Air touring configuration

The prices are already set for the Lucid in all trim levels. It's only the options that are in question and there are very few options for any of the trim levels. Dream drive pro and the optional 'surreal sound' system are really the only two significant options available for those trim levels that don't have it standard. The only other things are wheels & interior leather choices. This isn't rocket science, it really isn't.

In a pre-pandemic global supply chain normal world, yeah, I'd agree that Lucid should be able to supply pricing on options. As a Touring reservation holder, I am frustrated that this information isn't available (especially the glass canopy). But, I acknowledge there are issues outside Lucid's control - some of which Rob Stark and Dortreo have tried to point out. I've handled IT contracts for a Fortune 100 company. My daughter is a contract manager for a huge company.

When large established company X deals with large established company Y, it's pretty cut and dried. They both trust that each will fulfill the terms of the contract. But when established company X is asked to allocate part of it's monthly output capacity to new company 1 that has no track record and is producing a product it has never built before, there isn't any trust. So company X isn't willing to guarantee contractually to supply company 1's projected annual needs at $Z per unit. They may only agree to a 3 month supply at a specified price. Company 1 may not be willing to commit to a unit number demanded by the supplier. Company 1 will be forced to negotiate a price for the next 3 month period and hope that another established company hasn't stepped in and bought out the rest of the production capacity of Company X (something that's been known to happen to curtail competition from company 1).

So large established car manufacturers can enter into contracts with suppliers they have had long term relations with guaranteeing product availability and pricing. The supplying company is confident the buyer will fulfill the contract, not go out of business and can block out that production capacity. BMW might be able to use component A in the iX, i4, i5, i7 models so if they miss their estimate on 1 model, no big deal. Lucid and Rivian have both commented that suppliers doubt their viability and it's been difficult for them to find suppliers. So if they are only able to secure short term supply contracts, they have no idea what the cost will be the next go-around and whether they will have to go to an alternate supplier.

This isn't rocket science, it's economics. Suppliers only have X capacity. They enter into contracts with trusted companies. Start-ups get what is left and have to hope there is enough. Just as some car dealerships are posting incredible mark-ups, suppliers can do the same to Lucid. Supply and demand - look at what happened in the home real estate market in most of the country. Try getting your hands on a PS5 or Xbox. I don't know whether Rivian or Lucid is taking the right approach - option pricing are estimates or not disclosing pricing until it is firmed up. I think you get ticked off customers either way. But it points to the likelihood that neither know what the cost will be in 6 months.

It's not rocket science but it is hard. Just ask the 10 people who lost out on the house they wanted because they didn't guess what the highest offer would be or they just weren't willing to go that high.

Obviously if this is the case then it makes sense. However I had never heard Lucid comment on their difficulty in finding suppliers. In fact, to the contrary, I thought they said they anticipated no issues since suppliers had been lined up for some time. I certainly could be wrong but I thought I saw posts to that effect months ago on this forum.

Per Bloomberg, supply chain concerns were a driver for Lucid to delay production to the second half of 2021. In October 2021, Rawlinson said regarding suppliers who were willing to work with Lucid: “We had this problem at Tesla," said Rawlinson, who was chief engineer of the Model S before leaving Elon Musk's automaker in 2012. "A lot of the suppliers didn't think Tesla was real, and Tesla got screwed because they just didn't take Tesla seriously. I think Lucid's had the same challenge.” @SDHacker’s points are reiterated in the article: In turbulent times, suppliers are more willing to work with established OEMs rather than take a chance on start-ups.

So, yeah, it’s a complex issue. I’m hoping that Lucid really does have their suppliers in line, as I’m probably one of the last ones on the list for an AGT next year.

Interesting, thanks for that link Dortreo. I recall Rawlinson talking about quality as a major rationale for the initial delay, but I see from the article he tied that in to assessing the quality of key components they were having trouble procuring.

Unfortunately we have no idea how serious an issue this remains today and the extent to which it will hamper production next year.

Look at the bright side, as delayed as your car may be, at this rate the Pure may not arrive until 2023.

It's enough of a concern to cause Rawlinson to mention it during the quarterly earnings report: " We remain confident in our ability to achieve 20,000 units in 2022. This target is not without risk given ongoing challenges facing the automotive industry, with global disruptions to supply chains and logistics " Supply chain = is the product available for purchase with the required quality? Logistics = can the product be delivered in a timely manner?

I think it's important to Lucid that the Pure be delivered in 2022. It's just a question of how many.

When Lucid reaches 20k reservations, do they tell people it will be 2023 before their car is available? I can't see them reaching say 30k reservations and producing all reserved GTs and Ts before turning to the P trim.

When Lucid reaches 20k reservations, do they tell people it will be 2023 before their car is available? I can't see them reaching say 30k reservations and producing all reserved GTs and Ts before turning to the P trim.
If pure profit is the motive, I can. If trying not to alienate a good percentage of their customer base is their motive then I’d agree with you. We shall see, stay tuned.

Back