Why no real reviews?

Lucken

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Pure, BMW i4
Referral Code
97KPWDUB
Aside from one or two, there are really no in-depth reviews by major reviewers on the Lucid that I’m aware of. Puff pieces don’t count. The other car I’m interested in, the BMW i4, has so many in-depth reviews, I literally cannot keep up with them...and that car hasn’t even been released yet in the US and some other countries.

Is it simply the lack of availability of testers? If so, surely Lucid could take a couple of cars and rotate them around for reviews by different publications. I’m sure foreign reviewers would be more than happy to come to the U.S. to perform their assessments.

Am I just missing these reviews?

Yes, check YouTube and search for Lucid air review, there must be over half a dozen by reputable car reviewer’s.

Why would you want a reviewer when you have these forums? Haha;)

From the point of view of product life cycle, I don't think there's a difference between BMW and Lucid in terms of making testers available. BMW made their i4 and iX cars available for reviews only after they got manufacturing and sales well underway. For example, the iX was already being delivered to customers in the EU before review units hit the US for independent reviews. Lucid actually isn't that far off from that perspective, as they haven't hit the point in their life cycle where they can easily manufacture cars and make them available to reviewers for prolonged periods. As Lucid is just a fraction of the size of BMW and is just at the start of a whole new manufacturing and software process, I tend to cut them a little slack on these types of things.

That being said, this is where BMW's advantages in manufacturing and software play a significant role. The i4 and iX are made in well-established, flexible plants in Munich and Dingolfing respectively, so churning these cars out is relatively easy for them. The i4 has an additional advantage as you know because only its powertrain and associated components differ from the regular 4 series, so most of the manufacturing has been mastered. Volume production simply isn't an issue for BMW. And their software is an evolution, not a brand new effort.

Buying a Lucid means lots of early adoption risk and inconvenience. Is it worth it?

Finally, could you name a review site that doesn't publish puff pieces? Seriously. Bias in auto reviews is rampant. And in-depth reviews will not go into the detail we learn from actual owners on this forum.

If you go to most major car magazines online sites ( caranddriver.com ,motortrend.com, topgear.com etc.) you will find a review. I must have read a dozen as well as seen that many on you tube by big and little bloggers

So the first review that pops up on YouTube is linked below. Has anyone had the issue he experienced? This sounds fairly serious depending on where it might occur.

So the first review that pops up on YouTube is linked below. Has anyone had the issue he experienced? This sounds fairly serious depending on where it might occur.

First time I've ever heard of it

I have an allergic reaction to channels like these. Clickbait.
He has many followers, but he doesn’t normally do car reviews. I think he’s a young trendy investor.

Much of the video was wasted on auto-parking fails in unmarked parking spots. I did appreciate his comments on the controls and finish, and the comparison to the Model S. I am glad that I got to see some owner-created content.

He has many followers, but he doesn’t normally do car reviews. I think he’s a young trendy investor.

Much of the video was wasted on auto-parking fails in unmarked parking spots. I did appreciate his comments on the controls and finish, and the comparison to the Model S. I am glad that I got to see some owner-created content.
The auto park fail was actually kind of funny when it parked vertically in a parallel spot. Otherwise it was obvious he was a bit of a Tesla fanboy, but I think he was fairly objective. He’s got a ton of followers.

The auto park fail was actually kind of funny when it parked vertically in a parallel spot. Otherwise it was obvious he was a bit of a Tesla fanboy, but I think he was fairly objective. He’s got a ton of followers.
Is there a car that is actually good at auto park right now? Every single one I've seen try is only marginally successful, even Lucid

Is there a car that is actually good at auto park right now? Every single one I've seen try is only marginally successful, even Lucid
I agree, but that was the first time I saw a car think it was a perpendicular spot when it was actually a parallel spot. Usually the misses you see with most cars, is they park too far from the curb or too close, hitting the wheels against the curb.

I agree, but that was the first time I saw a car think it was a perpendicular spot when it was actually a parallel spot. Usually the misses you see with most cars, is they park too far from the curb or too close, hitting the wheels against the curb.
True, but Lucid has already stated that for auto park it needs an object to orient itself before it can park

True, but Lucid has already stated that for auto park it needs an object to orient itself before it can park
If you watch that video, it clearly did have that object. It was a spot that should have been big enough. At any rate, I agree with you, I don't trust these auto park features on any car...unless you enjoy damaging your wheels as my MS did on its first (and last) try. :)

If you watch that video, it clearly did have that object. It was a spot that should have been big enough. At any rate, I agree with you, I don't trust these auto park features on any car...unless you enjoy damaging your wheels as my MS did on its first (and last) try. :)
Lol yea, that's why thank goodness for other owners like @Bill55 and @Jon_Rettinger for testing the park assist for us

Lol yea, that's why thank goodness for other owners like @Bill55 and @Jon_Rettinger for testing the park assist for us

I’ve had some issues (and reported them) with auto park. It has worked a few times, but largely it’s had issues.

The funniest ones, by far, are in the latest release; when stopped at a light in two lanes, if I’m in the left lane and there are two cars to my right with some space between them, auto park perks up and suggests perpendicular parking between them haha. Reported that one too.

It’s not a safety issue because it just presents the suggestion and I would have to engage it, of course, but it’s kinda amusing.

I just park it myself most of the time, but enjoy trying the auto park when I can to see how it’s progressed.

I’ve had some issues (and reported them) with auto park. It has worked a few times, but largely it’s had issues.

The funniest ones, by far, are in the latest release; when stopped at a light in two lanes, if I’m in the left lane and there are two cars to my right with some space between them, auto park perks up and suggests perpendicular parking between them haha. Reported that one too.

It’s not a safety issue because it just presents the suggestion and I would have to engage it, of course, but it’s kinda amusing.

I just park it myself most of the time, but enjoy trying the auto park when I can to see how it’s progressed.
I have another video of parking between 2 cars with one passing car. It was a space big enough for a suburban, the car did fine. I'll try and get that up tonight. I haven't tried to use the system on a busy street, less stressful to park myself.

the auto park was funny/weird/bad.

Back