Charging karma

CraZ8

Verified Owner
Cars
2018 velar 2002 bmw z8
Funny story from the charging trenches. Wifey and I went to the garden state mall today and it was crowded. The economy must be coming back. As I’m pulling down the aisle to the chargers I see a woman get out of an suv at one of the electrify America stalls. She exits stage right but doesn’t plug in. I wasn’t quite close enough to realize what I was seeing until she disappeared into the lot so I didn’t have a chance to yell at her. She was diving an ICE not a hybrid and just didn’t want to look for a parking spot as it was busy.
Fortunately there was one stall still open for me( but the next EV would obviously have to wait) I moved my car after 40 minutes and she was gone but there were three EV drivers there discussing something. I inquired if they were talking about the woman in the ice and one of them laughed and related this story.
Apparently there were people waiting for a stall just after me so one of the guys in a little blue EV pulled out and then parked in front of the ICE in the stall and just waited for the woman. When she came out he informed her she wouldn’t be leaving until he considered it appropriate. He then blocked her for 15 minutes then drove away. I just missed that final chapter but it will be a while if ever before she parks in a charging station again. Karma is a bitch LOL

I have yet to see someone block a charging station. Mostly, I suspect it to be an issue of being in the most inconvenient places plus ample parking.

On the other hand, I've seen cars who cannot charge above 150kwhr blocking 350 stalls... I've been tempted to carry sticky notes and a pen to slap a strongly worded message on their window. Blocking those douchebags seems like a far better idea.

Charging fees and methodologies need to be put in place based on the available chargers, max charging speed of vehicle at current state of charge, and dynamic idle fees (charged only when no open stalls are available).

I have yet to see someone block a charging station. Mostly, I suspect it to be an issue of being in the most inconvenient places plus ample parking.

On the other hand, I've seen cars who cannot charge above 150kwhr blocking 350 stalls... I've been tempted to carry sticky notes and a pen to slap a strongly worded message on their window. Blocking those douchebags seems like a far better idea.

Charging fees and methodologies need to be put in place based on the available chargers, max charging speed of vehicle at current state of charge, and dynamic idle fees (charged only when no open stalls are available).
While I’ve seen slow charging cars at 350kw, it’s possible they pulled up when the 150kw were taken, or not working at all. I don’t mind plugging into 150kw anyway if it’s EA since they’ve been more reliable for me, and sometimes faster overall for a lengthy charge session.

See attached from the EA station in Indio. All stations were functional. She blocked station 3 while using the cable from station 2. I’m in station 1. The lady was inside Wallyworld (Walmart). Waiting BMW was pissed

Attachments

• IMG_9006.jpeg
    IMG_9006.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 94
I wish I would have taken the picture of our one road trip. Two stations setup like a drive thru. A Lucid had to more or less block both stations because the cables were really, really short.

Then you had two stations like the above photo with really, really short cables. We had park at a 30-45° angle with the bumper nearly touching a pole put in front.

Next thing you know. A F150 Lightning rolls up. The truck is absolutely massive. We had work together with me unhooking the cable and signaling to gauge distance for him to block nearly three spaces horizontally of regular parking at a weird angle. There was no other way to do it. We must have looked like an odd group of electric car owners jigsawing the cars into position.

I was not ready to play Tetris that day, but we played it. The F150 and our Lucid thankfully finished around the same time because he had to leave so that we could get out without doing a dozen point turns to crab sideways out of the spot. F150 owner was local and suggested a nearby restaurant for lunch, so we walked there and back as a group.

Back