What are you replacing your 21" Pirelli tires with?

+1 to Pirelli tire bulge problem after 4000 miles/6500 km. Front passenger side, $700 CAD / $500 USD to replace by Lucid. Ouch. I didn't even know the bulge was there, Lucid spotted it while in for the recall.

20k+ miles. One blowout at around 18k on the OEM tires. Noticed bubble probably around 10k, may have been present sooner.

Switched entire set to non-approved out of spec Michelin PS4 with the lower load rating. Living on borrowed time 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Has anyone considered going to a slightly wider tread? Michelin has a decent range of Pilot Sports in 255/35ZR21 98 XL and 275/35ZR21 103 XL sizes. I think those are used on the Model X.

Has anyone considered going to a slightly wider tread? Michelin has a decent range of Pilot Sports in 255/35ZR21 98 XL and 275/35ZR21 103 XL sizes. I think those are used on the Model X.
Asked a bunch of ‘car guys’, tire technicians, and lucid mobile techs, but never really got a perfect answer to this question so I’m curious as well!

Asked a bunch of ‘car guys’, tire technicians, and lucid mobile techs, but never really got a perfect answer to this question so I’m curious as well!
The circumference would increase ~1%, which in my case would correct some of the small speedometer error I have. There also would be a very small increase in the rolling resistance, but I suspect the rubber compound and tire construction would have similar effects in magnitude. Other than that...?

Bought the warranty just in case.
With the tire blowout on high speeds (and not high speeds only), one ends up hitting parallel passing car, or ending up in the ditch. So, I'm not referring to the tire warranty, rather a good life insurance policy (hoping, of course, you would never use it). Driving on Michelins for over 30 years i never encountered side wall bubble, or a cut tire.
Pirellis on the other hand, from what I'm reading on forums, tend to have a weak spot in that regard.

With the tire blowout on high speeds (and not high speeds only), one ends up hitting parallel passing car, or ending up in the ditch. So, I'm not referring to the tire warranty, rather a good life insurance policy (hoping, of course, you would never use it). Driving on Michelins for over 30 years i never encountered side wall bubble, or a cut tire.
Pirellis on the other hand, from what I'm reading on forums, tend to have a weak spot in that regard.
All good points.

Replaced my 21s with 19s. Did not want to take any chances with the 21s.

Hope they give me a better range.

Attachments

• 20230519_122733.jpg
    20230519_122733.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 134
  • 20230519_122705.jpg
    20230519_122705.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 20230519_122652.jpg
    20230519_122652.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 124
Replaced my 21s with 19s. Did not want to take any chances with the 21s.

Hope they give me a better range.
Where did you get these wheels? Can you point me in the right direction? Those don’t look like the OEM 19s?

Tpms still work? Any concerns with voiding warranty?
The PSI shows up, but the car needs to be calibrated by mobile tech for 19s now. And therefore range will increase - hopefully.

Warranty? For the wheels+tires? If so, its now on Discount Tire to honor that. Its not on Lucid going fwd.

Got my road hazard warranty today on the OEM 21 Pirelli tires through America's Tires in Orange CA - was thrilled with the price of $256 for all four tires! Why on earth Lucid doesn't just offer this is beyond me - $150K on a car - they should throw in the warranty at under $300 per car - seriously!

Got my road hazard warranty today on the OEM 21 Pirelli tires through America's Tires in Orange CA - was thrilled with the price of $256 for all four tires! Why on earth Lucid doesn't just offer this is beyond me - $150K on a car - they should throw in the warranty at under $300 per car - seriously!
Because Lucid is not a tire company.

But all it would take is an agreement with Pirelli...just like America's Tire has, we aren't talking about anything difficult. It's called good customer service and backing up the product you are selling. They could even offer it as an extra cost at the time of sale if $250-300 is just too steep for Lucid to cover. A tire road hazard coverage plan is offered at Toyota to customers at time of purchase, along with coatings and interior protection plans. I think it would have been nice if this would have been mentioned by Lucid as I tried to get some kind of courtesy replacement or discount on my blow out at day 3. "I am so sorry this happened. I might recommend you look into the road hazard coverage offered by America's Tire for next time". I would have gone out that day and gotten it! Thanks to the threads here on this site I found out about it. And we just got a second Lucid in our neighborhood so I will be personally stopping by their house and telling them about it.

And despite Lucid not being a tire company, it was them who replaced our tire on day 3, so they obviously have tires and the ability to replace them. America's Tire even said if I couldn't get a tire from America's Tire (like out of stock) but I can get one at Lucid, to get it at Lucid and save my receipt, and America's Tire will reimburse me - now that is good customer service!

Not sure I buy that. When I bought my BMW, I was offered a separate wheel warranty as well as a separate tire warranty separate from the purchase of the car. Now, maybe that was more of a local dealer thing than a brand thing, but they did not offer it to lose money and the warranty was not with a local store or anything, but rather a notional warranty company.

Not sure I buy that. When I bought my BMW, I was offered a separate wheel warranty as well as a separate tire warranty separate from the purchase of the car. Now, maybe that was more of a local dealer thing than a brand thing, but they did not offer it to lose money and the warranty was not with a local store or anything, but rather a notional warranty company.
Yea, I'm sure Lucid might get there eventually, but at this point in time, I don't agree it should be something that they need to complicate their already strained service ability. I believe though that the vast majority of car buyers use 3rd party tire services like Tire Rack for those services instead of the dealer network, who have a service as a bonus, but warranty work is another issue entirely.

But all it would take is an agreement with Pirelli...just like America's Tire has, we aren't talking about anything difficult.
Fact check: America's Tire, which also is the same company as Tire Rack and Discount Tire, does not have any sort of agreement with Pirelli. What you were purchasing is an insurance policy from them. It has nothing to do with any tire company.

Back