Wheels

These may not be the most stylish, but If unsprung mass is a concern, these may be a good option:

A little steep in price ($1900) per wheel. They don't indicate if they offer any aerodynamic improvement. The looks are so so, but that can be improved upon.

Michelin's EV tires, including the OEM tires on Teslas, also use foam to deaden road noise. I've read that it does make an audible difference.
How much of a noise reduction is really the issue. Pirelli has the same tire (for 19") without the foam for more than $100 less per tire. A prospective buyer would have to decide if it is worth the extra money.

These may not be the most stylish, but If unsprung mass is a concern, these may be a good option:

Yes, but these aren't aero wheels as The New Aero area.

What about the 19" wheels? Did they say they too would fit a Lucid Hub?

Since the 21" and the 19" Lucid wheels are interchangeable (meaning same bolt patterns and similar offsets), I don't see any reason why The New Aero wheels wouldn't be interchangeable.

Wasn't there something about a foam filling to reduce road noise inside the Pirellis? Is that part of the tire or something added by Lucid? Would other tires offer that or do you just move the foam when you swap the tire?
A consideration that I do not know has been fully vetted yet is that there may be an issue with foam in the wheels, in that it may become dislodged (for example, when running over a significant pothole), so that the tire becomes unbalanced. I know @bunnylebowski reported this as a concern when he had some vibrations and had heard this might be the cause. Not sure if there was ever a clear resolution to the question of whether the foam was the issue.

Yes, but these aren't aero wheels as The New Aero area.
(Nice alliteration... :) )

True. I'm thinking more of a start-stop use case. It takes energy to spin wheels up to speed and slow them down. My daily driving will be almost exclusively city cycle, so my theory is I'd see more benefit from lighter wheels. And the composite design promises some NVH benefits too.

Since the 21" and the 19" Lucid wheels are interchangeable (meaning same bolt patterns and similar offsets), I don't see any reason why The New Aero wheels wouldn't be interchangeable.
Great to hear. They look like a good buy at $2400 per set. I would like to see a reliable verification of the range improvement that they claim. Did you get anything from them that verified their range improvement?

(Nice alliteration... :) )

True. I'm thinking more of a start-stop use case. It takes energy to spin wheels up to speed and slow them down. My daily driving will be almost exclusively city cycle, so my theory is I'd see more benefit from lighter wheels. And the composite design promises some NVH benefits too.

That dang autocorrect at its mischief again . . . .

The New Aero wheels are quite heavy, which is part of my hesitation to try them without knowing what the 21" DE wheels weigh. However, the mass is nearer the hub than in many wheels, thus reducing the effects of rotational inertia on acceleration and braking. But you've still got the dead weight of the wheel to deal with, of course, both in terms of adding to the weight of an already-heavy vehicle and adding it in the wrong place, i. e., unsprung.

The Air is so beautifully balanced that I'm very reluctant to tamper with non-factory components anywhere in the chassis.

A consideration that I do not know has been fully vetted yet is that there may be an issue with foam in the wheels, in that it may become dislodged (for example, when running over a significant pothole), so that the tire becomes unbalanced. I know @bunnylebowski reported this as a concern when he had some vibrations and had heard this might be the cause. Not sure if there was ever a clear resolution to the question of whether the foam was the issue.
They did a road force balance on the tires and the vibration is much better. Not entirely absent but much more subdued and only noticeable on certain roads. The Kia EV6 has been having a lot of problems with their tires and the foam getting dislodged when hitting a pothole, but I don’t know if they’re P-Zeros.

35 lbs is heavy for a rim/ wheel!

I looked at the new aero website and they post a bunch of efficiency data. But I’m not sure how that translates to real world. I’m worried the increased unsprung weight will nullify any efficiency gains. Did they actually put them on a car and test range?

35 lbs is heavy for a rim/ wheel!

I looked at the new aero website and they post a bunch of efficiency data. But I’m not sure how that translates to real world. I’m worried the increased unsprung weight will nullify any efficiency gains. Did they actually put them on a car and test range?

Yes, 35 pounds is on the heavy side, especially for a forged wheel. Then, again, these wheels are engineered for cars that weigh over 5,000 pounds and are capable of very strong acceleration and high speed.

I'm not too worried about the effect of that weight on efficiency, given that the mass is more concentrated around the hub than in most wheel designs. It's more of a ride/handling concern for me . . . IF those wheels are significantly heavier than the Lucid wheels. That's the big unknown for me right now.

I only had a brief email exchange with The New Aero. They do respond to inquiries, though, sent through the contact information on their website. (Make sure their answer doesn't land in your spam folder, as it first did in mine.)

Yes, 35 pounds is on the heavy side, especially for a forged wheel. Then, again, these wheels are engineered for cars that weigh over 5,000 pounds and are capable of very strong acceleration and high speed.

I'm not too worried about the effect of that weight on efficiency, given that the mass is more concentrated around the hub than in most wheel designs. It's more of a ride/handling concern for me . . . IF those wheels are significantly heavier than the Lucid wheels. That's the big unknown for me right now.

I only had a brief email exchange with The New Aero. They do respond to inquiries, though, sent through the contact information on their website. (Make sure their answer doesn't land in your spam folder, as it first did in mine.)

Agree

I’m concerned that they posted all of this efficiency data. When all they would need to do would be post a range test with the stock rims a theirs. I’m surprised they didn’t, which leads me to think that range isn’t really affected that much.

With the EV range obsessions if they advertised an increased range test. that would be the best selling point

Bumping this thread. Anyone figure out the actual weight of the lucid 21 inch wheel? Is it a forged wheel? Monoblock or multiple parts? Sorry if this has been answered in another thread somewhere already, searched but couldn’t find it.

I believe the foam inside the tire is 90% marketing. Road noise comes from the interaction between the tread and the road surface. Tread is designed to provide grip, channel out water, and do so without creating vibrations at frequencies that are audible. The foam inside the tire would deaden some resonant frequencies but that would be a 2nd order effect.

I believe the foam inside the tire is 90% marketing. Road noise comes from the interaction between the tread and the road surface. Tread is designed to provide grip, channel out water, and do so without creating vibrations at frequencies that are audible. The foam inside the tire would deaden some resonant frequencies but that would be a 2nd order effect.
Having a fair amount of understanding of acoustics and wave mechanics, I can see how the foam could reduce noise transmitted as sound loves to travel through air, which the tire is quite full of and is its own little resonance chamber. But all the knowledge in the world may not hold up under testing, so interestingly enough Kyle Connor went to Goodyear’s test track and rode in a Model S on the same surface on the tires with and without the noise cancelling foam. He said he could appreciate a difference, and listening on headphones I could maybe appreciate a small difference, but Goodyear says their test equipment (they utilize a binaural microphone array, I’ve used one made by Neumann and they’re excellent quality), of their foam reduced the noise by 4dB. A professionally trained ear can usually not detect changes less than 2-3dB, so I think there’s some power of suggestion going on when someone says “wow I can really hear a difference”. Yeah you might be able to but not that much. I think in a car like the Tesla which by most accounts allows more noise into the cabin than would be considered good, you might actually notice a difference between the foam insert tires versus no foam. But in a car like the Lucid or Mercedes which is already pretty damn quiet inside, I seriously doubt you’d notice much of a difference with the foam inside the tire.

Bumping this thread. Anyone figure out the actual weight of the lucid 21 inch wheel? Is it a forged wheel? Monoblock or multiple parts? Sorry if this has been answered in another thread somewhere already, searched but couldn’t find it.

the "bathroom scale" weights of the wheels/tires gets me wheel weight by "lost wax" method: Specs are for Lucid factory issue wheels and Pirelli tires.

Lucid Aero Blade with Pirelli P Zero 245/35/R21 = 64.0 Lbs. tire = 24 Lbs. wheel = 40 Lbs.
HL245/35R21
99Y HL BSW
320 AA A
27.8"9.8"8-9.5"8.5"9/32"HL1709 lbs50 psi186 mph24 lbsBlack748

Lucid Aero Blade with Pirelli P Zero 265/35/R21 = 69.4 Lbs. tire = 29 Lbs. wheel = 40.4 Lbs.

HL265/35R21
103Y HL BSW
280 AA A
28.3"10.7"9-10.5"9.5"9/32"HL1929 lbs51 psi186 mph29 lbsBlack734

Lucid Aero Range with Pirelli P Zero A/S 245/45/R19 = 55.8 Lbs. tire = 27 Lbs. wheel = 28.8 Lbs.
245/45R19
102Y XL BSW
500 A A
27.8"9.8"7.5-9"8"10/32"XL1874 lbs50 psi27 lbs748

My understanding that the Dream Edition 21" wheels are forged, all others likely spin or pressure cast.

Also note that the revolutions per mile is the same for the 19" A/S tires and only the front 245/35/R21 tires, while the rear 265/35/R21 rear tires are 734 revs / mile .... hence the need to recalibrate the speedometer/odometer when changing wheels/tires.

Tire Size

Last edited:
Back