23 touring vs 22 gt

coma24

Cars
Honda S2K, Subaru Outbk
I have heard in many videos that build quality has improved over time. Given the plethora of available 22 GTs, should I be concerned about build quality compared to a 23 touring? Weighing them up and wanted to see what ppl thought.

Any build date windows to avoid for example?

I am not sure anyone can help you with that. I have a 23 touring and have had no issues with the car (except with flat spots in tires at delivery which they replaced quickly).

But I think your decision should be which car you prefer. Do you want the extra range of the GT? My touring gets real range on trips of about 300-340 miles. A GT would get 400 miles.

Daily driving range isn't an issue, but the very first trip I planned ran into considerations due to lack of DCFC in the area (Hershey, PA), requiring a planned stop on the way out that a GT wouldn't have needed. Not the end of the world, but I started seeing the value of the GT's extra battery capacity (understanding the slight elevation of the floor in the rear cabin), especially since it will invite lower starting SOC requirements during return trips where it might be ok to top up to 60-80% SOC at a DCFC for the leg home, whereas a Touring might have needed, say, 90-100% to get it done, requiring an significantly longer charging session due to the charging curves. It started dawning on me just how helpful extra kwh can be.

Between that and the massaging seats which have garnered decent reviews (I wouldn't say no on long trips), I'm leaning towards the GT now - all because the 2nd hand market doesn't reflect the significant purchase price difference between GT and Touring. The nuances appear to be lost on the market (great for buyers).

It wouldn't be a challenging decision if the used GT pricing was significantly higher...I would simply stick with the Touring. However, with '22 GT's at $70-75k all day long at this point, it's challenging to justify a $73k 23 Touring, ASSUMING there is no significant build quality differences between '22 and '23. That's what I'm trying to research to make the most well-informed decision.

I have a 2022 GT and am one of those who had the battery replaced at 24K miles and bought the car with the gawdawful UX1.0. I've only had minimal issues and am about 2.5 hours from a Service Center (Natick), and if/when service is required, one of the techs conveniently drives up with a loaner and meets me @30 miles from my house. I would assume that if you are buying a used 2022, any delivery issues would have already been addressed. No matter, I bought a first year car, and the Service personnel go over and above to make sure everything is fine. All has been under warranty. Since NH has terrible access to charging (especially north of Manchester) I opted for the GT and have no regrets - even having paid the early-adopter premium price. I drove up and back from the Eclipse, and the 7.5 hours' drive home with the massaging seats and NO range anxiety was awesome. My longest stretch so far was 387 miles with 16% still left on the battery when I charged on the way home. For me, it's the driving experience, range, and comfort, in that order, but everyone's priorities are different.

I have a 2022 GT and have zero complaints. Oct/Nov 2022 build, so I was literally a week or so after UX2.0 was released. Have had no issues with any QC type items. Honestly, have had less issues with this car than any of my previous vehicles.

Ultimately it's personal preference to you and your own financial situation. If prices are comparable, I'd never regret having more range. Just my opinion. Either way, welcome and congrats on your new ride!

I have a February 2023 Touring and went in knowing that when 2024/2025 rolls around used GT's would be comparable $s...and I'd do a GT in 2024 if in 2023 I had the patience to wait....I didn't and though I'm very happy with my Touring (Issues n all included as I went in with an early adopter mindset)....I'd 100% take advantage of depreciation and get a gently used GT if we I were doing this today...

There shouldn't be much difference in quality in such a short period of time.

I took delivery of my 22 GT-P in December last year … no issues with build quality. I originally went in to look at the Touring but rationalized that I'm buying the car for me and for not my occasional back seat passengers so I was OK with the extra battery modules in the rear footwells. ;)

Also when considering range, remember that optimum SOC for best battery life is between 20% and 80% so doing that alone will shave off 40% from the max range after charging session on any current BEV.

Also when considering range, remember that optimum SOC for best battery life is between 20% and 80% so doing that alone will shave off 40% from the max range after charging session on any current BEV.
Absolutely. On the daily, I'll be charging to < 80%, then higher when needed. I don't plan to let it run low unless absolutely needed on a given trip (doing it every now and then won't kill the car...I don't need the battery to last until the end of time after all). Having the extra KWh in the bank allows you to work with lower SOC as a starting point for daily use, which also permits shorter charging sessions....all the good stuff. That's what has really dawned on me in the past few weeks. Between the massage seats and ALL those charging nuances, the fact that GT's can be had for $70-$75k all day long at this point (and still dropping every 1-2 weeks), I'm struggling to pick the Touring as the best choice for that price point. Thx for the feedback, this is ALL helpful.

Absolutely. On the daily, I'll be charging to < 80%, then higher when needed. I don't plan to let it run low unless absolutely needed on a given trip (doing it every now and then won't kill the car...I don't need the battery to last until the end of time after all). Having the extra KWh in the bank allows you to work with lower SOC as a starting point for daily use, which also permits shorter charging sessions....all the good stuff. That's what has really dawned on me in the past few weeks. Between the massage seats and ALL those charging nuances, the fact that GT's can be had for $70-$75k all day long at this point (and still dropping every 1-2 weeks), I'm struggling to pick the Touring as the best choice for that price point. Thx for the feedback, this is ALL helpful.
If you aren't planning to keep it untilt he end of time, Eric Bach said charge to 100 everyday if you want. Warranty provided by Lucid will most likely never be reached even stressing your battery that way.

If you aren't planning to keep it untilt he end of time, Eric Bach said charge to 100 everyday if you want. Warranty provided by Lucid will most likely never be reached even stressing your battery that way.
Point taken. I do feel some level of responsibility to the environment and future owners, I but I see where you're coming from. The compromise, somewhere in the middle, might be that I won't agonize over choosing between, say, 60% or 80% at the target SOC at home with my 80A level 2 charger.

Point taken. I do feel some level of responsibility to the environment and future owners, I but I see where you're coming from. The compromise, somewhere in the middle, might be that I won't agonize over choosing between, say, 60% or 80% at the target SOC at home with my 80A level 2 charger.
For what it's worth, the 'Daily' setting default is 80%...

IMHO Touring is a much better handling car because it weighs significantly less. If you don't need the range, get the touring.

If you need the range the GT is a good option, just feels heavier than the Touring all around. Not saying the GT is a slouch but you'll notice it.

22 models have some teething pains that the first owner should have worked through completely by now. The extra range is something I don't think anyone regrets getting after the first road trip plus faster charging rates.

As for handling, the GT is a heavier car. However, after recently experimenting with partial traction control vs full traction control, the car feels shockingly sprightly by comparison. I would almost say like driving a completely new car in handling and response.

In a year or after a track day, I may personally feel confident enough to even experiment with no traction control. That may not feel like a completely different car in comparison, but I would think it would have to get close given the differences in partial vs full.

22 models have some teething pains that the first owner should have worked through completely by now. The extra range is something I don't think anyone regrets getting after the first road trip plus faster charging rates.

As for handling, the GT is a heavier car. However, after recently experimenting with partial traction control vs full traction control, the car feels shockingly sprightly by comparison. I would almost say like driving a completely new car in handling and response.

In a year or after a track day, I may personally feel confident enough to even experiment with no traction control. That may not feel like a completely different car in comparison, but I would think it would have to get close given the differences in partial vs full.
I have found the DE handles better than a a GT or Touring, despite the weight. With the GT, it can feel a little sluggish compared to the DE; I didn’t think I’d notice the lost horsepower but you do when you have a relative comparison.

The Touring on its own is a great car but can’t hold a candle to the DE in power and handling. Against the GT I’m not sure as the power delta is smaller.

I can’t wait to drive a Sapphire and an RWD Pure.

I have found the DE handles better than a a GT or Touring, despite the weight. With the GT, it can feel a little sluggish compared to the DE; I didn’t think I’d notice the lost horsepower but you do when you have a relative comparison.

The Touring on its own is a great car but can’t hold a candle to the DE in power and handling. Against the GT I’m not sure as the power delta is smaller.

I can’t wait to drive a Sapphire and an RWD Pure.
I love how we're now at the point where an 819 HP car is considered "sluggish" 🤣

I love how we're now at the point where an 819 HP car is considered "sluggish" 🤣
It wouldn’t be, if it weren’t 5.5k lbs.

And to be clear: it’s definitely not sluggish. It’s just noticeably more so than the DE-P.

IMHO Touring is a much better handling car because it weighs significantly less. If you don't need the range, get the touring.

If you need the range the GT is a good option, just feels heavier than the Touring all around. Not saying the GT is a slouch but you'll notice it.
…. but the GT is also noticeably quicker. I was unimpressed overall with touring test drive compared with GT. Different strokes / different folks

It wouldn’t be, if it weren’t 5.5k lbs.

And to be clear: it’s definitely not sluggish. It’s just noticeably more so than the DE-P.
Is your car only 5.5K pounds? Mine appears to be tipping the scale big time ...

IMG_5035.jpg

Back