems to be improving with OTA updates and even occasionally without updates.

We are also on our second Tesla Model S (a 2021 Plaid), and I can assure you that we have had more quality issues from this company that has been making cars for a decade than we have had with the Lucid.

Bottom line: the Plaid is rapidly slipping into backup car status for us. The Air is far roomier and more comfortable, has a more solid structure, handles more precisely, is quieter, and rides on a more compliant suspension than the Model S. It is just a better car all around. We have owned an array of premium cars (mostly German), and the Air is the best vehicle that I have ever driven.

My car has been into the service center 6 times for a total of roughly 21 days of ownership.

I'd still buy it again
All of your posts have been really helpful, a lot of great insights. Mine hasn’t made it out of the garage much in two weeks. I’m clearly not as patient.

The hardest part for me is everyone who sees it wants to ask all about it. That’s even more frustrating since it’s still not street legal 😢 (#1 above)

My AMG EQS has none of the issues that my DE has had. I am not a Mercedes fan, but the car just works. The DE is faster, has more range and charges a little faster so I am keeping it, for now.

Just curious. How did you get your AMG EQS? It's not showing on the Mercedes USA website. Although "Car & Driver" has driven one, "InsideEVS" reports it's going to become available to consumers in the U.S. in late summer 2022.

I am mixed. Majority seems to enjoy the ride quality and after seeing it in person I really want it but actual range and issues makes me wonder if I should just wait several more years though waiting is double edged. More EV models coming out but I'm also very concerned with price increases. Whatever next car I'm getting I expect to keep it at least 10 years so I want to be certain it's the right car. Also curious how Lucid will do in car crashes. Explosions? Violent burning? One thing I fear about EVs.

I learned about actual range from people vs EPA estimate to be significantly less and because of that I don't want to consider any EV with less than 400mi so I'm technically stuck with the Air (or EQS because that got 400+mi on Edmunds test). I at least want a round trip to SF and San Jose on a single charge. Both ~110mi each way or ~220mi round trip plus some driving around ~40mi so 260mi. 85% of EPA, 15% battery degradation, 10% remaining battery cushion... That 400mi range hits 260mi perfectly. I'm thinking that eventually by the time I hit more than 15% degradation there will be significantly more EV stations.

Just curious. How did you get your AMG EQS? It's not showing on the Mercedes USA website. Although "Car & Driver" has driven one, "InsideEVS" reports it's going to become available to consumers in the U.S. in late summer 2022.
They are avail already and on U.S. roads...

I am mixed. Majority seems to enjoy the ride quality and after seeing it in person I really want it but actual range and issues makes me wonder if I should just wait several more years though waiting is double edged. More EV models coming out but I'm also very concerned with price increases. Whatever next car I'm getting I expect to keep it at least 10 years so I want to be certain it's the right car. Also curious how Lucid will do in car crashes. Explosions? Violent burning? One thing I fear about EVs.

I learned about actual range from people vs EPA estimate to be significantly less and because of that I don't want to consider any EV with less than 400mi so I'm technically stuck with the Air (or EQS because that got 400+mi on Edmunds test). I at least want a round trip to SF and San Jose on a single charge. Both ~110mi each way or ~220mi round trip plus some driving around ~40mi so 260mi. 85% of EPA, 15% battery degradation, 10% remaining battery cushion... That 400mi range hits 260mi perfectly. I'm thinking that eventually by the time I hit more than 15% degradation there will be significantly more EV stations.
Part of your comment about safety is an unknown to me. Anyone know when we ought to be able to expect crash test rating info to be made public?

I'm not sure where you are coming from, but that trip sounds rather easy for the Air and also there are lots of charging stations around the Bay Area, so that should not be a concern at all. I drove about 150 miles just the other day and got 90% of range (4.2 overall) doing a loop from Los Gatos up to Half Moon Bay and back.

I'm not sure where you are coming from, but that trip sounds rather easy for the Air and also there are lots of charging stations around the Bay Area, so that should not be a concern at all. I drove about 150 miles just the other day and got 90% of range (4.2 overall) doing a loop from Los Gatos up to Half Moon Bay and back.

Yeah, I make this trip regularly and come home regularly with >100mi left of range after charging to 80%. If I need to, I just stop at an EA for 5-10 min, but I rarely need to.

He called his dealer who was able to find one that wasn't already assigned to someone so he was able to grab it.
I know of at least 1 person who was explicitly told when ordering the EQS580 that it would be at list price because of the buyer being such a "long-term, valuable customer and relationship." When the car came in, the salesperson broke his word flat-out and said $25K over list. The answer was an easy "no thanks to the car, and goodbye to you for breaking your word." They called him back 3 weeks later to say he could have the car at list. No chance of that happening, nor buying a car from that salesperson ever again. And he bought a different brand / model from another dealer and is very happy.

I know of at least 1 person who was explicitly told when ordering the EQS580 that it would be at list price because of the buyer being such a "long-term, valuable customer and relationship." When the car came in, the salesperson broke his word flat-out and said $25K over list. The answer was an easy "no thanks to the car, and goodbye to you for breaking your word." They called him back 3 weeks later to say he could have the car at list. No chance of that happening, nor buying a car from that salesperson ever again. And he bought a different brand / model from another dealer and is very happy.
Same thing happened to me but the dealer only added $5K, because we were not from CA so thought that I was not going to "flip it", and the AMG version of the EQS was next to impossible to get so I paid it. My wife loves it so we will keep it.

That is the tradeoff. Legacy manufacturers like MB, BMW and Audi have long history making software work (mostly). But, as MiniputerLM said, the tradeoff is more range and faster charging. This is why I reserved a Pure. I figure that by the time they get to me, they will have figured it all out or I will look elsewhere.
I wouldn’t say that. The infotainment system in my Taycan Turbo is a joke, reversing camera is useless and they do “OTA” via a day trip to the dealer. That being said it’s mechanically marvellous. I’ll be trading it for a GT-P all being well though.

I have driven the BMW iX and loved it! BUT, it is slower than my DE, has less range and charges slower. I think that if I had not bought the DE in December, I would buy the BMW or maybe the "M" series iX when it comes out.
Add in being ugly as well. But...on the other hand, the BMW software works well and isn't awfully slower nor does it charge very much slower. Now a bit more range and a better designer and.................

Yeah, I make this trip regularly and come home regularly with >100mi left of range after charging to 80%. If I need to, I just stop at an EA for 5-10 min, but I rarely need to.

I live in Sacramento area. Elk Grove specifically. The range even on the 400mi Air is still one of the best no doubt about that but now knowing more about actual ranges I went from "Range is perfect I totally don't have to worry about round trips to SF/San Jose" to "I may likely have to plan and think about possibly charging especially if I drive around". Though I should be able to charge for 10-15 mins and make it back home.

Add in being ugly as well. But...on the other hand, the BMW software works well and isn't awfully slower nor does it charge very much slower. Now a bit more range and a better designer and.................
The new BWM "ginormous" grills are butt ugly. The iX that I drove was a dark blue the the grill didn't stand out that much, however, I am one of a very few that think the Lucids are ugly too! Sorry...

BTW, I think that my wife's AMG EQS is ugly. 😇

The new BWM "ginormous" grills are butt ugly. The iX that I drove was a dark blue the the grill didn't stand out that much, however, I am one of a very few that think the Lucids are ugly too! Sorry...

BTW, I think that my wife's AMG EQS is ugly. 😇
Now I'm curious, what EV is beautiful?

If you want a perfect car then wait 3 years. It’s unrealistic to think that from a brand new car company that it was going to be perfect, no matter what Peter said. Speak to early Tesla owners and see what they had to say about where the company started to where it is today.

There is a reason for the term “early adopter” and you have to take the good with the bad.

Back