Wheels

took my car on a trip to the Okanagen (BC wine country, comparable to Napa Valley)

Attachments

• 20230709_092723.jpg
    20230709_092723.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 197
  • 20230709_092703.jpg
    20230709_092703.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 189
  • 20230709_092646.jpg
    20230709_092646.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 195
From Forza:

We use Aluminum 6061-T6 Alloy.

Per Chat-GPT:
I believe you’re referring to the aluminum alloy 6061-T6. This is a versatile and widely used heat-treatable aluminum alloy. The numbers 6061 denote the specific alloy, while the “T6” refers to the temper or degree of hardness, which is achieved by precipitation hardening.

The 6061-T6 alloy has excellent mechanical properties, including good workability and high strength. It has a good balance of strength, weight, and resistance to corrosion, making it ideal for structural applications. Additionally, it has good weldability and can be both hot and cold worked, making it suitable for uses such as in aircraft components, boat construction, bicycle frames, and other parts where light weight and high strength are critical.

The milling process is underway. Since I’ve never done custom wheels before, I thought I’d share in case anyone is interested.

Not sure if the video will come through…

Attachments

• image_20230731152813.png
    image_20230731152813.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 143
  • image_20230731152559.jpeg
    image_20230731152559.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
  • image_20230731152549.jpeg
    image_20230731152549.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 143
Just got the “boxed and ready to ship” notification from the Forza team. 19” “Dream” wheels for our Minnesota winter that probably starts in a month :/

Attachments

• image_20230810093023.jpeg
    image_20230810093023.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 127
  • image_20230810092745.jpeg
    image_20230810092745.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 129
  • image_20230810092714.jpeg
    image_20230810092714.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 127
Wondering what folks would use as tires with these wheels?

The conversation around winter tires is interesting given load and traction requirements. Seems like our Colorado cousins are the most knowledgeable on the Lucid + winter driving topic…

Please holler with ideas. Leaning towards Michelin at this point.

The conversation around winter tires is interesting given load and traction requirements. Seems like our Colorado cousins are the most knowledgeable on the Lucid + winter driving topic…

19" Pirelli all season? People have also used the sotozeros with success.

My Denver and Vail Colorado 35 years experience with performance Audi quattros. Climate change has affected winter tire selection. Thirty years ago, we had loose snow and packed snow roads alot of the winter. Not now. A foot of snow, 15f one week, 75 deg F the next and dry pavement. As a result, I look now at performance winter tires that do well in very cold or warm but dry road conditions. Trust me, with our car's weight and AWD, snow traction on any winter tire will be greatly improved. Butt I do not put snow traction high on my list. Buffalo and Minneapolis would be different.

For my new Lucid, I choose the Michi Alpin 5. They really keep working to improve this tire. Best reviews NOW on Audi and Tire Rack but I am sure it will wear quickly. Best real world driving reviews. And great cold dry performance. 102V xl rating.

Veredstein was my second choice. Reviews put it near the Michelin. 102W XL rating. Excellent company. Better on the track, second to the Alpin in real world street. I am biased. I just never thought of them as a fun speed tire. A boring dependable workhorse, yes. I am sure my opinion is outdated.

My original preferred choice was Blizzak. But the Blizzak model that I and everyone adore is not made in our size for the Lucid. The model Blizzak makes for our car gets poor reviews.

The Dunlop Winter Sport is discontinued. Worked well on a Porsche 911. And great for Audi. Some in Vail and Breckenridge kept them on year around, they handled so well in the dry.

I know @hydbob likes the Pirelli Sottozero but they are universally disliked on the Audi forums. Like all Pirellis, they are either fine or tons of issues. I am biased, I really do not like Pirellis. I know of no performance Audi enthusiast that likes them. I know Lucid pushes them. Porsche dealers did too. Just say no.

I needed a real winter tire that could handle prolonged speed on dry roads at 20F, do good on slick packed snow at 30F, still handle and motor through the occasional 12 inch dump and handle the occasional 70 degree January day. I chose the Alpin. Sure I would have liked the Veredstein.

My Denver and Vail Colorado 35 years experience with performance Audi quattros. Climate change has affected winter tire selection. Thirty years ago, we had loose snow and packed snow roads alot of the winter. Not now. A foot of snow, 15f one week, 75 deg F the next and dry pavement. As a result, I look now at performance winter tires that do well in very cold or warm but dry road conditions. Trust me, with our car's weight and AWD, snow traction on any winter tire will be greatly improved. Butt I do not put snow traction high on my list. Buffalo and Minneapolis would be different.

For my new Lucid, I choose the Michi Alpin 5. They really keep working to improve this tire. Best reviews NOW on Audi and Tire Rack but I am sure it will wear quickly. Best real world driving reviews. And great cold dry performance. 102V xl rating.

Veredstein was my second choice. Reviews put it near the Michelin. 102W XL rating. Excellent company. Better on the track, second to the Alpin in real world street. I am biased. I just never thought of them as a fun speed tire. A boring dependable workhorse, yes. I am sure my opinion is outdated.

My original preferred choice was Blizzak. But the Blizzak model that I and everyone adore is not made in our size for the Lucid. The model Blizzak makes for our car gets poor reviews.

The Dunlop Winter Sport is discontinued. Worked well on a Porsche 911. And great for Audi. Some in Vail and Breckenridge kept them on year around, they handled so well in the dry.

I know @hydbob likes the Pirelli Sottozero but they are universally disliked on the Audi forums. Like all Pirellis, they are either fine or tons of issues. I am biased, I really do not like Pirellis. I know of no performance Audi enthusiast that likes them. I know Lucid pushes them. Porsche dealers did too. Just say no.

I needed a real winter tire that could handle prolonged speed on dry roads at 20F, do good on slick packed snow at 30F, still handle and motor through the occasional 12 inch dump and handle the occasional 70 degree January day. I chose the Alpin. Sure I would have liked the Veredstein.
Just to clarify, I have absolutely 0 experience with winter tires. I just mentioned ones that previous member had success with, but probably should have waited for your response instead. 😁

Just to clarify, I have absolutely 0 experience with winter tires. I just mentioned ones that previous member had success with, but probably should have waited for your response instead. 😁
No worries, @hydbob . I am sure @joec has lots of experience experience and opinions as well. Your car, location and intended use matters greatly. Advice for Denver may not apply to Minneapolis. Winter tires run a far wider gamut than All Season. From very HD winter tires made for plowing through three feet of snow with low speed ratings to high speed winter tires geared for performance on cold dry roads. I have been lucky enough to go to the Nokian and Bridgestone winter test tracks. And smack up a few test cars 😎

The point of my post is that winter tire selection is a lot more individualistic that high performance all season, where I can recommend Conti DWS 06 plus usually.

Just curious. How much is shipping?
Varies by weight and method. By boat is roughly half the price of air and roughly double the travel time. I chose air. ~$500 lumped into the overall purchase.

Varies by weight and method. By boat is roughly half the price of air and roughly double the travel time. I chose air. ~$500 lumped into the overall purchase.
Really curious about these after market wheels. Have you received them yet or any updates?

I ordered a set of Avant Garde wheels the same day I ordered the Lucid. Hopefully they will be ready in the next week or so. I had 22s on my model S and Model Y performance

I needed some all season tires for the cooler Winter here and decided to go with 19” due to more tire options. I went with the New Aero Razor wheel.
IMG_0029.jpeg
IMG_0019.jpeg

Really curious about these after market wheels. Have you received them yet or any updates?
Hey there,
Sorry I didn’t catch this post earlier. I got the wheels. They look awesome! Just got the winter tires mounted on them, but haven’t placed them on the vehicle yet.

I will be sure to post once I put them on the car.

Hey there,
Sorry I didn’t catch this post earlier. I got the wheels. They look awesome! Just got the winter tires mounted on them, but haven’t placed them on the vehicle yet.

I will be sure to post once I put them on the car.
What size did you get? It was Dream Edition style?

Back