Wifi disconnects when car sleeps and doesn't reconnect

philco

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
The car will reliably connect to my strong wifi signal, manually, but just as reliably disconnects when the car goes to sleep. Reconnection will not happen automatically when it wakes. Requires a manual connection every time. If I drive in from outside my wifi range, the car will connect to my wifi automatically, but then disconnects again when the car goes to sleep. The car was recently at the service center for a seat replacement (easy entry not working), and they said they found no problem with the wifi connection. But when the engineering/TCU team attempted to connect to the car remotely after its return, they were unable to connect and had me turn off the wifi in order to connect over LTE. At that time, the car showed that the wifi was not connected, although wifi was on. They then told me there was no problem with the Wifi, because there were no error codes in the TCU. The final answer the engineers at Lucid came up with is that "it has to do with the software and system working in determining which and when to use the available networks at its discretion unless manually commanded by the user to connect to the network of your choice." So they are saying that the car is communicating correctly and prefers my very weak LTE signal to my very strong wifi and so disconnects the wifi. This sounds like BS to me. Anyone else having this problem?

The car will reliably connect to my strong wifi signal, manually, but just as reliably disconnects when the car goes to sleep. Reconnection will not happen automatically when it wakes. Requires a manual connection every time. If I drive in from outside my wifi range, the car will connect to my wifi automatically, but then disconnects again when the car goes to sleep. The car was recently at the service center for a seat replacement (easy entry not working), and they said they found no problem with the wifi connection. But when the engineering/TCU team attempted to connect to the car remotely after its return, they were unable to connect and had me turn off the wifi in order to connect over LTE. At that time, the car showed that the wifi was not connected, although wifi was on. They then told me there was no problem with the Wifi, because there were no error codes in the TCU. The final answer the engineers at Lucid came up with is that "it has to do with the software and system working in determining which and when to use the available networks at its discretion unless manually commanded by the user to connect to the network of your choice." So they are saying that the car is communicating correctly and prefers my very weak LTE signal to my very strong wifi and so disconnects the wifi. This sounds like BS to me. Anyone else having this problem?
When the car is asleep, it is not on WiFi. When the car is awake, it should reconnect automatically to WiFi.

If that is what’s happening, that is the intended and correct behavior.

You may have already tried these steps but I’d delete the connection and reconnect , reboot the access point and router, try a different SSID and a different band…
If none of that works and you have access to any logs from the access point and router there may be something helpful.

The final answer the engineers at Lucid came up with is that "it has to do with the software and system working in determining which and when to use the available networks at its discretion unless manually commanded by the user to connect to the network of your choice." So they are saying that the car is communicating correctly and prefers my very weak LTE signal to my very strong wifi and so disconnects the wifi. This sounds like BS to me. Anyone else having this problem?
Seems like the car is programmed to prefer LTE over Wifi. Normally Wifi would be the higher choice just like you see on your cell phone. I have also seen this in my car.

You may have already tried these steps but I’d delete the connection and reconnect , reboot the access point and router, try a different SSID and a different band…
If none of that works and you have access to any logs from the access point and router there may be something helpful.
Done more than once. Also tried a different router. No difference.

When the car is asleep, it is not on WiFi. When the car is awake, it should reconnect automatically to WiFi.

If that is what’s happening, that is the intended and correct behavior.
That's the point. It doesn't reconnect automatically. Only manually.

That's the point. It doesn't reconnect automatically. Only manually.
Got it. I wasn’t sure if you thought the dropping off while asleep was the issue.

So my question is if the car is asleep in my garage and therefore not connected to my wi-fi when an OTA update is sent out, does that mean it is relying on a weaker LTE signal to receive the OTA update?

Thanks fo sharing, @philco. I just sent you a DM.

So my question is if the car is asleep in my garage and therefore not connected to my wi-fi when an OTA update is sent out, does that mean it is relying on a weaker LTE signal to receive the OTA update?
No. The car will be woken up in order to download an update. Once it is awake, it will connect to WiFi and download.

If the wake up message fails, then the next time you manually wake up the car it will download the update (again, on WiFi if available and turned on).

Also, LTE isn’t inferior in any way. It may be slower, or it may be faster, depending on your wifi and location, but the same bits will get there either way.

Thanks fo sharing, @philco. I just sent you a DM.

@mcr16 I have similar issues as well. OTA does not initiate over WiFi and I have a case open. Both @philco and I have Deco devices originally and we both tried different routers. In my case, the car is now on a separate internet circuit with its own router. Lucid was blaming my home WiFi but I don’t agree. I have changed everything including the ISP. I have been a network engineer for years and happy to work with Lucid engineering team to get to the bottom of it and document it for future customers. I would appreciate if you could reach out to me as well. My LTE is very weak in my garage and my OTAs never worked on my WiFi. Happy to work with you to figure this out for good.

@mcr16 I have similar issues as well. OTA does not initiate over WiFi and I have a case open. Both @philco and I have Deco devices originally and we both tried different routers. In my case, the car is now on a separate internet circuit with its own router. Lucid was blaming my home WiFi but I don’t agree. I have changed everything including the ISP. I have been a network engineer for years and happy to work with Lucid engineering team to get to the bottom of it and document it for future customers. I would appreciate if you could reach out to me as well. My LTE is very weak in my garage and my OTAs never worked on my WiFi. Happy to work with you to figure this out for good.
How recently? You may very well have a bug of course, but OTAs didn’t download over WiFi *at all* until the switchover to the new OTA system, which is why I’m asking.

How recently? You may very well have a bug of course, but OTAs didn’t download over WiFi *at all* until the switchover to the new OTA system, which is why I’m asking.

I only had the car since July 2024. Car came with 2.2.10. Every update I did since was over LTE or initiated over LTE. Two of those updates were with Lucid tech working with the OTA team. The download kept failing unless we turned WiFi off. However, once initiated over LTE, turning on WiFi made it continue the download over WiFi. We tried this because after initiating the download over LTE, it was taking several hours due to poor signal. I suggested to the tech that we try connecting to WiFi while download is in progress and it worked great. Of course, I have no visibility to the download status while over LTE but the tech was on Teams with the OTA team and they could see it all.

For some reason, it just couldn’t initiate a download over WiFi. I am happy to work with Lucid to figure this out. My air is on an open wrt router right now and I have services and scripts running that is recording all bandwidth usage stats. That is why I can confidently confirm this behavior.

Back