Wheels

Demosthenes

Wondering if anyone here has some insight on aftermarket wheels for EVs in general and for lucid in particular? Love the look of the HRE p200’s but not sure what the implications of swapping out the stock wheels for these would be? Impact on range and/or driving experience? Assuming I keep the stock Pirelli tires, or should I also change those?

These are the HRE’s: https://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/series-p2/p200

Pretty certain almost everyone here is going to swapping out the Pirellis...

Pretty certain almost everyone here is going to swapping out the Pirellis...
For Michelins? I remember seeing some threads on this, but there wasn’t any conclusive recommended replacement yet right?

What about the wheels themselves?

I know I will be swapping to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS. I know @Dreamed said she swapped already to the Michelin

Wasn't there something about a foam filling to reduce road noise inside the Pirellis? Is that part of the tire or something added by Lucid? Would other tires offer that or do you just move the foam when you swap the tire?

Wasn't there something about a foam filling to reduce road noise inside the Pirellis? Is that part of the tire or something added by Lucid? Would other tires offer that or do you just move the foam when you swap the tire?
That's part of the tire itself. To answer @Demosthenes I haven't heard of anyone on these forums that have swapped tires. There was that one picture of Tony Hawk's car where it looked like he might've swapped to something else though, and from some other posts about offsets and such, it "appears" that the 21" wheels can be swapped with Tesla wheels.

Thank you Hydbob. So in theory would other tires have more road noise due to the lack of sound deadening material?

Thanks Hydbob! When I look at the specs for those Michelin’s, they seem to be rated at roughly 1500-2500 lbs max weight capacity. Is that per tire, so multiply by 4? Or overall?

Thanks Hydbob! When I look at the specs for those Michelin’s, they seem to be rated at roughly 1500-2500 lbs max weight capacity. Is that per tire, so multiply by 4? Or overall?
The 265/35 21 are rated at 1800 lbs per tire, forgot the number for the 245.

Thank you Hydbob. So in theory would other tires have more road noise due to the lack of sound deadening material?
From what I've read it depends on the tire. Others on this forum have reported the foam doesn't do much.

Wondering if anyone here has some insight on aftermarket wheels for EVs in general and for lucid in particular? Love the look of the HRE p200’s but not sure what the implications of swapping out the stock wheels for these would be? Impact on range and/or driving experience? Assuming I keep the stock Pirelli tires, or should I also change those?

$3,300 per wheel! A set of 4 is $12k, that's a hefty budget. I was thinking $1,800 for a set.

Where do you live? I live in ATL and I would just call Discount Tire and get recommendations. I am sure tire rack has tires, you can compare with Tesla. As long as there is room in the wheel well you can do 255 or even 265...depending on wheel size. I don't want over 20" to keep range and I like the covers to help with aerodynamics...that's me. I am a big Michelin fan and it would be my go to tire. I have never liked Pirelli tires on any car I have had.

1652727503116.png

This is what I have coming. Signature Wheels. They do a ton of Tesla wheels.

Is this a configurator image? What's the link?

I worked with Jamie at Signature Wheels and he created the image.

Yeah, these Pirellis have the Pirelli Noise Canceling System (PNCS) to reduce road noise. It's just a wad of plastic foam underneath the tread. Makes you wonder why they built these tires. Was the road noise so bad without the foam that they had to install it to make the tires quieter? As soon as my Pirellis wear out I'm switching to Michelins.

I have been looking for aftermarket wheels that are aerodynamic. Found a Swedish manufacturer that has custom wheels for Teslas that claim range improvement of 2-7% They don't have any for lucid, but I am going to monitor them for future developments.

https://www.thenewaero.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

Yeah, these Pirellis have the Pirelli Noise Canceling System (PNCS) to reduce road noise. It's just a wad of plastic foam underneath the tread. Makes you wonder why they built these tires. Was the road noise so bad without the foam that they had to install it to make the tires quieter? As soon as my Pirellis wear out I'm switching to Michelins.
Michelin's EV tires, including the OEM tires on Teslas, also use foam to deaden road noise. I've read that it does make an audible difference.

Last edited:
I think @hmp10 was in contact with the CEO?

The New Aero has confirmed with me that their 21" wheels (which were engineered specifically for the Tesla Model S) do fit the Lucid Air. As the Air's wheel dimensions, bolt spacing, and offsets are the same as Tesla's, I suspected they would.

What I have been unable to find out is how much the Lucid 21" wheels weigh. The New Aero wheels weigh about 35 pounds, which is heavy for a forged wheel, and I'd want to know whether they're adding significant unsprung weight to the Air.

What I have been unable to find out is how much the Lucid 21" wheels weigh. The New Aero wheels weigh about 35 pounds, which is heavy for a forged wheel, and I'd want to know whether they're adding significant unsprung weight to the Air.
These may not be the most stylish, but If unsprung mass is a concern, these may be a good option:

The New Aero has confirmed with me that their 21" wheels (which were engineered specifically for the Tesla Model S) do fit the Lucid Air. As the Air's wheel dimensions, bolt spacing, and offsets are the same as Tesla's, I suspected they would.

What about the 19" wheels? Did they say they too would fit a Lucid Hub?

Back