Hello, and...goodbye?

This was a trip last month to Monterey and back from Santa Rosa. Loaded down with 4 people, 4 sets of clubs, highway driving with massage seats going. Ontop of that, severely underinflated tires (which makes a huge difference as well). This would’ve yielded 481 miles of range in these conditions. My lifetime on 19” now sits at 4.1 with almost 21k miles, I have done 506 miles in a trip with just me before so it can be done. Conditions just need to be favorable 🤷‍♂️, as others have said, if the AGT won’t get it done, no EV will. Good luck!!
Why was I not invited on this golf trip?

This was a trip last month to Monterey and back from Santa Rosa. Loaded down with 4 people, 4 sets of clubs, highway driving with massage seats going. Ontop of that, severely underinflated tires (which makes a huge difference as well). This would’ve yielded 481 miles of range in these conditions. My lifetime on 19” now sits at 4.1 with almost 21k miles, I have done 506 miles in a trip with just me before so it can be done. Conditions just need to be favorable 🤷‍♂️, as others have said, if the AGT won’t get it done, no EV will. Good luck!!
What's your average highway speed and regen setting?

My lifetime on my Pure is 3.6 :( But also a few days ago I noticed my car had consumed 4kwh 'since last charge' before I even took it out! I sometimes forget to turn off my phone's bluetooth so I'm guessing the car turns on here and there.

What's your average highway speed and regen setting?

My lifetime on my Pure is 3.6 :( But also a few days ago I noticed my car had consumed 4kwh 'since last charge' before I even took it out! I sometimes forget to turn off my phone's bluetooth so I'm guessing the car turns on here and there.
I always drive on high regen. My highway speed for this trip was 65-75 for the most part. If you had recently completed a DCFC session and parked your car, that could also explain the 4 kw consumption!

I always drive on high regen. My highway speed for this trip was 65-75 for the most part. If you had recently completed a DCFC session and parked your car, that could also explain the 4 kw consumption!

I usually go 80+ 😅 Today I'll go on slow lane and do 70. I also recently figured out that I don't need my hands on the wheel all the time during Highway Assist. I just need to wiggle the steering wheel occasionally.

I charging it at home. I havent done fast charging in ~8 months since I got my home charger

I usually go 80+ 😅 Today I'll go on slow lane and do 70. I also recently figured out that I don't need my hands on the wheel all the time during Highway Assist. I just need to wiggle the steering wheel occasionally.

I charging it at home. I havent done fast charging in ~8 months since I got my home charger
This is the path to enlightenment. Drive how you want, charge every night at home, forget about range anxiety lol

I haven’t had an issue with EA in so long because I just use it on road trips, and then it works mostly fine. If I were relying on it as my main source of power I think I might lose my mind.

I've posted over three dozen times on lucidowners.com, but I always expected I'd finally post in the New Members Intro after taking delivery.

I didn't buy the car. Awesome car, awesome deal, but....

The tl;dr is that I really liked the car, and I tried pretty hard to rationalize overlooking the problem, but the AGT I drove so under-performed from a range perspective that I couldn't do it.

So now the long version:

With the assistance of the awesome folks in the Plano studio, I was provided with an AGT to take an extended Plano-Wichita Falls-Lubbock-Abilene-Plano test drive. My intention was to evaluate charging infrastructure in addition to the car itself.

I left Plano at 100% SOC with the first destination the EA facility at I-35 and US 380 in Denton. I arrived at the Walmart parking lot at 89 percent. Had I really been thinking about it I might have been concerned with losing 11% in 34 miles, but for the first little bit I was more concerned with figuring out how everything worked.

Since I was already at 89% the car started charging at 60 kW, which seems reasonable. I disconnected at 96% and 32 kW. No complaints whatsoever here.

The distance between charges in Denton and Wichita Falls was 98.5 miles with an elevation change of right at 250 feet. I arrived with a 60% SOC and a usage rate of 2.8 kW/mile. Not good.

The only public level 3 charger in the city, managed by EV Connect, did not cooperate. Fortunately there was free (!) 20 kW charging nearby. The good news is that I didn't have to turn around and go back to DFW. The bad news is that I sat for two hours to recover again to 96 percent.

The Wichita Falls-Lubbock segment involved an elevation change of about 2300 feet. I arrived home at 19%. My best guess is that if I hadn't stopped in Wichita Falls I would have gone dead about 40 miles from home.

This post is already long, and I have more details (including specific numbers) if anybody cares, but the remaining highlights are that the 60 kW EV Connect charger in Lubbock worked fine, the segment from Lubbock to Sweetwater got me 3.1 kW/mile, the EA charger in Sweetwater worked flawlessly, and the segment from Sweetwater to Lubbock was at 3.4 kW/mile. Had I gotten 3.4 on the outbound trip, I'd own an AGT now.

I drove with the cruise almost the entire way from Denton to Lubbock with it set at 3 or 4 mph over the speed limit. The posted speed was 75 for the majority of the trip. It was a 75-degree day, so there shouldn't have been significant energy expended heating or cooling the cabin. The driving mode was set to smooth. Regen was set to normal, but there was very little braking so that was not a big factor.

One significant concern is that, if you believe the car's trip and SOC info, this test car with ~10K miles only had about 103 kW of capacity, which means it had already lost about 8 percent. Again, I have details on how I derived these numbers if anyone cares.

The test car had 21-inch wheels, which meant about a 10 percent range penalty compared to the 19-inch tires on the car I had reserved, but even with smaller tires I would have not quite made the 315-mile trip from Denton to Lubbock without stopping.

I didn't expect anything close to the EPA range rating, but I certainly expected more than 300 miles.

If you're considering telling me I'd have gotten better range at 65 MPH, drive from Lubbock to Wichita Falls at 65 and then get back to me.
Understand completely, we are in Dallas but only plan to use our AGT locally as we have an ice suv we take on road trips to CO,NM,FL etc. the EV charging for road trips is not reliable or plentiful around here yet...EA is great if you can connect on a 350kw fast charger...we don't live in an area like CA where there are tons of chargers to use on road trips. My husband was not even looking at evs but we got the lucid because he loved the car and in our case he only drives max a couple hundred miles a day locally so we can charge at home. Wish more companies were making hybrids as I think they are a nice in-between step before going full EV.

I am interested in how you calculated the capacity, but according to what I have read, the AGT has a usable capacity of 106 kWh. Your calculation of 103 kWh is pretty much within the margin of error, IMO. If your calculation is accurate, that would be a SoH of 97%.
Here is a reasonable method to calculate your battery health. Charge your car to 90% which will be your stating SOC and will also reset the kWhr used since last charge. Drive down to 15% to 20% SOC and record the ending SOC and ending kWhr used. Here is an example that I did on my car:

Started 90% SOC and drove to 18% SOC so I used 72% of my battery. If the battery was new I would have used 72% * 112 kWhr or 80.6 kWhr (battery size for GT).​
The Since last Charge on the trip page shows 72kWhr used since charging. My battery health is 72/80.6 or 89%. My battery has degraded 11% in the 20 months that I have owned the car and driven 13k miles.​

Here is a reasonable method to calculate your battery health. Charge your car to 90% which will be your stating SOC and will also reset the kWhr used since last charge. Drive down to 15% to 20% SOC and record the ending SOC and ending kWhr used. Here is an example that I did on my car:

Started 90% SOC and drove to 18% SOC so I used 72% of my battery. If the battery was new I would have used 72% * 112 kWhr or 80.6 kWhr (battery size for GT).​
The Since last Charge on the trip page shows 72kWhr used since charging. My battery health is 72/80.6 or 89%. My battery has degraded 11% in the 20 months that I have owned the car and driven 13k miles.​
That does not seem correct. You should not degrade the battery 11% in 13k miles. Can someone help @Adnillien with this calculation?

One thing that I think is incorrect is using 112 kWh instead of 106 kWh to do the calculation. 100% should be 106 kWh if the battery is at 100% SoH.

Also, from what I have read, the BMS is estimating the SoC and it is not perfectly linear from 90% to 18%. The best way to figure out the SoH is to run it from 100% to 0% and then charge it to see how much the EVSE adds to the battery (less 10% loss).

Charging network is only gonna get better in the future. 👍

I haven’t had an issue with EA in so long because I just use it on road trips, and then it works mostly fine. If I were relying on it as my main source of power I think I might lose my mind.

Our first year in which we did a couple of long road trips Electrify America was something of a nightmare (for us and other customers at neighboring stalls). After a long road trip hiatus, we took the Air on a 1,200-mile round trip along the same routes last month, this time having no issues at all with EA. Not only were all the stations working, we were surprised by how quickly the car was charging. On our return trip, we actually bypassed chargers we had planned to use because the car had plenty of range to go one stop further, and we wanted to familiarize ourselves with EA stations we had not yet visited.

One thing that I think is incorrect is using 112 kWh instead of 106 kWh to do the calculation. 100% should be 106 kWh if the battery is at 100% SoH.

Also, from what I have read, the BMS is estimating the SoC and it is not perfectly linear from 90% to 18%. The best way to figure out the SoH is to run it from 100% to 0% and then charge it to see how much the EVSE adds to the battery (less 10% loss).
I do not understand where you are getting 106kWhr capacity from. Everything that I have seen form Lucid say 112kWhr. I completely agree that 100% to 0% would be more accurate but that is not good for the battery so I would not recommend doing it.

EVSE charging losses are closer to 15% at least according to the EPA filings.

I do not understand where you are getting 106kWhr capacity from. Everything that I have seen form Lucid say 112kWhr. I completely agree that 100% to 0% would be more accurate but that is not good for the battery so I would not recommend doing it.

Maybe the usable capacity? I have not been able to find that anywhere, however.

Maybe the usable capacity? I have not been able to find that anywhere, however.

According to an interview a while back by a Lucid engineer, the 118-kWh pack does not have any upper buffer because the Samsung batteries were engineered to take the stress of full charging better. I suspect -- but definitely do not know -- that the difference between the 112-kWh and the 118-kWh packs is the use of an upper buffer with the LG Chem batteries.

regarding the battery references, your old post has the deets:
Thread 'Battery Capacity Comparison'
https://lucidowners.com/threads/battery-capacity-comparison.199/

One significant concern is that, if you believe the car's trip and SOC info, this test car with ~10K miles only had about 103 kW of capacity, which means it had already lost about 8 percent. Again, I have details on how I derived these numbers if anyone cares.

The test car had 21-inch wheels, which meant about a 10 percent range penalty compared to the 19-inch tires on the car I had reserved, but even with smaller tires I would have not quite made the 315-mile trip from Denton to Lubbock without stopping.

I didn't expect anything close to the EPA range rating, but I certainly expected more than 300 miles.

I did same route you did. About 300 miles, had to DCFC at Sweetwater.

Lucid may say and programmed 21” loses 10% efficient to 19”, I personally feel it’s more like 17%. Regardless of efficiency loss, I still take 21” as I like planted weight when I go fast on concrete road.

So if you order 19”, you can effectively get 350 miles, and if you drive 55~60 mph, you can get 420~440 mph.

Btw, Dallas studio was very generous to let you take an AGT 21” for this road trip.

Our first year in which we did a couple of long road trips Electrify America was something of a nightmare (for us and other customers at neighboring stalls). After a long road trip hiatus, we took the Air on a 1,200-mile round trip along the same routes last month, this time having no issues at all with EA. Not only were all the stations working, we were surprised by how quickly the car was charging. On our return trip, we actually bypassed chargers we had planned to use because the car had plenty of range to go one stop further, and we wanted to familiarize ourselves with EA stations we had not yet visited.

My first 3 months was almost strictly EA charging. Lots of trouble back then. Bricked stall, Tesla parked at EA spot intentionally blocking, 1~2 out of 4 dispenser always dead, handshake issues.

I waited so long for Lucid EVSE, I gave up waiting and went with 50amp WallBox, since then I have not charge at DCFC unless it’s road trip.

2023, EA has been good experience for me unlike 2022 summer. But when I watched Out Of Specs videos, they kept bashing EA, my case with EA is just so different with them in Texas. And even with recent round trip to Vegas, I had all good EA, except Kingman, AZ station derated.

Maybe the site inserted below is incorrect, but it makes sense that the 112 kWh pack would have a usable capacity that is less than that. Or maybe they let you use all of the battery but put a buffer at the bottom so that at 0% SoCD you still have 6 kWh remaining, to reduce the chance you will be stranded when running the battery low? Most BEVs batteries have a total capacity and a usable capacity - to increase battery life.

Back