1st car wash.

The first, and only time, I brought my Air to a touchless wash, the dryers blew off the pair of trim from the roof and I was unable to find them. These are the trim pieces that you remove when you want to mount a roof rail. Fortunately, Lucid sent me replacements. Thank you Lucid! Now I wash the car by hand.

That's interesting. I just had my roof wrapped last week and the installer broke one of those pieces because it had been glued on in several spots. They'd even put primer on the back of it to hold the glue better. The car is new and I'm the original owner, so it had to have been done by Lucid.

There's no way I'd take mine through a car wash! I do have a full hand wash place near my home, or I wash it myself. Depends on how dirty it is. There's a few threads on the forum about car washing with a lot of recommendations.
What about a touchless one?

That's interesting. I just had my roof wrapped last week and the installer broke one of those pieces because it had been glued on in several spots. They'd even put primer on the back of it to hold the glue better. The car is new and I'm the original owner, so it had to have been done by Lucid.
Uhhhhh who else has worked on the car? Those aren’t supposed to be glued down to my knowledge lol

(I believe you, I’m just confused)

Uhhhhh who else has worked on the car? Those aren’t supposed to be glued down to my knowledge lol

(I believe you, I’m just confused)

I took delivery in Oak Brook a little over three months ago. Only work that's been done on the car was at the Coldwater, Michigan service center about a month ago for the frunk alignment.

The wrap guy got a replacement piece from Lucid and I went by there this afternoon to have him put it on. He showed me on the old piece where it had been glued and the primer to hold the glue. Could maybe get a picture if he hasn't thrown the old one away already. Some of the glue is still attached to the car, too.

I was never going to put a luggage rack on anyway, so doesn't matter for me.

I took delivery in Oak Brook a little over three months ago. Only work that's been done on the car was at the Coldwater, Michigan service center about a month ago for the frunk alignment.

The wrap guy got a replacement piece from Lucid and I went by there this afternoon to have him put it on. He showed me on the old piece where it had been glued and the primer to hold the glue. Could maybe get a picture if he hasn't thrown the old one away already. Some of the glue is still attached to the car, too.

I was never going to put a luggage rack on anyway, so doesn't matter for me.
Fascinating. Did the replacement piece come with glue?!

Maybe this is a new thing?

Fascinating. Did the replacement piece come with glue?!

Maybe this is a new thing?

No and no primer on it either. It just has clips. The guy that did the wrap said it looks like the original was just glued on as an afterthought. When he was wrapping the roof last week he went to pop it off with his trim tool and thought it was just being difficult until it damaged it. Then saw the glue when he got it off. It has a few spots along the length of the trim where they put the glue or epoxy or whatever it is.

He said when he called Lucid they knew exactly what he was talking about and they asked if he needed the whole trim piece or just the part with the clips that attaches the trim to the car. They shipped it Monday and he got it today.

When I saw that post about the dryer blowing them off I wondered if it was something they started doing to prevent that. My car is a 2024.

The cover could have been damaged in transit or during service center work before the car was delivered.

Was so apprehensive to take it to a car wash. Took a bit to get into neutral, but once we did it was smooth sailing from there. The car made it and so did I. No problems at all.
In my area in Arizona there is a car wash franchise called 'Mister'. I know it's in Orlando, Florida as well. For whatever it is worth, I run my car thru it excusively and have never had a problem with either the result or getting it into the track. I think they has a moving plate at the beginning of the track which centers the tire. I have had the same axious moment getting the vehicle into neutral but have learn to move the stalk up slowly. The change from D to N seems to lag a bit.

When I took delivery, I was concerned about washing. The delivery person addressed my concern by pointing to the car wash two doors down from the Scottsdale center and informed me they take vehicles there frequently.

In my area in Arizona there is a car wash franchise called 'Mister'. I know it's in Orlando, Florida as well. For whatever it is worth, I run my car thru it excusively and have never had a problem with either the result or getting it into the track. I think they has a moving plate at the beginning of the track which centers the tire. I have had the same axious moment getting the vehicle into neutral but have learn to move the stalk up slowly. The change from D to N seems to lag a bit.

When I took delivery, I was concerned about washing. The delivery person addressed my concern by pointing to the car wash two doors down from the Scottsdale center and informed me they take vehicles there frequently.
This is the company. It actually is mostly in other states although headquartered outside Tucson:

For what it's worth, I put Xpel PPF on my Air and have been taking it to an automated carwash regularly for over a year. The finish still looks brand new, and every part on the car has stayed in place. I even quit retracting the rearview mirrors because that area gets cleaned more effectively with them extended.

The first, and only time, I brought my Air to a touchless wash, the dryers blew off the pair of trim from the roof and I was unable to find them. These are the trim pieces that you remove when you want to mount a roof rail. Fortunately, Lucid sent me replacements. Thank you Lucid! Now I wash the car by hand.
thank you so much for your suggestion

For what it's worth, I put Xpel PPF on my Air and have been taking it to an automated carwash regularly for over a year. The finish still looks brand new, and every part on the car has stayed in place. I even quit retracting the rearview mirrors because that area gets cleaned more effectively with them extended.
Yeah, I’ve tried several touchless washes in my area after I got full XPEL PPF and OptiCoat ceramic and the they all suck except for this one Mobil gas station one near me, which is usually great. You just need a lot of drying towels afterwards given how the car hides water. But if I want a better clean then it’s still ONR or foam cannon with chemical guys black light + snow foam. If I do it that way the car looks like an obsidian mirror. But otherwise even with the touchless wash near me it still looks really good thanks to the ceramic/PPF.

Yeah, I’ve tried several touchless washes in my area after I got full XPEL PPF and OptiCoat ceramic . . . .

I got the Xpel Ultimate Fusion which has ceramic integrated into the film. I don't know how much of that is real protection or just marketing puffery, but the self-healing certainly seems to work. If the carwash is putting any swirls on the car (and newer carwashes usually don't), they are gone by the time I finish drying the car off in the hot sun. And you're right; the car takes a lot of drying, whether with a hand wash or automated wash.

If I do wash the car at the house these days, I use the no-water Optimum OptiClean. It leaves the same deep, mirror-like finish on the car you are getting. The car's over two years old, and after an OptiClean I still occasionally have people approach me to ask if it's a custom paint job.

There's a lot of road and building construction going on in southwest Florida, and the roads are crawling with dump trucks. I know the car is getting hit by sand or tiny rocks that I don't detect because the windshield is accumulating very tiny chips, and something hit one of the front aftermarket laser detector/jammers enough to chip it and knock it loose. But the only thing the film is showing is one very faint 3"-long scratch on the hood that is too deep for the self-healing to handle. It's only noticeable when I'm drying the car, and even then I have to look for it.

A couple of months ago, someone swiped the top of the driver-side rear wheel well as they were pulling out of a parking space next to me. It left a couple of dents in the fender and scuffed and partially peeled away the film. A "dent doctor" was able to repair the dents, but the film protected the car's paint. With a new piece of film, there is no sign the car was ever damaged there. With the Zenith Red, this is very important, as red can be a tricky color to match as time passes, and the tinted clear coat Lucid uses with that color adds to the trickiness. (This incident increased my confidence not only in the Xpel film, but also in the robustness of the Lucid paint job.)

I have had prior cars ceramic coated with OptiCoat. The longest I ever owned one with the ceramic coating was six years, and the finish still looked like new. However, Optimum says not to put OptiCoat through an automated carwash. This is the first car on which I'm ever used PPF, and Xpel says automated carwashes are fine. I will never own another car without it.

There's no way I'd take mine through a car wash! I do have a full hand wash place near my home, or I wash it myself. Depends on how dirty it is. There's a few threads on the forum about car washing with a lot of recommendations.
Foam Cannon all the way, rinse, foam, wipe in 20 mins with some shade.

Dragging up this thread again, sorry;

I have a really good touches carwash nearby that I've used for many years on my previous Audi. I was hoping to use it with my Air, but concerned about the reports that the roof rail can lose parts, when using a carwash. How many of you use a touchless carwash and have NOT had this problem? Am I worrying about an edge case or is this a real issue?

Dragging up this thread again, sorry;

I have a really good touches carwash nearby that I've used for many years on my previous Audi. I was hoping to use it with my Air, but concerned about the reports that the roof rail can lose parts, when using a carwash. How many of you use a touchless carwash and have NOT had this problem? Am I worrying about an edge case or is this a real issue?
I got my AGT mid-winter 1/24/24 and used a touchless car wash. It was fine, and I plan to use next winter. I hand wash in the summer. No plans to use a standard car wash for fear of losing parts!

Back