What ICE would you get if EVs never happened?

noobzilla

In an alternate universe where pure EVs don't exist but gas is just as expensive, what car would you have bought? Can lower your budget too as I'm assuming many people won't be as willing to spend more if it was just another ICE.

I haven't really checked luxury ICE but I was considering Rav4 Prime.

I would have bought a new Porsche macan S or GTS for under 100k. Similar to a touring.

I have a feeling the Mercedes S class is going to be a popular option.

Honda Odyssey x2 because that's exactly what I had!

I absolutely love my BMW M5 and would buy another in a heartbeat if my wife did not think it was too loud. Along those same lines, I would consider the M8 as well. I have not gotten better service anywhere else and I have dealt with BMW dealerships in Atlanta, Las Vegas and Charlotte. I have also dealt with Mercedes, Infiniti, Porsche, Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo, Mini and a couple others.

Polestar tuned V90. I love stealthy fast long roofs and the Swedish aesthetic. Doesn’t hurt that they have some of the best seats in the industry too.

I own an old 2005 Lexus LS430 and I believe that is the best Car Toyota ever made. Comfortabl, Fast enough and built like a tank. Excellent quality and Lexus Service. Yeah the Audi A8 is exciting, now if I had the money it would be the Bugatti Veyron and a Bentley and a G-Wagon and for good measure a Rangerover. Rightnow I just have to make do with a Infiniti QX-80. IT IS OK if you are driver and Passenger but the rear seat room sucks and for a large SUV, It hardly has much cargo space. I could fit a house in my Suburbans that I had owned before that.

I honestly don't know what I'd buy at this point. Probably another Audi. Assuming 4-door sedan, maybe an S4? Or an S7?

Never been a fan of Mercedes or BMW. Wonderful cars, just not my taste. And their newest models are fairly ugly to me.

Throwing practicality out the window, I'd probably go for a Porsche Cayman?

I'm so unimpressed with the state of design in the mainstream auto industry at this point. I thought Tesla's innovations would push the rest of the industry more than it has, to be honest. But even they are sitting on 10-year-old designs at this point, and just changing software for the most part.

The MB300’s from 1985 ish were the best looking Cars for me personally. Also loved that single windshield Viper.
I also liked the CLS Class of the 2000’s with the sloping design as long as they had a spoiler.
The 911’s are good looking for me but I can’t do stick shift.
The design these days is to make them look sporty or blend in with SUV’s.
Did you see the new BMW EV ugly as sin.
The new Lexus’ even Toyota and Infiniti. What’s with those Ugly Snouts and Grills and extended hoods where you cannot see the road in front of you.

The MB300’s from 1985 ish were the best looking Cars for me personally. Also loved that single windshield Viper.
I also liked the CLS Class of the 2000’s with the sloping design as long as they had a spoiler.
The 911’s are good looking for me but I can’t do stick shift.
The design these days is to make them look sporty or blend in with SUV’s.
Did you see the new BMW EV ugly as sin.
The new Lexus’ even Toyota and Infiniti. What’s with those Ugly Snouts and Grills and extended hoods where you cannot see the road in front of you.
Don't get me started on the American obsession with SUVs. I'll never understand it. Then again, I don't have kids. But my mom and dad fit four of us kids in the back of a Honda Civic, so I have a hard time believing the back of an Air would be a bad place for kids to sit.

I can't tell you how happy I was to learn that Lucid would be doing a sedan first. That's what originally caught my attention about them.

The majority of mainstream automakers are doing SUVs exclusively as their first entries into EVs in the States. VW brought over the iD.4 but not the ID.3. Audi's E-trons are all essentially SUVs. It's maddening.

And yeah. Those grills. Those ugly, ugly grills. Cars used to be sleek and elegant. Now they are all hyper-aggressive testosterone machines for overcompensating insecure men.

Don't get me started on the American obsession with SUVs. I'll never understand it. Then again, I don't have kids. But my mom and dad fit four of us kids in the back of a Honda Civic, so I have a hard time believing the back of an Air would be a bad place for kids to sit.

I can't tell you how happy I was to learn that Lucid would be doing a sedan first. That's what originally caught my attention about them.

The majority of mainstream automakers are doing SUVs exclusively as their first entries into EVs in the States. VW brought over the iD.4 but not the ID.3. Audi's E-trons are all essentially SUVs. It's maddening.

And yeah. Those grills. Those ugly, ugly grills. Cars used to be sleek and elegant. Now they are all hyper-aggressive testosterone machines for overcompensating insecure men.
That cracked me up. I recall driving from Dallas to New Jersey in our Mazda Protege back in 1995. We have come a long way baby.
They can charge more for the SUV and I suspect the EPA is a bit lax on the mileage for them.
In my old age it helps my driving if I sit higher up.
It just may be from driving a Suburban since 1996. I definitely hate driving a Car at night and driving period, at night.

I always wanted a SL and am on my third Sl550. Top down driving is the best and with the Renntech chip I am running 540 HP. A dream car for me.

Attachments

• AFCE5BED-58A8-4F2D-8AD1-FB6D3424A767.jpeg
    AFCE5BED-58A8-4F2D-8AD1-FB6D3424A767.jpeg
    833.7 KB · Views: 83
My wife's SUV does a much better job towing the pair of Jetskis or the Supra Wakeboard Boat or transporting the pair of 70+lb dogs without worrying about the back seat than any Sedan can. They have their places and uses. She also likes driving higher up, usually. She also loves my 18yr old son's Volvo V60.

I always wanted a SL and am on my third Sl550. Top down driving is the best and with the Renntech chip I am running 540 HP. A dream car for me.
Those are nice cars and better looking that their old counterparts. I used to drive a SL560 back in 1990-1991 and I could never get used to its shape.

Yes I love SUV’s but hate their Gas Mileage. There are so many choices and preferences when it comes to ICE. Then having been around a lot and us fickle humans wanting a million choices.

Like what is a Green/Purple/Yellow Ketchup 😂😂😂

My wife's SUV does a much better job towing the pair of Jetskis or the Supra Wakeboard Boat or transporting the pair of 70+lb dogs without worrying about the back seat than any Sedan can. They have their places and uses. She also likes driving higher up, usually. She also loves my 18yr old son's Volvo V60.
I totally agree SUVs have their place. But where I've lived, mostly in large cities, they make far less sense. Harder to find parking. Worse mileage. Not a whole lot more interior space. And yet, they are just as popular there.

Back