Vampire drain

In normal temperatures, I lose a couple miles a day. When it was below zero I lost 10 to 15 miles in about eight hours. Seems totally temperature dependent.
But most inside garages, even unheated, won’t be anywhere near 0. We had a low of 1 degree last night and my unheated garage was still in the low 50s. So Mark’s 8-10 miles still seems excessive to me. It would be interesting if Mark could get a temperature reading in his garage.

But most inside garages, even unheated, won’t be anywhere near 0. We had a low of 1 degree last night and my unheated garage was still in the low 50s. So Mark’s 8-10 miles still seems excessive to me. It would be interesting if Mark could get a temperature reading in his garage.
Good point. I will say that one night my detached garage did get down to about 0 (from the reading on my app ), on the night it hit 30 below zero. I had the car plugged in the entire night. It was the next day when I parked outside , at work , that I lost that amount of range from phantom drain. In general my experience with phantom drain has been quite favorable.

I’m going to start to track this better to see how much I lose each night. I’ll record the exterior temperatures as well.

My garage is directly attached to the house but not insulated. There is no conditioned space above or below it. As it was about 50 degrees outside today, I decided to wash the car. All of my car wash soaps, Armor-all, was frozen. So I think we’re dealing with a very different situations. @Lucken I am guessing you have insulated walls and your garage has conditioned space above it?

I’m going to start to track this better to see how much I lose each night. I’ll record the exterior temperatures as well.

My garage is directly attached to the house but not insulated. There is no conditioned space above or below it. As it was about 50 degrees outside today, I decided to wash the car. All of my car wash soaps, Armor-all, was frozen. So I think we’re dealing with a very different situations. @Lucken I am guessing you have insulated walls and your garage has conditioned space above it?
Try not waking up the car too often. Keep the app closed.

Mark, yes, my garage walls are insulated and there is conditioned space above.

Date / TimeMilesExterior Temp (Car Reported)Number of app checks or wake ups in between readings
2/5 11:12 PM22739 Degrees0
2/6 7:12 AM21635 Degrees0

Last edited:
Date / TimeMilesExterior Temp (Car Reported)Number of app checks or wake ups in between readings
2/5 11:12 PM22739 Degrees0
2/6 7:12 AM21635 Degrees0
This rate of discharge is roughly consistent with my experience. App reported 79% -> 76% over 24 h parked in temps ranging from high 30s to mid 40s, but I did several app checks.

Here are the results from my test last week:

Here are the results from my test last week:

I took a look at your other thread. Interesting that the mile per Kw number takes into account your vampire drain. Thanks for posting

I find the phantom/vampire drain on the Lucid extremely high. Doesn't make any sense why the car would lose double digit range in 24-36H. My car sits in a garage, it's not ventilated, but insulated and I live in CO. But I am losing about 15 miles in 36H with ambient temperate of the garage at 40F during cold nights and 60F else wise. I think the Battery management system of Lucid is quite poor because no car should lose that much range in an insulated garage. I have a BMW iX in the same garage and it lost 1 mile of range in 72H. That's a big big difference between the two. Even when I owned a Tesla, in similar conditions, I might be losing 1-2 miles a night.

I would like to know what Lucid is doing so different that's keeping the car to use the battery so much even when it's just parked. Is this because it lacks a heat pump?

I did not wake up the car using any app, the key fob is at a distance as well.

They mostly sorted out the vampire drain a few updates ago, maybe other CO residents can chime in? @nevadagame and @joec ??

They mostly sorted out the vampire drain a few updates ago, maybe other CO residents can chime in? @nevadagame and @joec ??
My car is parked in a fairly warm garage and plugged in overnight, so I guess I just don't care? I start every day at 80%.

Also, I set my display to percentage, not miles. Because mileage estimates are nonsense. What looks like a "loss of 12 miles" might in reality be nothing. The car is taking a wild guess as to how far it might go. That number has no basis in reality.

It's certainly not going to matter unless you are doing a roadtrip that requires you to drive all the way down to 2% or 0. So why fret about it?

When I was up in Breckenridge a few weeks ago, I parked in a garage that was not heated, with the door open much of the day, for three days. It was below zero most of the time. I lost maybe 2 percent of my battery in that three days. And I was sleeping over the garage with my fob and phone sitting within 15 feet or so of the car, so I'm sure it was waking up from time to time.

I have no idea how many "miles" those few percentage points is, but it seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Certainly didn't effect my ability to get home with almost 50% charge left.

I'm sure there are ways Lucid can improve drain even further. But I'd consider it a pretty low priority compared to other issues they are having.

My car is parked in a fairly warm garage and plugged in overnight, so I guess I just don't care? I start every day at 80%.

Also, I set my display to percentage, not miles. Because mileage estimates are nonsense. What looks like a "loss of 12 miles" might in reality be nothing. The car is taking a wild guess as to how far it might go. That number has no basis in reality.

It's certainly not going to matter unless you are doing a roadtrip that requires you to drive all the way down to 2% or 0. So why fret about it?

When I was up in Breckenridge a few weeks ago, I parked in a garage that was not heated, with the door open much of the day, for three days. It was below zero most of the time. I lost maybe 2 percent of my battery in that three days. And I was sleeping over the garage with my fob and phone sitting within 15 feet or so of the car, so I'm sure it was waking up from time to time.

I have no idea how many "miles" those few percentage points is, but it seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Certainly didn't effect my ability to get home with almost 50% charge left.

I'm sure there are ways Lucid can improve drain even further. But I'd consider it a pretty low priority compared to other issues they are having.

It's not a matter of driving down to 2% or 0%, it's more about getting a second opinion from other Owners to see if there is a defect or a battery leak in the car that's causing the drain. Or better yet a fault in the car that short circuiting and consuming energy.

After owning couple different EVs from different manufacturer that have 0 to minimal drain and then you have another brand new product from a non-legacy automaker that does have a drain, it's a very valid reason for concern. And the reasons include - this is normal behavior for the car, I have a battery leak somewhere, it's just poor programming on Lucid's part that's causing the BMS system to behave incorrectly, its due to a lack of heat pump, something is shorting inside the car causing energy consumption.

Do you use a mobile key? If so your car may be waking up when you walk near it with the phone. As @hydbob said, most owners are seeing less then 0.5% SOC or 2 miles per day vampire drain.

I do have a mobile key, but only woke up the car once during my testing, I can't imagine I would lose 15 miles by one wake-up. But the only caveat here is that it's quite cold in Colorado and I will have better metrics in the summer.

My phone sits right above my garage, but that's not waking up the car as far as I can tell. It still shows my car is locked when checking in the app.

But I don't know if the car is constantly trying to search for a signal since my phone sits right above the garage. So maybe my understanding of the car waking up is different than having a mobile key in close vicinity which may cause phantom drain.

My definition of waking up the car is, unlocking the car, or opening the Lucid app. But anytime I go in the app, it says "Waking up car, may take up to 30 seconds" - To me that means the car has been a sleep unless I physically opened the app or unlocked the car and having the phone in close vicinity is irrelevant.

But maybe someone can educate me that if my understanding is different. I suppose I could try deleting my mobile key and seeing how the drain is impacted.

It's not a matter of driving down to 2% or 0%, it's more about getting a second opinion from other Owners to see if there is a defect or a battery leak in the car that's causing the drain. Or better yet a fault in the car that short circuiting and consuming energy.

After owning couple different EVs from different manufacturer that have 0 to minimal drain and then you have another brand new product from a non-legacy automaker that does have a drain, it's a very valid reason for concern. And the reasons include - this is normal behavior for the car, I have a battery leak somewhere, it's just poor programming on Lucid's part that's causing the BMS system to behave incorrectly, its due to a lack of heat pump, something is shorting inside the car causing energy consumption.
I would run your test by locking your car, disabling your mobile key and then checking it only after a 24 hr period. Might be a PITA, but it would give your clarity on if there is an actual issue or if your phone is just too close and is opening the car constantly without you knowing.

I do have a mobile key, but only woke up the car once during my testing, I can't imagine I would lose 15 miles by one wake-up. But the only caveat here is that it's quite cold in Colorado and I will have better metrics in the summer.

My phone sits right above my garage, but that's not waking up the car as far as I can tell. It still shows my car is locked when checking in the app.

But I don't know if the car is constantly trying to search for a signal since my phone sits right above the garage. So maybe my understanding of the car waking up is different than having a mobile key in close vicinity which may cause phantom drain.

My definition of waking up the car is, unlocking the car, or opening the Lucid app. But anytime I go in the app, it says "Waking up car, may take up to 30 seconds" - To me that means the car has been a sleep unless I physically opened the app or unlocked the car and having the phone in close vicinity is irrelevant.

But maybe someone can educate me that if my understanding is different. I suppose I could try deleting my mobile key and seeing how the drain is impacted.
I suggest turning the bluetooth off on your phone for day to see if that changes the vampire drain. This will disable the mobile key so that you know the phone's mobile key is not causing the car to wake up

I see. If you're trying to determine if your car is out of the usual range of loss for a Lucid, it sounds like it might be? Most of us who have eliminated the variables of keys and phones waking up the car are seeing less than you, it seems. And for me, even when my phone and fob were nearby, I lost relatively little.

I'd start, though, by measuring this in terms of percentage, not miles. Like I said, miles are nonsense. Not just on the Lucid, but all EVs. Percentage is actually based on reality. Try to determine how many percentage points you lose in a day, for starters. As @Adnillien said earlier, for most of us, that seems to be about 0.5%? Unfortunately, the car won't give you decimal places, so even if it drops, say, from 80% to 79%, that's not necessarily a 1-percent loss. It's likely at 79.8 or 79.7. The car rounds down, no matter how close to the next integer it is. (Not super helpful.)

So it may take two or three days to determine just how much you are actually losing per day.

If your car keeps showing a full point drop every single day, then you may have some other factor at play that is draining your car faster than the rest of us.

Thank you all for your valid inputs and suggestions. I will try this method and report back.

I’m on Day 6 in South America, my Lucid widget showed 90% to 88% for 2 % loss in Day-6. Back in Houston, it is around 55F ~ 70F. In Buenos Aires, It’s as high as 97F summer here.

Back