An idea for cooling the garage while charging

You could install a “whole home fan” in the garage. It’s super easy and would really help pull hot air out in the afternoons.
I have a huge glass arch window facing SW and garage facing W. My wife took out the tree in front of that window. I have ordered a shutter to block that window then insulate garage door. My last resort would be air hawk or exhaust vent. I have a non accessible attic above that garage.

I have a huge glass arch window facing SW and garage facing W. My wife took out the tree in front of that window. I have ordered a shutter to block that window then insulate garage door. My last resort would be air hawk or exhaust vent. I have a non accessible attic above that garage.

An insulated garage door can make a big difference. Two of our dark-painted double garage doors catch direct morning sun, and the third door catches direct afternoon sun. The outside of the doors get hot to the touch while the inside surfaces feel the same as the ambient air temperature in the garage.

You can get wall-mount exhaust fans, too, if your attic is not an option.

My Tucson neighbor does not have solar so did not want to do the ductless heat pump garage HVAC system. He had a exhaust fan installed in one wall (24 inch fan) and two one way louvered access holes put in the double car garage door. He states his garage is at least 5-10 degrees cooler than before. Of course, it was a lot less expensive than my setup but works well. The exhaust fan is on a thermostatic switch so only goes on when it reaches a certain temperature.

My Tucson neighbor does not have solar so did not want to do the ductless heat pump garage HVAC system. He had a exhaust fan installed in one wall (24 inch fan) and two one way louvered access holes put in the double car garage door. He states his garage is at least 5-10 degrees cooler than before. Of course, it was a lot less expensive than my setup but works well. The exhaust fan is on a thermostatic switch so only goes on when it reaches a certain temperature.
We have something similar in our other house. My husband built a wine room into the garage and the heat from the cooler for the room heats up the garage quite a bit in the summer. We have an exhaust fan cut into the wall that automatically kicks on once it reaches a set temp.

I like the idea. Don’t know much about brands or installers. Service in Az sometimes can be sketchy.
I’m due for a water heater refresh, too.
I'm thinking about putting a heating pad under car for winter (WV). Will that help with performance/charging?

I have a technician coming out on September 1st to check out my space and facilities and (a) let me know if I can do it and (b) give me a quote assuming I can.

I have a technician coming out on September 1st to check out my space and facilities and (a) let me know if I can do it and (b) give me a quote assuming I can.
He was out today. Unfortunately, it won't fit in the closet where my hot water heater currently sits. But he can run the pipes about ten feet and install it in the garage outside the closet. I am considering that option. Not as clean an installation but, on the other hand, it will vent directly into the full garage which could help.

He was out today. Unfortunately, it won't fit in the closet where my hot water heater currently sits. But he can run the pipes about ten feet and install it in the garage outside the closet. I am considering that option. Not as clean an installation but, on the other hand, it will vent directly into the full garage which could help.
That's not a bad idea if you have the space. Which brand did he recommend?

That's not a bad idea if you have the space. Which brand did he recommend?
He didn't say. I thought it would be on the estimate but it wasn't. I plan to ask since I specifically told him I wanted to look up the efficiency numbers on the internet.

I also plan to get at least one more quote. His was for a total of $4,250 which was for a 50 gallon unit, removing the old one, running pipes about fifteen feet through a closet wall and doing the same for electrical service, removing some water purification materials to get at the old water heater and do the piping and then reinstalling those. That would put the water heater right beside the car. I am thinking that would be a good thing as the water heater would be removing heat from the vicinity.

He didn't say. I thought it would be on the estimate but it wasn't. I plan to ask since I specifically told him I wanted to look up the efficiency numbers on the internet.

I also plan to get at least one more quote. His was for a total of $4,250 which was for a 50 gallon unit, removing the old one, running pipes about fifteen feet through a closet wall and doing the same for electrical service, removing some water purification materials to get at the old water heater and do the piping and then reinstalling those. That would put the water heater right beside the car. I am thinking that would be a good thing as the water heater would be removing heat from the vicinity.
Steve
IMHO you can do a ductless heat pump HVAC system for that price and it is more efficient and effective than a water heater unit. There are numerous ones in my Tucson neighborhood.

Steve
IMHO you can do a ductless heat pump HVAC system for that price and it is more efficient and effective than a water heater unit. There are numerous ones in my Tucson neighborhood.
It is not the unit cost. I agree that I could do an AC unit cheaper. But I still will need a new water heater in the near future (my estimate was $1700 for that) but more importantly, every time I open the garage door I am air conditioning greater Scottsdale!

What am I missing here?

It is not the unit cost. I agree that I could do an AC unit cheaper. But I still will need a new water heater in the near future (my estimate was $1700 for that) but more importantly, every time I open the garage door I am air conditioning greater Scottsdale!

What am I missing here?
I just plan my unit usage. I shut it off when I have the door open but when the door is closed and I am charging, I turn it on. Not hard to do and I rarely open my garage door during the heat of the day unless I am cleaning garage out... and as you mentioned, I have solar so not too worried about energy cost yet.

I just plan my unit usage. I shut it off when I have the door open but when the door is closed and I am charging, I turn it on. Not hard to do and I rarely open my garage door during the heat of the day unless I am cleaning garage out... and as you mentioned, I have solar so not too worried about energy cost yet.

With Solar, I can understand. II also forgot to mention that ,my electrical panel is maxed out and cannot be upgraded without trenching my lawn to bring in another line from the street (I have 225 service, would need another line to go to 400). Going to the heat pump would replace one 4500 watt appliance with another; adding a mini split would add another large appliance which I can't do.

With Solar, I can understand. II also forgot to mention that ,my electrical panel is maxed out and cannot be upgraded without trenching my lawn to bring in another line from the street (I have 225 service, would need another line to go to 400). Going to the heat pump would replace one 4500 watt appliance with another; adding a mini split would add another large appliance which I can't do.
Yea, I have 200 amp and wish I had upgraded to 400 amp with a 100 amp circuit to garage. I paid alot for solar and Tesla powerwalls but opted not to upgrade panel at that time. Probably a big mistake...but feel USA needs to get on the roll with power infrastructure upgrades. I envision Bill Gates new mini-nuclear powerplants will be the future.

Did your guy actually think it would result in a cooler garage? I just cant get my head around the math of running a heat pump of any type in AZ. We had a very old water heater in Scottsdale and traded it out for a tankless last year. Big drop in gas bill and no more heat radiation into the garage. Not sure it made a big difference for summer heat.

Did your guy actually think it would result in a cooler garage? I just cant get my head around the math of running a heat pump of any type in AZ. We had a very old water heater in Scottsdale and traded it out for a tankless last year. Big drop in gas bill and no more heat radiation into the garage. Not sure it made a big difference for summer heat.
I have 7 tons of heat pumps to cool/heat the house. I have another heat pump at the pool to heat/cool the pool. What is one more?

Tankless is not an option for me...no gas at the house (I got a quote a couple of years ago to bring the gas line down a half mile to my house...the gas company wanted $ 43K to do it. That led to my pool heat pump.

Another heat source plugged. Waited 3+ months
4D8B89E4-CD1A-4F29-8532-1401EAE702F4.jpeg
01AFF7C7-61CC-4BC2-A571-680F037B6F37.jpeg
to get the shutters in to replace my Venetian blinds and open arch in garage.

Thanks for the info. would guess that the labor for the job is 2k, based on this estimate.
I don’t have any lead on the installation so will likely use the same company if they‘re satisfactory to you.

I see you took the pictures during our last monsoon storms. Great rainfall and green desert and mountains.
We are in 2 weeks raining season in Texas. We are also out of wind in west Texas wind farm.

Back