1000 mile update

Really @$$@ing good. I mean, I'm not an audiophile but it is easily the best sounding car stereo system I've heard.

Ok that jives with my experience. You were listening using Tidal? Have you tried using Apple Music via Blluetooth? If you have access to Apple Music, make sure the album you choose indicated it has Dolby Atmos please.

I have been putting my iPhone 13 pro without a case in and out. No problem with charging. Starting to show some wear already. I am also disappointed that the passenger side does not have inductive charging. Not really a problem for passenger to plug in, but treating the passenger as second class is not great. Lots of cars only have only one inductive charging spot, but this design is so symmetrical, it’s a lost opportunity.

Attachments

• 2D1D43CB-50D1-4540-9183-D81E197702DD.jpeg
    2D1D43CB-50D1-4540-9183-D81E197702DD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 248
I have been putting my iPhone 13 pro without a case in and out. No problem with charging. Starting to show some wear already. I am also disappointed that the passenger side does not have inductive charging. Not really a problem for passenger to plug in, but treating the passenger as second class is not great. Lots of cars only have only one inductive charging spot, but this design is so symmetrical, it’s a lost opportunity.
oh the wear and tear is shocking. have you reached out to Lucid yet? i'm curious to see if they will swap it out for a new one.

I have not sent this one in yet. I’ll post when I do.

oh the wear and tear is shocking. have you reached out to Lucid yet? i'm curious to see if they will swap it out for a new one.
When my car was delivered they told me they found a faint footprint on the passenger floor mat. They pointed it out and said they could not remove the print – so they decided that they will send my new floor mats!

Yes, the iPhone 13 Pro (not Max) fits OK - even with an Apple leather case. For the passenger side I decided to just stick an Apple MagSafe puck. It's not pretty, but it gets the job done.
tempImageoQwGlW.png

I think its the camera bump catching on the rubber. I checked mine this morning and I have a Galaxy A42 that doesn't have a bump on it.

20220102_082241.jpg

My iPhone with its rubber protective case will not fit in the Lucid wireless charger. It recharges in the case with no problem in the Model S Plaid, as does a second phone. Only providing wireless charging for one phone (and only with its case removed) is a minor point for us but nevertheless a real miss for Lucid on something that should have been easily handled.

I’m actually not quite at 1000, but working from home and have time so here is my 1000 mile summary.

Once I am in the car, out of the garage or parking space and driving with my music set, this car is awesome. Fast, quiet, smooth, comfortable, predictable in how it responds. I find the main dash to be clear and easy on the eyes. The mirrors are good, the blind spot detection is good. (I turned off the camera view when you signal) This is my first EV and I was comfortable with one pedal driving almost immediately on standard regen. The seats are very good. Some adjustments are only available through the touch screen. I have not found this to be an issue. Perhaps I slightly favor the seats in the Alpina B7, but no complaints with the Air. Longer drives I find the door arm rest too low and the center console to far back to comfortably rest my elbow with my hand on the wheel. The touch controls on the upper right hand screen are just a little bit of a stretch. I’m 6’2” and have the seat pretty far back. Not all the way back so taller drivers there is still adjustment left.

Here are the things I use every time in the car that are detracting from making the Air an absolute pleasure.
  1. Locking and unlocking. I’m using the key fob passively. Unlocking can be 6’ away or I can stand next to the car and wait. When your car doesn’t unlock when you want, it’s really annoying.

Proximity unlock should be on/off preference.

Unlock should be able to be set to driver only or all doors

When a locked driver door handle is pressed with a fob detected, unlock. This must work always and immediately. Always immediately. No excuses. No having to get fob out of a purse or a pocket. If I press any handle other than driver all doors should unlock, always and immediately.

Lock. If I press an unlocked handle, lock all doors immediately. Always and immediately. No excuses.

I’m fine with always locking when leaving, providing I can lock immediately as above. Perhaps that should be an on/off feature also.

2. Homelink. Exit garage, park assist activates, press home link (cameras go away), press garage door, press to reactivate park assist. (Park assist = cameras and distance). In every other car I can use homelink physical button without looking to close door. I push one physical button, not 3 touch screen buttons to get to same status.

3. Park distance / cameras. This system presents the driver with bad information and parking is a cacophony of sounds, busy graphics, and false warnings. Today I backed my Yukon into a space with a car on each side and to the rear. The park distance made one soft tone. I was less than 18” from the cars to the sides and about 12” to the rear. Doing this in the Air, would result in so much information being relayed to me, and none of it relevant. I would rather just turn it off and use my mirrors. NO. I don’t want to do that, I want a system that helps me.

4. I’m not going to go into Music / Nav controls interface. Every time I try to do something with the music the car warns me to watch the road. Once there is CarPlay that is what the vast majority will use, second will be android, and a distant third will be the native apps.

5. Can I have an option to press Park twice and turn off the car? Or at least turn off when I open the door. I’m 20’ from the car and my pod cast is still going.

6. Comfort access. I don’t care about this feature. My wife who is 5’0” thinks the car is unworthy of the price we paid because every other vehicle we own or have owned this century had it. She can not exit the car easily from her seating position and can not enter easily because she is too close to the wheel. Pressing P twice to turn off the car could also active comfort access or opening door. The seat goes back and wheel goes forward. Getting in the car shutting the door activates the seat / wheel going to the profile setting. Every Luxury competitor has this standard. Honda has it, GMC has it, Ford has it…..Please, convince my wife this is not a car designed by men for men. Comfort access plus the inconsistent lock/unlock, with no driver door only unlock option, she doesn’t feel safe or comfortable with the car as a driver, she loves it as a passenger.

There are some other items with the interface that could be better, for me, everything else is ok and I’m looking forward to improvements.

I would like more range information like what is my current use of KWh per mile not just the average. If I’m on the highway at 80, perhaps info of how much further I could go at 75, or 70, or 65. A range mode with suggestions and perhaps a flatter accelerator pedal curve.

My commute I don’t care about range, next year I plan to do some road trips where I will care very much.

This car is very close to winning my heart.

I drove my 2013 427, 6 speed Corvette today. Doesn’t feel particularly quick after the Air. It locks and unlocks as requested above every time with the key in my pocket. Everything else is a physical button and I don’t have to worry about touch screens, cameras, or park distance because it doesn’t have them. Homelink is 3 buttons on the visor. No look operation.

Really looking forward to the next few software updates for the Air.

Excellent comments. Please keep us apprised of the progress made addressing your issues and concerns. This is exactly the real world inconveniences (hassles may be a better word) that will make or break Lucid.

Just got this from my last trip back from AZ. Not bad actually.
20220103_165535.jpg

@hydbob how do you read this? 390 miles since you last charged (Trip B?). when did you start the trip? did you charge in between? is it showing 224miles remaining in the battery? sorry for all these questions but just wanted to set my expectations.

I reset the trip when I left Gilbert,AZ and took the pic when I got back to Los Angeles. Charged twice in between. Not entirely sure how they do it, but just adding a RL data point

@hydbob thanks. if my math is right, at 3.1 mi/kWh you got approximately 365 miles on a full charge in real world. do you have the 19" or the 21" wheels? just wanted to see what % of EPA estimate i should expect in real world.

I have the 21" wheels, also the P version. So, at 3.1 mi/kwh it's about 81%. I averaged around 82 mph...

I reset the trip when I left Gilbert,AZ and took the pic when I got back to Los Angeles. Charged twice in between. Not entirely sure how they do it, but just adding a RL data point
Any issues with the charging stations?

Just having to wait at one. But honestly, that was the best thing about the Lucid. I stopped at Quartzite and there was 2 stations down, and 2 people in line after the cars charging. I said, okay then I'll just drive another 90 miles to the next station and left.

I have the 21" wheels, also the P version. So, at 3.1 mi/kwh it's about 81%. I averaged around 82 mph...

This is very helpful. In the guesstimate of real-world range on a highway trip that I posted some time ago, I figured on using 70% of the battery's power (90%-20% charge levels) and getting 80% of the EPA range at 80 mph. That would leave me with an assumed 252 miles of range (over 3 hours of driving) for planning charging stops. It seems that guesstimate is now something we can actually plan trips around -- with some margin left in the battery pack for encountering weather or other impediments that might reduce range.

Back