Why some EV owners went back to ICE

But most people who do have the ability to charge at home will only fret over charging the few times they road trip over 300 miles or so per year. This is far less common than most YouTubers would have you believe.

Encountering charging problems that prolong a charging stopover are one thing and, frankly, all we've experienced so far. However, the problems have been ubiquitous enough -- and not diminishing with time -- that I'm now worried about the day where we will not be able to charge at all and not have the juice to get to another location that is working. During the early Tesla days, Triple A and other towing services invested in mobile generators that could charge a stranded vehicle. However, as Tesla's Supercharging network rapidly expanded -- and proved reliable -- calls for assistance were few, and most of this emergency charging service has been disbanded.

I have loved road trips all my life and, now in retirement, bought the Lucid largely because of its promise of better range and more comfort than our Teslas. We take road trips beyond the single-charge range quite often. (Our three cars have cumulatively racked up over 40,000 miles in the last 15 months.) We charge at home and never use DCFC locally in order to avoid the stress it puts on the battery pack. But we NEED reliable charging when we take those road trips.

How many people would put their ICE cars on the road if the refueling situation were as sketchy as CCS charging is?

And why has Tesla's 10-year-old network developed such a reputation for reliability while EA's 5-year-old network is on the opposite trajectory?

I am a graduate of 12 years of Amerikan public school education, and I have seen inverters and transformers, and I can say with the certanty of blind ignorance that there is nothing to maintain under those metal boxes....they work or do not. Nothing to maintain. Inverters are just upside down transformers sliced in half.

What are they doing? replacing the worn belts and bearings on the hamster wheel? Did they have an arc welder? Were they replenishing the blinker fluid? ... wait ... were they cleaning the throttle body?

Electricians ... I do not trust them and their invisible powers. Give me something with real fire : coal, oil, lithium metal.

Last edited:
I am a graduate of 12 years of Amerikan public school education, and I have seen inverters and transformers, and I can say with the certanty of blind ignorance that there is nothing to maintain under those metal boxes....they work or do not. Ever see a guy "doing maintenance" on a utility pole transformer ? No. They work or do not. Nothing to maintain. Inverters are just upside down transformers sliced in half.

What are they doing? replacing the worn belts and bearings on the hamster wheel? Did they have an arc welder? Were they replenishing the blinker fluid? ... wait ... were they cleaning the throttle body?

Again, I call bullship. There used to be a time when you could "maintain" a car by opening the hood and looking...there were ways to remove your face with super-heated steam, or lose a set of fingers on a belt pulley, even shock yourself with 50000 volts from a plug wire...that's maintainance. Electricians ... I do not trust any of them.

There is nothing under the charger covers but mice. Did they have any tools ? No. I bet they were removing a squirrel nest.
I think half the issue is the software / infrastructure backbone which is something VW Group as a whole just isn’t good at. They installed 3G modems in them when 4G LTE was well and truly up and running with good coverage. Charger can’t phone home to activate then it’s dead in the water.

The mechanical part I feel the majority of issues are in the cables from the charger to the car themselves. They have sensors in them and the moment they detect the liquid cooling isn’t working 100% they stop or slow down the charging speed. In the early days EA had to replace a whole bunch of faulty cable sensors but as we can see that did a fat lot of good.

It’s not going to change because a majority of the issues seem to stem from a company who simply doesn’t know how to build and maintain reliable infrastructure from A to Z.

I love being in Arizona our chargers infrastructure has to be best In the world!!

Can you imagine 88 chargers would that be largest in the world ?!?!

My one and only EA experience was actually pre-Lucid. I pulled my Bolt into a 8 bay station in northern Cincinnati, plugged the car in and walked away. I returned to find that it had stopped charging a minute or so after I plugged it in. Tried several other posts and most of them wouldn't even initiate the charge. Got the attention of two technicians who were doing some work on the EA stations. They were not able to get any of the stations to work. One finally explained to me in broken English "Charger is fine - you car is broken; won't take power". Curious because I have charged it hundreds of times at non-EA stations and at home for the previous 5 years. Reported the incident to EA with the assurance that they would 'look into it' and that my satisfaction was their utmost concern. Yep, never heard another word from them....

I love being in Arizona our chargers infrastructure has to be best In the world!!

Can you imagine 88 chargers would that be largest in the world ?!?!

Please keep your posts relevant to Lucid. This post would be more at home on a Tesla board. Thank you.

Rant here. I find it unbelievably disheartening that our charging system is so pathetic, especially in comparison to Europe, and likely China. It really takes a coordinated effort between the government and private companies , and it’s really unbelievable that progress has been so slow. I blame a significant portion of that lack of progress on the sizable antiscience faction of our population, and in our government. I know changes are coming, but they should be moving at light speed, not at a snail’s pace. Also, enough of the free charging; it’s an anti- incentive!! OK I feel better now , end of rant. Sorry Bobby I know this is not really a Lucid issue, but I couldn’t contain myself.😁

Rant here. I find it unbelievably disheartening that our charging system is so pathetic, especially in comparison to Europe, and likely China. It really takes a coordinated effort between the government and private companies , and it’s really unbelievable that progress has been so slow. I blame a significant portion of that lack of progress on the sizable antiscience faction of our population, and in our government. I know changes are coming, but they should be moving at light speed, not at a snail’s pace. Also, enough of the free charging; it’s an anti- incentive!! OK I feel better now , end of rant. Sorry Bobby I know this is not really a Lucid issue, but I couldn’t contain myself.😁
Yup. Agree 100%. It's the early days and this too will pass. I imagine the same problems existed in the early days of gasoline cars. The only difference was we didn't have the internet to hear about it all the time.

Just to make a smalll comment here I live in Phoenix and we surprised our kids with a wonderful trip to Anaheim California for Disneyland. We only had our Model S Plaid at the time we drove from Phoenix to Quartxzite about half way. There are 26 chargers at Tesla Quartzite and all of them capable of 250kw max. At least comparatively to EA - this is the biggest charging station I have ever seen and there are plans to expand it to 80+ chargers in coming years. So we stopped at this one charger and small charger inside California for our entire trip to Disneyland and on the way back we only stopped at 1 charger in Ehrenberg. At 370 miles range on Plaid fully charged it makes it a nice road trip car that is pretty reliable so I just wanted to say I do agree Tesla is reliable network.
Your first comment: “ev charge infrastructure is so vital to the success and image of ev. However I do think the counter point is a lot of people charge at home.” was relevant and on point. You should have stopped there though.

You might be a nice guy, but your comments about how much you love your Plaid are getting old. You literally throw them into multiple threads on this Lucid Owners Forum every opportunity you get. I just don’t understand the purpose in that unless you are purposely trying to stir up debate. Now I also know I could have just scrolled on past and not commented as I’m sure this might not be considered “helpful” either, but come on dude, give it a rest. For the record, I’m happy you found a car you love so much, I really am.

Your first comment: “ev charge infrastructure is so vital to the success and image of ev. However I do think the counter point is a lot of people charge at home.” was relevant and on point. You should have stopped there though.

You might be a nice guy, but your comments about how much you love your Plaid are getting old. You literally throw them into multiple threads on this Lucid Owners Forum every opportunity you get. I just don’t understand the purpose in that unless you are purposely trying to stir up debate. Now I also know I could have just scrolled on past and not commented as I’m sure this might not be considered “helpful” either, but come on dude, give it a rest. For the record, I’m happy you found a car you love so much, I really am.
You'd think the temporary ban would have made him think a bit about *why* he was temp banned... Maybe not 🤷🏻‍♂️

ev charge infrastructure is so vital to the success and image of ev. However I do think the counter point is a lot of people charge at home.
Assuming they can and they don't have free charging.

What do you mean by "anti-science faction of our population"? and if it even exists, what does it have to do with EA's failures?

Every time I hear someone rave about Tesla, I would like to point out that the charging infrastructure ccs will eventually dominate and the market share of tesla will shrink. Also as far as I know it is not trivial to add radar ultrasonic sensors and lidar to any existing tesla and software cannot compensate for the lack of sensors but software can be improved to use all the existing sensors. So it is only a question of when lucid and others will totally out perform the current tesla cars. If you are old enough to remember how Sony dominated the home video camcorder market and how others killed it and now smartphones killed all the camcorders, you are driving a Tesla which will become a relic in just a few years. Enjoy it while you can. Did you place a reservation for lucid or you are here to talk about Tesla? I thought most of us here are either interested in lucid or have one on order and have questions. That said if you don't care about adas aka autopilot or fsd and you don't mind the 12 yr old design style of tesla, I know tesla owners who bought in 2013 a model s 60 and they plan to keep it for another 10years with a new battery. Enjoy your ride.

• Hmm
Reactions: DBV

unless you are purposely trying to stir up debate.
So..."debate" is a bad thing on this site...gotta think about that

So..."debate" is a bad thing on this site...gotta think about that
I don't think this forum is meant for debate. I believe that it is for the current owners and serious future owners to discuss lucid.

You all need to stop dissing me cause I got a tesla. Hmp10 has one too and he kindly and respectfully said he tells his friends that want to go on a road trip that Tesla is the better choice for a road trip and all I said was that I agree Tesla is a nice car for taking to Disneyland from Phoenix.

The race is against ICE both Lucid and Tesla will do well but for now with better charge infrastructure that will likely open to all EVs. Let’s say Tesla opened all its chargers to all Lucid owners tomorrow what would it unlock? You would have safe reliable transport all across the US. We are Allies for the future of electric vehicles.

You all need to stop dissing me cause I got a tesla. Hmp10 has one too and he kindly and respectfully said he tells his friends that want to go on a road trip that Tesla is the better choice for a road trip and all I said was that I agree Tesla is a nice car for taking to Disneyland from Phoenix.
I'm not exactly sure why you post on this board at all. Wouldn't you be more at home frequenting the board of the vehicle you have purchased and love? I certainly don't go to the Tesla forums and post why I love my Lucid.

The thing is, he has both vehicles and offers comparisons. Since you don't have a Lucid, you are unable to offer such insight. I'm not exactly sure why you post on this board at all. Wouldn't you be more at home frequenting the board of the vehicle you have purchased and love? I certainly don't go to the Tesla forums and post why I love my Lucid.
Am I not even allowed to say I agree with hmp10 this is a forum we kindly and respectfully discuss things right?

The race is against ICE both Lucid and Tesla will do well but for now with better charge infrastructure that will likely open to all EVs. Let’s say Tesla opened all its chargers to all Lucid owners tomorrow what would it unlock? You would have safe reliable transport all across the US. We are Allies for the future of electric vehicles.
No one wants to diss you buddy. You are on the wrong forum.

Am I not even allowed to say I agree with hmp10 this is a forum we kindly and respectfully discuss things right?
Sort of. We kindly and respectfully discuss Lucid. Not Tesla. We all know Tesla exists, we all considered buying a Tesla instead of our Lucid, but decided not to. This forum is for Lucid owners and enthusiasts. You are neither of those.

Back