An idea for cooling the garage while charging

Steveinarizona

Cars
Genesis GV60 Performance
I am thinking that my hot water heater is about ready for a replacement. I remembered seeing an episode of This Old House where they installed a heat pump water heater/ As a heat pump, of course, it draws heat out of the room to heat the water so it will function as a quasi AC system.

What do you all think? Time to replace a standard water heater with a heat pump version?

I am thinking that my hot water heater is about ready for a replacement. I remembered seeing an episode of This Old House where they installed a heat pump water heater/ As a heat pump, of course, it draws heat out of the room to heat the water so it will function as a quasi AC system.

What do you all think? Time to replace a standard water heater with a heat pump version?
Now is the perfect time...

Provides up to $14,000 per household including $8,000 for heat pumps, $1,750 for heat pump water heaters, and $840 for electric stoves.
Also includes rebates for improvements to electrical panels or wiring and home insulation or sealant.
Eligible recipients must fall below 150% of the area median income.

I like the idea. Don’t know much about brands or installers. Service in Az sometimes can be sketchy.
I’m due for a water heater refresh, too.

The catch is you must fall below 150% of the area median income. Might require some interesting gymnastics to make it work. And that may not be worth the effort. The law seems to be full of here is a gift but wait not for you! Maybe the stock market will help out this year....

I'm due for a new water heater anyway.
If this can help cool down the garage, I'm ok without the rebates .

Now is the perfect time...

Provides up to $14,000 per household including $8,000 for heat pumps, $1,750 for heat pump water heaters, and $840 for electric stoves.
Also includes rebates for improvements to electrical panels or wiring and home insulation or sealant.
Eligible recipients must fall below 150% of the area median income.
How do I find out the area median income? My block; my town; my county; my state???

How do I find out the area median income? My block; my town; my county; my state???
I would imagine the IRS would do it by zip code but maybe town, maybe who knows. I goggled Scottsdale it was was 90K or so. But there are areas higher and much lower. Typically the rules are to come. And there goes your credit.

I'm just trying to find a good solution for the hot garage in hot Arizona and vampire drains. Making hot water while cooling the garage seems like a win/win unless I am missing something. One problem I might have is that my water heater is in a closet off the garage. But I figure I can just permanently remove the door.

I'm just trying to find a good solution for the hot garage in hot Arizona and vampire drains. Making hot water while cooling the garage seems like a win/win unless I am missing something. One problem I might have is that my water heater is in a closet off the garage. But I figure I can just permanently remove the door.
I have no knowledge of how any of this works, but wouldn't it only cool the garage to produce hot water if the reserve is gone? Otherwise, doesn't it just sit in the tank and not extract the heat?

I had one of the original GE Geosprings in a basement in NJ around 2010 or so. It noticeably made the area cooler for sure

I have no knowledge of how any of this works, but wouldn't it only cool the garage to produce hot water if the reserve is gone? Otherwise, doesn't it just sit in the tank and not extract the heat?
Correct. I have a heat pump for my swimming pool. I can heat the pool in the winter and cool the pool in the summer. In the case of a hot water heater it sits on top of what looks like a regular hot water heater. Here is a random example:

So if the temperature in the heater is already at maximum, it won't operate just as my swimming pool pump won't run if the pool temp is in the correct band. I am not expecting it to act like a real AC system, just to somewhat control the heat from the charging process in what is already a hot garage.

I was at Safelite on Raintree this morning for my semi-annual windshield repair visit. Stopped by Van Marcke Pro Plumbing supply next door. They stock only one model for the heat pump water heater, by Ruud. This is 50 gallons, $1,895.

They also have a brochure for State Water Heaters, a TN company. The top of the line, Proline XE models, are 50, 66, and 80 gallons. Dimensions for the 66-gallon model: height 61, width 27. They don’t stock this yet and would have to call the company Monday for pricing.

Installers: Apple, Ziyiz, Demotica, and Zeist/Zest -don’t hold me to the spellings, though.

I was at Safelite on Raintree this morning for my semi-annual windshield repair visit. Stopped by Van Marcke Pro Plumbing supply next door. They stock only one model for the heat pump water heater, by Ruud. This is 50 gallons, $1,895.

They also have a brochure for State Water Heaters, a TN company. The top of the line, Proline XE models, are 50, 66, and 80 gallons. Dimensions for the 66-gallon model: height 61, width 27. They don’t stock this yet and would have to call the company Monday for pricing.

Installers: Apple, Ziyiz, Demotica, and Zeist/Zest -don’t hold me to the spellings, though.
Thanks. I just emailed the company that did my water treatment equipment to ask if they do the heat pumps.

BTW...on my DD I have been driving for more than a year with a couple of small chips. Not in my direct line of sight so I am living with it rather than replacing the windshield again. But, somewhat to my surprise, Safelite did a good job when they did replace my windshield and I have all the cameras and a HUD so it was not a simple replacement.

Thanks. I just emailed the company that did my water treatment equipment to ask if they do the heat pumps.

BTW...on my DD I have been driving for more than a year with a couple of small chips. Not in my direct line of sight so I am living with it rather than replacing the windshield again. But, somewhat to my surprise, Safelite did a good job when they did replace my windshield and I have all the cameras and a HUD so it was not a simple replacement.
Let us know what you find out about the water heater.
I also try to hold on to windshields as long as I can, too.. Don't want to fill up the landfill or spend another $300 for tinting.

I wouldn't expect a heat pump system for 50-80 gallon water heater to sufficiently cool a large garage. Especially if the hot water heater sits in the same hot garage. If the garage is 130 deg and the water heater wants 120 degree, there is not a lot of work to be done. Perhaps a more traditional room air conditioner would make more sense but the cost could get crazy. Not sure of the math on all this. How much heat is generated by the charging process? What is the ambient temp in the garage in summer?

I wouldn't expect a heat pump system for 50-80 gallon water heater to sufficiently cool a large garage. Especially if the hot water heater sits in the same hot garage. If the garage is 130 deg and the water heater wants 120 degree, there is not a lot of work to be done. Perhaps a more traditional room air conditioner would make more sense but the cost could get crazy. Not sure of the math on all this. How much heat is generated by the charging process? What is the ambient temp in the garage in summer?
This is an interesting comment. But the pump will only run when the water temp drops.

Inn hot summer days (105 plus) my garage tends to run around 90. I have interior space on two sides, an insulated garage door on the third side and partially shaded fourth side. I don't expect the heat pump to drop the temperature to 77 but if it can help a little, especially when the Lucid is charging, I think it should help.

Stumbled onto a website by a Physics Ph.D. , energyvanguard.com, who has a lot of info on heat pump water heater.
Sounds like a condensate line is needed and I'm not sure how to handle that, given the heater is inside my garage.

Stumbled onto a website by a Physics Ph.D. , energyvanguard.com, who has a lot of info on heat pump water heater.
Sounds like a condensate line is needed and I'm not sure how to handle that, given the heater is inside my garage.
Mine too but the AC condensor line is not far away so I am thinking that in my case the installer might be able to tap into that.

I suppose I can make a hole thru the wall, but not really want to deal with stucco repair if I can avoid the hassle.

Back