3B Raise/Offering

Are you saying you wouldn't refer the car to a friend unless you got something out of it yourself?
Not everyone is the same.

Some are self-motivated. Some need motivations.

My single-self example is meaningless among the statistics of the human race.

That's why we need science with objective data.

That is why we need an MBA rather than someone just making a business decision based on one single person myself.

The number doesn't lie:

"According to Nielsen research, 92% of consumers trust referrals from people they know. They are four times more likely to buy when referred by a friend. According to the New York Times, 65% of all new business comes from referrals. It is a type of marketing that you shouldn't overlook."

Do you trust referrals from friends as much if you know they are being compensated? To me an uncompensated referral is better.

Do you trust referrals from friends as much if you know they are being compensated? To me an uncompensated referral is better.
Exactly. Very true. No argument. I agree with you 100%.

It would be nice if the world only has you and me with a statistics of 100%.

However, we are talking about the market that has more than 2 people.

We need help from the science of crowd behavior in marketing.

Buy hold 5 years at least, preferably a decade! You won’t regret. You would be kicking yourself for not buying more.
Not buying more? At one point, I think my brokerage account was holding a Sapphire! 🤬

I agree though, this is a long term play but hate seeing them miss their quarterly projections and watching the price drop each time, so I would have loved to entered here versus dollar averaging every quarter.

Let's all wish for good news ahead but they sure have a lot of headwinds which will keep it sideways for a long time which equals dead money. The car and tech deserve better and the owners and investors (gamblers?) need to be rewarded 😜

Not everyone is the same.

Some are self-motivated. Some need motivations.

My single-self example is meaningless among the statistics of the human race.

That's why we need science with objective data.

That is why we need an MBA rather than someone just making a business decision based on one single person myself.

The number doesn't lie:

"According to Nielsen research, 92% of consumers trust referrals from people they know. They are four times more likely to buy when referred by a friend. According to the New York Times, 65% of all new business comes from referrals. It is a type of marketing that you shouldn't overlook."

Lol MBAs don’t often know science.

Also, the quote you quoted has nothing at all do with referral bonuses being an incentive. It’s human nature to recommend a car to friends if you love the car. The referral bonuses are secondary.

Lol MBAs don’t often know science.

Also, the quote you quoted has nothing at all do with referral bonuses being an incentive. It’s human nature to recommend a car to friends if you love the car. The referral bonuses are secondary.

It is not human nature to refer cars to acquaintances. Tesla has had many variations of the referral program and no program. Obviously they see a bump in demand when they have it. If not they would not bring it back.

I think the OP meant some MBA know the inexact science of Marketing. Not physics or chemistry.

It is not human nature to refer cars to acquaintances. Tesla has had many variations of the referral program and no program. Obviously they see a bump in demand when they have it. If not they would not bring it back.

I think the OP meant some MBA know the inexact science of Marketing. Not physics or chemistry.
I knew what OP meant. MBAs are not a particularly useful designation for “someone who understands marketing.” The best marketers I know do not have MBAs, and plenty that do are entirely useless.

I have no problem with a referral program. But it does not generally have significant effects on the number of referrals unless the rewards are exceptional, such as Tesla’s free charging for life, which is unsustainable.

I knew what OP meant. MBAs are not a particularly useful designation for “someone who understands marketing.” The best marketers I know do not have MBAs, and plenty that do are entirely useless.

I have no problem with a referral program. But it does not generally have significant effects on the number of referrals unless the rewards are exceptional, such as Tesla’s free charging for life, which is unsustainable.
I always get worried when people suggest “just do what X did.” That almost never works out. You have to find your own path.

Different time. Different personalities. Lucid will never command the blind loyalty early Tesla adopters gave. Mostly because the world now sees all the promises were, as you put it, “unsustainable.” By the time I got my Tesla, the referral had been reduced to a couple of thousand free miles, which expired before I had a chance to use them. Several YouTubers are still owed new Roadsters.

“Promise the world and hope for forgiveness when you drop the ball” is a strategy that worked for exactly one person.

I definitely don’t think Lucid as yet is doing all it can to get the word out. But I’m fairly certain referral program is not the answer.

I always get worried when people suggest “just do what X did.” That almost never works out. You have to find your own path.

Different time. Different personalities. Lucid will never command the blind loyalty early Tesla adopters gave. Mostly because the world now sees all the promises were, as you put it, “unsustainable.” By the time I got my Tesla, the referral had been reduced to a couple of thousand free miles, which expired before I had a chance to use them. Several YouTubers are still owed new Roadsters.

“Promise the world and hope for forgiveness when you drop the ball” is a strategy that worked for exactly one person.

I definitely don’t think Lucid as yet is doing all it can to get the word out. But I’m fairly certain referral program is not the answer.
I agree that referral alone is not the answer. There is no argument about that.

It's like the car can't roll because it is missing four tires. Installing one tire still won't get it moving, but it's a start now, find the other three.

Just because referral works in others does not mean it does not work in Lucid.

Drop Box said:

“The program permanently increased signups by a whopping 60 percent, with more than 2.8 million direct referral invites taking place in the first 18 months. In fact, 35 percent of all signups now come from the referral program.”

Uber was an unknown, but its growth was rapid partially due to its referral program "Share Uber":

uber-inapp-referral-program1.jpg

I started buying in the 20s when I first ordered the car. I've been dollar averaging down on every major dip to get it to $7.50/share and own more shares than I would like to hold. Then the $3B raise dilution got me major underwater again...sigh. Love the car but hate the stock so just holding for some major future catalysts to reduce the position. Go Lucid 🙏
Catching a falling knife is tough and risky. You can decide whether you want to hold or not but there are many opportunities available to gain in this market. The company shall survive and do well anyways as the product is good.

1) That is the snarky remark common today. Particularly of people who don't have an MBA. But that is not objectively true based on any scientific analysis. It is part of America's disdain for formal education in large parts of the country.

2) No one knows the particulars of how effective the Tesla referral program has been outside of Tesla executives. We can only guess. But we do know it is effective enough to bring back without exceptional rewards.

1) That is the snarky remark common today. Particularly of people who don't have an MBA. But that is not objectively true based on any scientific analysis. It is part of America's disdain for formal education in large parts of the country.
I have zero disdain for formal education. My wife is about to start a masters and I got my bachelors at MIT, and my niece is on her way to her doctorate. Most MBAs are not worth the paper they are written on, and most of the people who have gotten MBAs will tell you that themselves. An MBA degree is fantastic for spending a few years networking, but otherwise not immensely useful by almost any metric in terms of attained knowledge.

Guess we’ll agree to disagree on this.

Give or take. Not sure how Gravity production will affect burn rate, and whether or not that was taken into consideration when providing the end of Q1 2024 ex date prior to this raise.

I personally thought they'd at least try to raise around some hype; IE Gravity announcement/blow our quarter, vs a lull but what do I know.
I doubt there is a blowout quarter coming any time soon.
If you recall they refuse to provide booking numbers on the last EC.

They have been unable to ramp up production and looks like they are hoping a move into China is needed but that requires more Billions to Build a Plant there.

They are definitely in trouble and perhaps us current owners from a warranty and service perspective.

The Saudis practically own the Company so it is just a matter of time before they take them Private and mind you, not at any premium or maybe they will buy it in Bankruptcy in 2025.

The Gravity better be a success and not have any of the minor hiccups that the AIR rollout has had and continues to have.

The would also need to produce enough to have some Rivian owners switch due to their delivery delays. I saw a R1S and it appears too small to me but then I am used to a Suburban 🤪

I doubt there is a blowout quarter coming any time soon.
If you recall they refuse to provide booking numbers on the last EC.

They have been unable to ramp up production and looks like they are hoping a move into China is needed but that requires more Billions to Build a Plant there.

They are definitely in trouble and perhaps us current owners from a warranty and service perspective.

The Saudis practically own the Company so it is just a matter of time before they take them Private and mind you, not at any premium or maybe they will buy it in Bankruptcy in 2025.

The Gravity better be a success and not have any of the minor hiccups that the AIR rollout has had and continues to have.

The would also need to produce enough to have some Rivian owners switch due to their delivery delays. I saw a R1S and it appears too small to me but then I am used to a Suburban 🤪
Yep, Gravity has to be a success! Hope they don’t delay base Gravity 3 years while trying to look for buyers for the top end models! They concentrated too much on the GT. Who wants to spend 140k plus taxes on a car? Not many. They should have pushed the Pure from the get go!

I have zero disdain for formal education. My wife is about to start a masters and I got my bachelors at MIT, and my niece is on her way to her doctorate. Most MBAs are not worth the paper they are written on, and most of the people who have gotten MBAs will tell you that themselves. An MBA degree is fantastic for spending a few years networking, but otherwise not immensely useful by almost any metric in terms of attained knowledge.

Guess we’ll agree to disagree on this.
My brother and his wife who both have Harvard MBA's appear to be the exception to the rule. They both have attained a vast storehouse of knowledge and have been highly successful in their fields. I don't stand a chance against them in answering Jeopardy questions

My brother and his wife who both have Harvard MBA's appear to be the exception to the rule. They both have attained a vast storehouse of knowledge and have been highly successful in their fields. I don't stand a chance against them in answering Jeopardy questions
That’s fantastic :)

Good news for Lucid, bad news for investors as evidenced by the dilution and large drop in the stock price. Likely going down to the $3 range from the dilution and lower production guidance.

I really don’t care about the dilution. Yes we all know it will happen. Nonetheless, More shares will raise the market cap if the price doesn’t adjust down. Plus, investors At the original IPO were expecting 20k cars last year. Productions numbers and projected income have dropped significantly. A $3 per share is pricing all of that into the mix. If they were really producing 20k cars then…….

My posts about the stock going to $3 is aging well, despite the comments to the contrary Not happy about it since I am a shareholder, but I was being honest with myself as an investor.

My posts about the stock going to $3 is aging well, despite the comments to the contrary Not happy about it since I am a shareholder, but I was being honest with myself as an investor.
You lucked out! Who new EV demand will slow. But I’m happy that at least you feel vindicated.

The Sapphire and the Lucid team give me a lot of confidence. I don’t typically invest in the automotive segment, but perhaps we are close to a good entry point. Something I will be thinking about.

Back