What happened to the Saudi and lucid.....weird

then why partner with BMW to use their technology and not license lucid something is a miss here not enhancing their investment something is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then why partner with BMW to use their technology and not license lucid something is a miss here not enhancing their investment something is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saudi Arabia is interested in diversifying its economy across many sectors. They were early, heavy stakeholders in Tesla and other EV ventures and only turned to Lucid when they realized what a hot mess dealing with Elon Musk could be.

Yes, they have a dominant stake in Lucid. But it is still an American company within reach of U.S. jurisdiction on many fronts. Given the deteriorating state of relations between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia, I could see why they would want more irons in the EV fire than just their stake in Lucid. My experience with German business practices over the years -- and the German government's tolerance of them -- tells me that BMW could be a far less troublesome partner for them in some aspects.

(This is by no means signaling my support for Saudi Arabia's foreign or domestic policies. It is simply my analysis of what's known of this new partnership based on 30 years of working in international businesses.)

Well thank you for your viewpoint I think you're probably correct in some aspects but as far as lucid is concerned this could be highly detrimental in my opinion lucid motors probably has a licensing base more so than a car company and why they wouldn't expand the technology base and utilize it and move to BMW kind of gives me the opinion that they don't feel that Lucids manufacturing is stable enough to support any form of new ventures especially in the lower price tiers just my thoughts and the introduction of foxconn is extremely interesting their ability to manufacture and mass produce is not only well known but quite frankly one of the best in the world anyway we'll have to see I still love the car I hope it doesn't become a paperweight....

I read it as diversification. They don't need to license Lucid tech as they already own it. With Lucid building manufacturing facilities in Saudi Arabia, they push ahead on that front.

Meanwhile, this is an opportunity to partner with one of the top manufacturing companies in the world in Foxconn and bring them to SA. As well as working with BMW.

PE firms regularly invest in multiple, competitive companies. I wouldn't read this negatively with regard to Lucid at all. On the positive side, it shows SA is deeply committed to EV and Lucid isn't just some side bet.

Well thank you for your viewpoint I think you're probably correct in some aspects but as far as lucid is concerned this could be highly detrimental in my opinion . . . .

Saudi Arabia's aspirations have moved well beyond oil dominance. They want to be a geo-political player in other regards, especially with MBS now pulling the reins. In terms of getting an automotive foothold in the Middle East, the best strategy would not to be have your entire play based on an American company -- both for marketing optics in the region and for legal reasons.

Saudi Arabia also wants to be more of a player on the European economic stage. The "American brand" has eroded significantly in Europe in recent years, and if Republicans again take the upper hand in foreign policy, our anti-Western tilt will re-assert itself . . . and there will be consequences for American multi-nationals.

For financial reasons, I'm sure Saudi Arabia would like to see some lucrative Lucid technology deals take off. But they may be realizing that the EV industry has taken a different turn, with most companies pinning their bets on more in-house technology. There was widespread expectation that Ford, after its huge investment in Rivian, would leverage Rivian technology for the Ford EV line-up. That did not materialize. Thus far, Rivian has had no takers for their platform design. Jaguar, long expected to be an obvious buyer of Lucid technology, has chosen to take its own faltering path. The Japanese still seem to be nursing hopes for hydrogen fuel cells to be the future, and the Chinese and Koreans -- for both economic and political reasons -- are not looking elsewhere for EV technology. GM, Mercedes, BMW, and the VW Group have all decided to go the route of integrating disparate components from multiple suppliers. The efficiency appeal of Lucid's technology is based on a fully-integrated system where each component is optimized to work with each other component, meaning that Lucid's real technology sell is an "all or nothing" play. A Lucid battery pack without a Lucid motor without a Lucid inverter without a Lucid Wunderbox just doesn't deliver the efficiency punch that would make licensing the technology that appealing. And no EV maker seems to want to put that much of its powertrain platform into the hands of one supplier.

Well thank you for your viewpoint I think you're probably correct in some aspects but as far as lucid is concerned this could be highly detrimental in my opinion lucid motors probably has a licensing base more so than a car company and why they wouldn't expand the technology base and utilize it and move to BMW kind of gives me the opinion that they don't feel that Lucids manufacturing is stable enough to support any form of new ventures especially in the lower price tiers just my thoughts and the introduction of foxconn is extremely interesting their ability to manufacture and mass produce is not only well known but quite frankly one of the best in the world anyway we'll have to see I still love the car I hope it doesn't become a paperweight....
I wouldn’t bank on Lucid licensing its platform to anyone soon. Tesla offered the supercharger network and port if companies paid the royalty and no one took them up on it. Ford basIcally pulled everything back from Rivian to do it all in house again. It seems if a competitor has something better you don’t support it by any means as they would rather see them fail.

Lucid has an impressive platform but I don’t expect anyone to be licensing it. Lucid would be be better off to acquire a struggling ICE company and push its EV platform out to the market that way.

I wouldn’t bank on Lucid licensing its platform to anyone soon. Tesla offered the supercharger network and port if companies paid the royalty and no one took them up on it. Ford basIcally pulled everything back from Rivian to do it all in house again. It seems if a competitor has something better you don’t support it by any means as they would rather see them fail.

Lucid has an impressive platform but I don’t expect anyone to be licensing it. Lucid would be be better off to acquire a struggling ICE company and push its EV platform out to the market that way.
It's my understanding that they worked a relationship out or they're working a relationship out with Aston Martin I don't know how real that is 😂😂😂😂 again we're all outsiders just reading what the publicists want us to read and making assumptions like the car it's going to be an interesting experience to say the least

If you've ever been to Saudi Arabia and parked in a lot amidst the sea of white cars wondering how the heck people are ever able to find their own car again, you'd realize diversity in EVs is not just a good thing but a necessity. :)

Variety is good, competition breeds winners for consumers. Foxconn is a Taiwan company, they wanted to get into to EV business, but Taiwan has export issue with risk of China’s territorial invasion and their diplomatic pressure in foreign export relation hindered by China.

Like Lucid, PIF is willing to help whoever has frontier technology. Foxconn has massive chips production capability can bring great economic addition to Saudi Arabia.

FYI, Taiwan is 5th richest country in national reserve right behind S.A. who is #4.

Or, the simpler and less histrionic answer is BMW motors are cheaper, and this is s cost-savvy brand rather than a luxury or sports brand. Lucid motors may just be too expensive for the cars Saudi wants to build in-house.

The Saudi wealth fund has assets somewhere around $770 billion which has investments in many competing companies, nothing is wrong.

Back