What size tire should YOU get? size, width, type explained

limtless

Everything you never cared to know about tires on an EV is explained. Watch from the 10:00 mark and answer the question he asks.

I was guessing a ~4% hit in range per inch of the tire size. Based on this video that appears to be the case. If you are getting a Pure or T with an estimated range of 406 miles on 19" All-Season tires we can expect the range to be roughly as follows:

20" tires - 390 miles (diff of 16 miles)
21" tires - 374 miles (diff of 32 miles)

This doesn't include the ride comfort or driving dynamics...but is it worth it to you to pay extra? Do you care about the environment? ;)

If they offered the 21" wheel design in the 19" size, I would take the 19s, but the difference between the two is STAGGERING in this guy's eyes!

I went with 19" primarily because I like the wheels better and also all of the cars that we have had with low profile tires seemed to have a lot more road noise.

Everything you never cared to know about tires on an EV is explained. Watch from the 10:00 mark and answer the question he asks.

I was guessing a ~4% hit in range per inch of the tire size. Based on this video that appears to be the case. If you are getting a Pure or T with an estimated range of 406 miles on 19" All-Season tires we can expect the range to be roughly as follows:

20" tires - 390 miles (diff of 16 miles)
21" tires - 374 miles (diff of 32 miles)

This doesn't include the ride comfort or driving dynamics...but is it worth it to you to pay extra? Do you care about the environment? ;)

Wow, the AMG EQS has 22" wheels! So, not great for range??

The range loss numbers stated due to use of a bigger wheel would be if the tire type (compounds, tread design, ??) remained the same. You can also lose 10% range by just switching from low-rolling-resistance all-season tires (like the Air uses on 19" wheels) to the same exact size of performance-oriented tires (as used on the 20" and 21" wheels).

The range loss numbers stated due to use of a bigger wheel would be if the tire type (compounds, tread design, ??) remained the same. You can also lose 10% range by just switching from low-rolling-resistance all-season tires (like the Air uses on 19" wheels) to the same exact size of performance-oriented tires (as used on the 20" and 21" wheels).
Yes the actual tire itself has a significant impact, not just size. The aerodynamics of the wheel also play a big role. So the most accurate comparison would be to have two wheels of exact same aerodynamics and two tires that are otherwise identical and just vary the wheel size. Not sure if that’s what the video did?

Yes the actual tire itself has a significant impact, not just size. The aerodynamics of the wheel also play a big role. So the most accurate comparison would be to have two wheels of exact same aerodynamics and two tires that are otherwise identical and just vary the wheel size. Not sure if that’s what the video did?
He does explain that. He explains you need a low resistance EV tire to maximize range...math math math.

I am in the cue for my VIN and asked to be on waiting list for other configurations that might be available - my preference is for the 19" for midwest winters, but was willing to take a car with 21"'s and then buy the 19"'s separately. Just got an offer for a car with 21" wheels. I think someone posted the cost for the 19"'s somewhere but couldn't find it, and my DA didn't know (he's researching it). Anyone here know? Thanks!

I am in the cue for my VIN and asked to be on waiting list for other configurations that might be available - my preference is for the 19" for midwest winters, but was willing to take a car with 21"'s and then buy the 19"'s separately. Just got an offer for a car with 21" wheels. I think someone posted the cost for the 19"'s somewhere but couldn't find it, and my DA didn't know (he's researching it). Anyone here know? Thanks!
For a set, 4 wheels & 4 tires from Lucid? I would guess $1k-$1250 as a 20" run $1,500.

It's been a while I think it was around $4k for the 19s and $10k for the 21s.

I'm going to get the 19" because I need all the sidewall I can get with the crappy roads around here. I don't want to deal with bent wheels any more than necessary.
Same here I love the 21s but even my own street is like the lunar surface. And they would not last on the long island expressway

The 21" Pirellis for the Lucid Air were engineered for low rolling resistance. In fact, I'm worried that may be the reason there have been reports of bulges developing on the sidewalls of about 20 of those tires so far. These tires carry a lot of weight and have to hold up under huge torque loads. Keeping their rolling resistance down is tricky business, and I worry that Pirelli might not have gotten the balance between these competing demands quite nailed.

The 21" Pirellis for the Lucid Air were engineered for low rolling resistance. In fact, I'm worried that may be the reason there have been reports of bulges developing on the sidewalls of about 20 of those tires so far.
My service guy said over 50 have been replaced so far. And so far only one 19”.

Back