Air Dream Deliveries?

Jason Camissa seems to agree in his review of the Lucid.

I believe Jason said the Taycan drove slightly better, but it wasn't worth the trade-off in space, rear leg room, and range.

The Taycan is a remarkable driving experience, but it has terrible rear seats, and the range is mediocre. It does look amazing however.

I believe Jason said the Taycan drove slightly better, but it wasn't worth the trade-off in space, rear leg room, and range.

Actually, he didn't. After commenting on its lack of interior space, he ends by saying, "the Taycan redeems itself where handling is concerned" (12:50 in the video). However, he then segues over to the Air by saying, "then again . . . this thing is epic". He goes on to say that it's "one of the most well-sorted sport sedans on the planet, a perfectly-calibrated driver's car of the highest order. Its chassis balance is heroic . . . . "

In the final wrap, Jason says, "the Lucid is a Porsche Taycan in the corners" (15:29). One could interpret his commentary to mean the two cars are on a par in terms of dynamics, but he never said the Taycan handled or drove better.

So you think the Lucid drives better than the Taycan?
I used to live in CT. Had I not moved to South Florida I may have made a different decision. I think the Taycan hides its weight a bit better entering a corner but as an overall package, the Lucid wins the day. In our case, the Taycan has also had issues I would not want to have to deal with outside the warranty.

Actually, he didn't. After commenting on its lack of interior space, he ends by saying, "the Taycan redeems itself where handling is concerned" (12:50 in the video). However, he then segues over to the Air by saying, "then again . . . this thing is epic". He goes on to say that it's "one of the most well-sorted sport sedans on the planet, a perfectly-calibrated driver's car of the highest order. Its chassis balance is heroic . . . . "

In the final wrap, Jason says, "the Lucid is a Porsche Taycan in the corners" (15:29). One could interpret his commentary to mean the two cars are on a par in terms of dynamics, but he never said the Taycan handled or drove better.

You're right. I remembered it differently. Glad you pointed this out. Says a lot about the Lucid Air to compete with the Taycan in terms of handling.

I used to live in CT. Had I not moved to South Florida I may have made a different decision. I think the Taycan hides its weight a bit better entering a corner but as an overall package, the Lucid wins the day. In our case, the Taycan has also had issues I would not want to have to deal with outside the warranty.
Care to elaborate on that issue?

I will try to take some photos tomorrow while we are at the EA station.
I forgot to take the photos!! Borski and I met up and this time everything went perfect with the charging. Picked up a lot of great info from Borski while our cars were charging. We inspected each other's cars and agreed both look fantastic. He did point out something interesting to me that I wouldn't have noticed. My mirrors have a matte finish and the rails and bow have a shiny finish (Lucid made them each that way). Anyway I still have to have my mirrors treated with the PPF so will use the new Xpel Fusion Plus film with the built in coating so the mirrors will then be shiny!!

I forgot to take the photos!! Borski and I met up and this time everything went perfect with the charging. Picked up a lot of great info from Borski while our cars were charging. We inspected each other's cars and agreed both look fantastic. He did point out something interesting to me that I wouldn't have noticed. My mirrors have a matte finish and the rails and bow have a shiny finish (Lucid made them each that way). Anyway I still have to have my mirrors treated with the PPF so will use the new Xpel Fusion Plus film with the built in coating so the mirrors will then be shiny!!
Yea that was one of the exterior finish parts where they could not get a consistent quality from their supplier. Huge finishing issues with the matte finish

Damn it I even brought my mirrorless. I totally forgot also. Sounds like we’ve gotta meet up again.

As an alternative, you can wrap the cantrails in XPEL Stealth and it’ll all be matte. That’s what @Paladin732 did.

As an alternative, you can wrap the cantrails in XPEL Stealth and it’ll all be matte. That’s what @Paladin732 did.
Yeah I agree with you. I like the shiny look. Not a big deal since we still have to do the PPF on the mirrors when I go back in three weeks for the FeynLab inspection. The new Xpel Fusion Plus PPF has the built in coating so the mirrors should come out great.

The Taycan is a remarkable driving experience, but it has terrible rear seats, and the range is mediocre. It does look amazing however.

I agree with Jason on both of them. I've gotten in the 4S and Turbo at this point and they handle only moderately better than the Lucid. The chassis balance under load is virtually the same - the main difference is just how much G they can handle before breaking loose. The Air hit 0.9G on the skidpad and the Taycan managed 1.03, but in the end that won't make much difference in real world driving anyway.

I agree with Jason on both of them. I've gotten in the 4S and Turbo at this point and they handle only moderately better than the Lucid. The chassis balance under load is virtually the same - the main difference is just how much G they can handle before breaking loose. The Air hit 0.9G on the skidpad and the Taycan managed 1.03, but in the end that won't make much difference in real world driving anyway.
To what extent is maximum skidpad lateral force simply a function of the grip limits of the tires?

To what extent is maximum skidpad lateral force simply a function of the grip limits of the tires?
The tires are definitely a factor, though in the case of both cars I could not say how much because they're on different rubber. A truer test would be same conditions, same tires. A 0.13G difference between the two cars won't make much difference unless you're trying to knock a few tenths off a hot lap imho.

Where did you find the info on the skidpad testing?

Lucid Owners - what are you hearing about an upcoming recall that will require your car to be in the shop for 1-2 days?
Are you referring to the suspension recall? Or the bolt torque?

Back