Air Dream Deliveries?

If cars are being held are wrapped this means whatever part it is can be easily changed. At least I hope.

If its the glass canopy that sounds like a more complicated fix. I'm guessing they are storing all the cars out on the lot we see in the flyovers, so they must already have the "bad" canopy (if that's the problem) and thus when they get the good ones the replacement could be time consuming. Hope its the door handles!!

When you look at Bear's videos over the past month, it feels like the number of wrapped cars (assuming cars that are ready to get shipped to customers) must be north of 400. Of course, it's certainly possible that the additions were very incremental and it's closer to a 300 number.

Although Bear has been reporting significant numbers of cars seen by his drone, he has been very careful to say that, although he thinks those are different cars in each flyover as their positions on the lot change, he cannot be sure.

If its the glass canopy that sounds like a more complicated fix. I'm guessing they are storing all the cars out on the lot we see in the flyovers, so they must already have the "bad" canopy (if that's the problem) and thus when they get the good ones the replacement could be time consuming. Hope its the door handles!!

The information about the glass canopy came from Doreen Allen, the Senior Director of Sales.

Those who watched the "Transport Evolved" test drive at the factory commissioning event several months ago might remember that the main complaint was that the car seemed to have a distortion in the canopy just at the top of the driver's line of sight.

When I bought a new-generation Honda Odyssey in 2011, Honda shipped cars for several months with a windshield that had significant distortion along the passenger-side A pillar. (I had one of those cars, and Honda never volunteered to replace the windshield after they got the problem resolved. As it was out of normal line of sight, I just never bothered to make an issue of it.) But a piece of glass as large and complex as Lucid's glass canopy is going to be damnably difficult to manufacture to perfection. With compound curves, twin panes with a laminated membrane, and metallic coating, there are a lot of ways and places things can go wrong.

Although Bear has been reporting significant numbers of cars seen by his drone, he has been very careful to say that, although he thinks those are different cars in each flyover as their positions on the lot change, he cannot be sure.
Definitely agree that some of the cars that may have seemed new, were not. However, I heard him guesstimate (with some backup from a supposed insider) that they were producing 13 a day. If they ramped from say 5 to 13 over the past 60 days, we'll say they averaged 9. I don't know if they work 7 days a week, but even if you take 15 days off to assume holidays and one weekend day over the Nov-Dec period, you still have 45 days. Multiply that by 9 and you'd get a little over 400. Now even if you need to tack on additional days for production line stoppage, I'd still think that they have at least 300 cars produced. I think as @hydbob conjectured, you could have a situation where this is a repair that most/all of them need, but the complexities around the repair might be more difficult in the field than at the plant. As a result, they decided late in the game to pause deliveries.

I'm sure I'm way off, but I just can't understand why they didn't start letting customers know until 1 or 2 days ago that they wouldn't get the car until after the new year. And even then could not tell them when they would get them. That's why I'm thinking this may be an issue with the ones that have shipped as well. Total theory though and likely something completely different I'm sure.

Sounds like the supply chain issues are hitting Lucid. Now I know why my DA told me that it might be early Q2 now for my GT, or an extension to 3-5 months from 2-4

Just spoke with my DA for the first time. He's saying March to May for an order confirmed in mid-December. So, that's 2 to 4 months from January...

These "registration" fees have different meanings in different states. Massachusetts has a modest registration (plate) fee but they also charge an "excise tax" each year based on the original sticker price. The first year on the DE is $4,027. It goes down each year until it levels off after 5 years at about $400.

The MA excise tax is frickin' egregious. My wife will flip out when she sees the bill for the Lucid next year.

@RichMallon : Are you a MA-based DE owner?

Just spoke with my DA for the first time. He's saying March to May for an order confirmed in mid-December. So, that's 2 to 4 months from January...

Now they're cutting it close for the June 24th delivery date.

That's why I'm curious to what it is, because none of the issues I had were serious.

@RichMallon : Are you a MA-based DE owner?

No, I have an AGT on order but did the calculations for DE since that was what everyone was talking about. The first year Massachusetts excise on an AGT will be about $3,127.50 but will be prorated for the number of months owned.

No, I have an AGT on order but did the calculations for DE since that was what everyone was talking about. The first year Massachusetts excise on an AGT will be about $3,127.50 but will be prorated for the number of months owned.

That's why the state is called "Taxachusetts" and why people are leaving these high tax states and relocating to lower tax states.

Definitely agree that some of the cars that may have seemed new, were not. However, I heard him guesstimate (with some backup from a supposed insider) that they were producing 13 a day. If they ramped from say 5 to 13 over the past 60 days, we'll say they averaged 9. I don't know if they work 7 days a week, but even if you take 15 days off to assume holidays and one weekend day over the Nov-Dec period, you still have 45 days. Multiply that by 9 and you'd get a little over 400. Now even if you need to tack on additional days for production line stoppage, I'd still think that they have at least 300 cars produced. I think as @hydbob conjectured, you could have a situation where this is a repair that most/all of them need, but the complexities around the repair might be more difficult in the field than at the plant. As a result, they decided late in the game to pause deliveries.

I'm sure I'm way off, but I just can't understand why they didn't start letting customers know until 1 or 2 days ago that they wouldn't get the car until after the new year. And even then could not tell them when they would get them. That's why I'm thinking this may be an issue with the ones that have shipped as well. Total theory though and likely something completely different I'm sure.

Honestly? They were probably hoping they could get it done, coupled with not wanting to disclose material information before the end of the quarter / end of the year, as a public company. They don’t exactly tweet like Elon does haha, but I am just guessing of course.

(I agree it’s extremely annoying, fwiw)

Did Alex get his car someone tweeted the haulers moving today upclose!

Did Alex get his car someone tweeted the haulers moving today upclose!
This one? It's from James via Kilowatts follower
1640917762794.png

Yes. I've been speaking to a member of senior leadership there, so mine came from her vs the DA.

My guess is some provider shit the bed on the quality of a part and there are a bunch of vehicles waiting for the exact same part.
I got the same call from my DA at around noon today. (Actually, I was skiing and checked my VM tonight and my DA answered his personal cell phone at 7:30 pm…these guys are great!). Same report from him: Lucid had discovered that a “fit and finish part” did not meet quality standards and is being re-ordered. When pushed on whether it is an interior or exterior part, he said he hasn’t been told (?) but assumes it is exterior.
My attitude is I’m not in a huge hurry, I’d rather get a perfect car in a few weeks than a flawed car by tomorrow. As Elon said, it’s hard to build a car. I’m proud of Lucid’s efforts and glad to be an early adopter again, even knowing what that entails.

Yes. that is the same overall time my DA gave earlier this week - 3-5 months now from order confirmation.

I got the same call from my DA at around noon today. (Actually, I was skiing and checked my VM tonight and my DA answered his personal cell phone at 7:30 pm…these guys are great!). Same report from him: Lucid had discovered that a “fit and finish part” did not meet quality standards and is being re-ordered. When pushed on whether it is an interior or exterior part, he said he hasn’t been told (?) but assumes it is exterior.
My attitude is I’m not in a huge hurry, I’d rather get a perfect car in a few weeks than a flawed car by tomorrow. As Elon said, it’s hard to build a car. I’m proud of Lucid’s efforts and glad to be an early adopter again, even knowing what that entails.
So what I can share is that it is absolutely a fit and finish item.

I was told the cars are all “drivable “ however, they are refusing to release any that have so much as a scratch on the metal and are repairing/replacing any of those fit and finish items.

reading between the lines some suppliers dropped the ball and they are holding vehicles for those various items.

The way I understand it is they have been desperately hoping to get these parts and were hoping until the last minute they could. She mentioned they had been flying people to the suppliers to try to even load parts on planes where possible.

I don’t think the intention here was to mislead, I think they want to get a perfect product out the door, won’t release till it is that state, and miscalculated what they could get from certain vendors.

Talking with her, while I am annoyed at the way communication has been done, I understand it. I also have very high confidence that they are working hard to get us near perfect vehicles from a mechanical pov (software is a work in progress I’m thinking).

Same here. AGT on order for delivery hopefully in the first half of the year. I'm hoping to see and perhaps drive one in real life before I take delivery. Seaport is supposed to have a studio in Q1 2022, but it appears they are still hiring for the studio manager. We were supposed to head down to NYC this week to visit the studio there, but Omicron threw a wrench into those plans.

Back