• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

1000 mile update

I think it's really Spotify. Also why I was focused on the radio experience early on.

Are you using Tidal? If so, is its signal more consistent?

I think it's really Spotify. Also why I was focused on the radio experience early on.
offtopic - does your car has a sunglass holder? i don't recall seeing one when i visited in person. i really like my car's sunglass holder (and change holder).

Nope, and I just use the center console tray as a change holder.

Also, negative on Tidal but I've actually had better experience with Iheartradio

Yeah, our Spotify signals drop out all the time in our Model S Plaid and won't restart. Makes we wish for a CD changer in the glovebox as a backup when I'm on the road.

None of this streaming and internet-based everything is ready for prime time, from door latches to music to garage door opening.
That is why I want the Apple CarPlay. I have a 1000+ library of songs on my iPhone from our old CD collection ready to hear on the Lucid sound system. It’s great for trips, especially in areas with no cell signals.

That is why I want the Apple CarPlay. I have a 1000+ library of songs on my iPhone from our old CD collection ready to hear on the Lucid sound system. It’s great for trips, especially in areas with no cell signals.

So as part of my Verizon "Unlimited" package I get Apple Music included. Apple Music has more choices recorded in Dolby Atmos than any other provider, including Tidal. There have been many posts online comparing the quality of Tidal vs. Apple Music for the Dolby Atmos selections, and they both offer great sound but as I just said, Apple Music has many more choices available and it costs less. Also, with Apple Music (I don't know about Tidal) you can download into a "Playlist" on your iphone as many selections as your phone can hold and you are not at the mercy of any signal to your vehicle. When I took my test drive we listened to the Beatles "Get Back" which had been re-recorded with Dolby Atmos and the sound in the car was outstanding; easily the best I've ever heard in a car! Just my two cents worth and I apologize if this sounds like an ad for Apple; that isn't my intent. Also, you don't need Apple CarPlay to use this approach. Bluetooth connection (or USB) to your phone is all you need.

I'm not an iPhone user so maybe @SaratogaLefty is talking about this. I thought Air has USB ports? One of the things that would make me very upset is if I cannot use my Astell & Kern with built in transport or directly from player. Why do you have to use carplay? Part of my test drive will be standng still, LOL

I'll have tracks from TeNeT by Ludwig Göransson on loop

I'm not an iPhone user so maybe @SaratogaLefty is talking about this. I thought Air has USB ports? One of the things that would make me very upset is if I cannot use my Astell & Kern with built in transport or directly from player. Why do you have to use carplay? Part of my test drive will be standng still, LOL

I'll have tracks from TeNeT by Ludwig Göransson on loop

You don't need CarPlay to listen to songs from your iPhone (don't know about Android but would think it also is acceptable). As long as the songs are "recorded" on the iPhone, it can be transmitted to the car's Dolby Atmos sound system using Bluetooth or I assume also with a USB cable. On my test drive the Lucid employee just transmitted the Beatles tune from his iPhone via Bluetooth and as I said the sound was extremely impressive. The car did not have CarPlay but he assured me it will be added in the future. One of the advantages with CarPlay is you can listen to any tune from their extensive library directly and it doesn't have to be downloaded onto your iPhone first.

You don't need CarPlay to listen to songs from your iPhone (don't know about Android but would think it also is acceptable). As long as the songs are "recorded" on the iPhone, it can be transmitted to the car's Dolby Atmos sound system using Bluetooth or I assume also with a USB cable. On my test drive the Lucid employee just transmitted the Beatles tune from his iPhone via Bluetooth and as I said the sound was extremely impressive. The car did not have CarPlay but he assured me it will be added in the future. One of the advantages with CarPlay is you can listen to any tune from their extensive library directly and it doesn't have to be downloaded onto your iPhone first.

Bluetooth aptX is great quality but is not as good as FLAC or DSD. However, not sure yet if matters in a moving car. I'd have to research to see if aptX actually supports surround. I plan to always use cable. Any owners know if there's 5V power while playing audio?

Bluetooth aptX is great quality but is not as good as FLAC or DSD. However, not sure yet if matters in a moving car. I'd have to research to see if aptX actually supports surround. I plan to always use cable. Any owners know if there's 5V power while playing audio?
If audio works with a USB cable, then it may also work with a USB flash drive, but I think given the fact that there is wireless phone charging, they probably didn’t provide for USB audio access for phones.

If audio works with a USB cable, then it may also work with a USB flash drive, but I think given the fact that there is wireless phone charging, they probably didn’t provide for USB audio access for phones.

That will $@!*# me off big time. Is Dolby Atmos even supported over Bluetooth?

The are two USB ports in the center console, USB a and USB c. Haven't tried to play anything from it though

The are two USB ports in the center console, USB a and USB c. Haven't tried to play anything from it though
I’ll be trying this out soon, but USB should apear as a music source, if it’s supported.

Reactions: FFT
I’ll be trying this out soon, but USB should apear as a music source, if it’s supported.

Curious to hear. Just looking at the manual, it looks like Bluetooth-only, at least for now. I use Tidal for most of my music so I’m glad they have a built-in integration.

Curious to hear. Just looking at the manual, it looks like Bluetooth-only, at least for now. I use Tidal for most of my music so I’m glad they have a built-in integration.

Companies shouldn't be forcing you to use a subscription service unless THEY are going to pay for it.

I could have sworn someone posted image of USB audio as an option in the UI.

Companies shouldn't be forcing you to use a subscription service unless THEY are going to pay for it.

They aren’t. There are a bunch of options, and you can still play via Bluetooth. I imagine there either is or will be a USB option too, even if it isn’t there today.

They aren’t. There are a bunch of options, and you can still play via Bluetooth. I imagine there either is or will be a USB option too, even if it isn’t there today.

Ok, maybe I am naïve, the car has Dolby Atmos, which isn't supported over Bluetooth, if it is please link. So you either have to use over USB with correct file or use a paid streaming service like Tidal or Apple Music. I am just trying to learn. I truly hope hardware is there to make option in future. USB port can be power only and not all 12 pairs.

Ok, maybe I am naïve, the car has Dolby Atmos, which isn't supported over Bluetooth, if it is please link. So you either have to use over USB with correct file or use a paid streaming service like Tidal or Apple Music. I am just trying to learn. I truly hope hardware is there to make option in future. USB port can be power only and not all 12 pairs.

So I don't believe your statement regarding Dolby Atmos not being supported over Bluetooth is accurate. On my iphone 12 Pro under "Settings/Music/Audio" you can choose to have Dolby Atmos either "Automatic" or "Always On". It goes on to say "Automatic will play in Dolby Atmos and other Dolby Audio formats whenever connected to capable outputs like AirPods, AirPods Pro, Airpods Max (when spatial audio is turned on) and supported Beats headphone or Apple devices." All of these devices work via Bluetooth connection to the phone so I believe the bluetooth connection to the car will play music recorded in Dolby Atmos format utilizing the car's capabilities. Of course, the music has to have been recorded in Dolby Atmos and on Apple Music you can identify which songs have that capability. The Beatles song I listened to during my test drive (we stopped to really hear it well) was in fact recently re-recorded with Dolby Atmos and it did seem to me extremely crisp and better than anything else I've heard in a car before. My Lucid rep indicated we were in fact hearing the Dolby Atmos effect.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but I think there's confusion between encoding and decoding. In order to have a recording IN Dolby Atmos it minimally has to have 5.1.4 ENCODED. You can take ANY signal even 2 channel stereo and upsample it to play on a Dolby Atmos system. You can easily take any CD recorded in 1995 and play it on a Dolby 7.2.4 and it will be decoded to utilize all the channels and sound awesome for example. Bluetooth does not support 5.1.4 encoding however the cars Dolby Atmos processor will upsample. I am looking to use Dolby Atmos ENCODED material which will require either the transport built in Tidal as an example or my own Player connected over USB. I don't want the EFFECT. Dolby 3.1 is fuzzy logic where center channel is created using info that is both Left and Right and using a crossover frequency to separate out the low frequency. That's how the Dolby Atmos soundbars work.

upsample old school for upmix, LOL

Last edited:
Back