Wheel size

Ampere

Verified Owner
Cars
Honda Accord Hybrid
Forgive me for a naive question, or perhaps beating a dead horse. It's a fact that the 19-inch wheels provide the greatest range with the Lucid Air. From reading scores of posts on this forum in the past 18 months, it seems the 19-inch tires are the least problematic of the three tire sizes. Thus far, after 5,000 miles, my 19-inch Pirellis have not caused me any problems. Why does it seem the majority of Lucid owners on this forum desire the 20- or 21-inch tires?
Are looks that important? My Touring rides and handles very well with the 19-inch wheels. The aero inserts look great to me. Sure, I'd rather have Michelin tires and when the Pirellis wear out, that's what I'll replace them with.
It's also nice to have all-season tires. My garage is not big enough to store an extra set of wheels for swapping summer/winter, not to mention the cost.

Just preferences I think, plus some prefer summer tires for better traction. I've never been a tire/wheel guy and personally don't understand the nuance of why bigger rims look nicer, as it's not true for me.

Forgive me for a naive question, or perhaps beating a dead horse. It's a fact that the 19-inch wheels provide the greatest range with the Lucid Air. From reading scores of posts on this forum in the past 18 months, it seems the 19-inch tires are the least problematic of the three tire sizes. Thus far, after 5,000 miles, my 19-inch Pirellis have not caused me any problems. Why does it seem the majority of Lucid owners on this forum desire the 20- or 21-inch tires?
Are looks that important? My Touring rides and handles very well with the 19-inch wheels. The aero inserts look great to me. Sure, I'd rather have Michelin tires and when the Pirellis wear out, that's what I'll replace them with.
It's also nice to have all-season tires. My garage is not big enough to store an extra set of wheels for swapping summer/winter, not to mention the cost.
Here in San Diego, there is no need for all season tires. Personally, I like a look of the 21s and the handling of the summer tires better. I extensively test drove both and decided on the 21s.

For me, it's primarily about looks. I *really* don't care for the 19s. They just look too plain for such a fancy car. I always liked the 20s the best, but they were delayed in the first GT batches, so I went with the 21s. I bought a set of the 20s secondhand about 6 weeks ago because I never fully trusted the 21" Pirellis and I've been very happy with them. If an all season 20" EV tire comes out, I'll likely switch to the AS tires from the summers once I need new tires for more peace of mind (it goes below 40 here in the winter at night) and for (presumably) minutely better range.

I got the 19" for range and I like the way the car rides on them. But the wheels are kind of ordinary looking. I like the look of the wheels on the 20s and 21s so much more, especially the Dream ones. When I can find another spare $3K, I might seriously consider getting Forza Dream look-a-like wheels that @4givingGuy ordered.

Performance.

The wheels are in a staggered setup unlike the 19” tires. Handling, braking, and acceleration all improved except for range. We have tested 2 Lucids on the track (19 vs 20) and you can clearly measure the difference in performance.

I have absolutely no issues with my stock 20” tires and we have a lot of potholes where we live!

I broke the 19" all seasons loose three times during a Pure test drive. Since the Pure has a lot less HP than my GT, I am going to stick with the summer tires.

I got into an easy oversteer with the 19 on my GT test drive. And I am not a crazy driver by any stretch. so I will go for 20 summer, but may eventually settle into a good AS too.

Looks was a factor, but as others mentioned, forged aftermarket is very appealing

19s let you throw out the back end even with full traction control. Kind of fun 😁

Back