Warning: Eye strain, Split vision, and headache for tall drivers

As you know the EZPASS transponder must be placed on the passenger lower side of the windshield to be read. This is due to the costings built into the windshield which serve a variety of safety and operational functions.

I just registered for Minnesota's EZ Pass system because they give new EV buyers a $250 credit. I hadn't heard of this issue. Does it affect all EZPASS systems (not sure how many varieties there are). I was told it has to be in the top left or it would not receive a signal. I don't even want to see the ugly thing in my view.

Also, just wanted to chime in that at 6'3", I also have this issue. Look forward to seeing what Lucid has for an answer.

Also, just wanted to chime in that at 6'3", I also have this issue. Look forward to seeing what Lucid has for an answer.
Unfortunately, there's no answer from Lucid.

The glasses linked earlier in this thread fix the problem though. So I plan on going to a tint shop and seeing if we can test some products out in hopes that they exhibit similar properties.

I just registered for Minnesota's EZ Pass system because they give new EV buyers a $250 credit. I hadn't heard of this issue. Does it affect all EZPASS systems (not sure how many varieties there are). I was told it has to be in the top left or it would not receive a signal. I don't even want to see the ugly thing in my view.

This has not been true since the earliest DE cars. I’ve had my windshield replaced since and can place the Fastrak / EZPass anywhere.

This has not been true since the earliest DE cars. I’ve had my windshield replaced since and can place the Fastrak / EZPass anywhere.
Thx for the info. By the way, when you replaced the windshield, was it done under insurance/warranty? What was the cost for that. I can't imagine insurance companies fully realize the cost that will come with a windshield replacement on this vehicle. (my insurance only increased $40/month from my 2012 Kia Optima)

Thx for the info. By the way, when you replaced the windshield, was it done under insurance/warranty? What was the cost for that. I can't imagine insurance companies fully realize the cost that will come with a windshield replacement on this vehicle. (my insurance only increased $40/month from my 2012 Kia Optima)
It was a goodwill replacement because the little passenger side window made the adjustable fastrak (since you have to adjust occupancy) basically unusable since I couldn’t reach it.

Don’t remember the cost but others have mentioned it before - it was between 1k and 2k.

Polarized glasses definitely eliminate the issue. Their utility in this specific case is very limited as you pointed out.
Hmmm I will need to try these out. I'm 6.1 and have the same problem. My wife is 5.9 and sees the same from the passenger side, although her seat may be higher than mine.
My wives prescription lens are polarized so that didn't work for her, I will try adding that option to mine to see if it works for me.

Adding to the pool of info here. I recently rode in a Model Y and it has a very similar blurred lights effect.

On that car the effect is consistent across the entire windshield. It's less than the Lucid but still noticeable.

Pretty sure they use the same glass supplier.

Has anyone had windscreens replaced for the double vision? And did that fix it?

Recently, I had my windshield replaced and the double vision got worse unfortunately
This remains my biggest issue with the car. But I still can't think of anything else I could replace it with.

I really wish they could fix this somehow.

This remains my biggest issue with the car. But I still can't think of anything else I could replace it with.

Did you try the polarized lens mentioned somewhere in this thread. I'm due for glasses soon and will try it. - I will put out a comment if it helps

Did you try the polarized lens mentioned somewhere in this thread. I'm due for glasses soon and will try it. - I will put out a comment if it helps
Yeah those polarized glasses totally work. But I hate wearing them (don't wear glasses).

I have them in the car in case the split vision starts causing a headache.

On the same boat, if they can fix this issue. I'm happy to keep my Air GT for the next 10 years.

I don't know if my windshield just doesn't have issues, but my husband is 6' 2", and has never had a problem with this.

I'm 6'2 and just went on a road trip from MN to SD. Over 1600 miles and even in the daytime I battled with the double vision unless I sunk down to the steering wheel level. Maybe I should have bought some polarized driving glasses for the trip.

I really hope that this gets addressed by Lucid

I don't know if my windshield just doesn't have issues, but my husband is 6' 2", and has never had a problem with this.
They all have the issue. It's good he's not seeing it. Keep it that way :)

I think once you see it, you can't unsee it and it just drives you mad.

I'm 6'2 and just went on a road trip from MN to SD. Over 1600 miles and even in the daytime I battled with the double vision unless I sunk down to the steering wheel level. Maybe I should have bought some polarized driving glasses for the trip.

I really hope that this gets addressed by Lucid
I'm only 5'11 and lower the seat all the way down, the distortion only happens on my eye level. It disappears in the tinted area and steering wheel level.

I wish I have my original windshield, the new one has a different curvature and creates concave around sunshade and big gaps between A pillars and the windshield.

Back