update .35

Oops. That's what I get for copying and pasting from someone else's erroneous post. Sorry, @Cosmo Cruz
To be clear: after a brake failure, especially one not cured by a reset (but really ever), you should have the car checked out by service. I know that’s what you’re doing now, but I wouldn’t have driven it after it happened a second time.

Please let us know if you have issues getting in touch with service!

Anyone know how to send an email to Lucid service? Calling is no good and texting my problem would be a pain on the phone.

I don't know what to do now. How do I know it won't fail again? Should I just drive around the block for the next 1000 miles?

Going to NYC, would it be better to be stranded in the freezing cold on the GW bridge or under the Hudson river in the Lincoln Tunnel?

I"ve done the key card reset after 4 turn signal resets. Do I dare drive the car? How does one test this?

Meanwhile I'm going to practice putting the tow loop on ... and read-up on how to get the car ready for a flat-bed tow. Fortunately I have the car cover so all the EVs passing by won't see my Lucid being dragged onto a flatbed.

Do we have a place to post questions that a service rep will see ? Looks like I'm the only one to get bricked after the **.35 update.
In all fairness getting stranded due to a car malfunction is not that uncommon. Last month the wife’s Land Rover began throwing steam on the George Washington bridge ( in traffic no less with no where to turn off untill the west side highway. )started getting low coolant warnings and was watching the temp gauge nervously. Turns out a hose under the supercharger split, missed our event and spent 2 hours on the side of the road. This is the third time a Land Rover has stranded us going to an event in NYC over the last 7 years. My Lucid has only had minor inconveniences but the only big problem was the double blow out on 21s so external factor more the reason. Still some of these threads can give one pause when considering a long trip like I have going to Florida in a couple days.

@Cosmo Cruz I have a question as I may not understand the problem correctly. Did your brakes fail, as in brake pedal did not work but car stopped because you had regen on? Did the brake hold icon light up on the dash (the D icon will turn to H with parentheses around it)? Or was the problem you had the car automatically braking? That will cause the screen to flash red and the vehicle to lunge to a stop very aggressively, which is the opposite of a brake failure but instead overly aggressive brakes? I’m on my asking because sometimes the updates turn back on settings previously turned off. My auto-front/read collision braking is turned off because I can’t back out of my driveway without the car slamming on the brakes even though I have room. Maybe either yours got turned on, or the sensor is malfunctioning and sensing there are objects that are not there (aka Tesla phantom braking?).

And most importantly glad you have a sense of humor about this and aren’t throwing a tantrum, don’t ever lose that!

If you can get someone to help, text customer care and ask them to repush the update.

that sucks. what did Lucid say? i thought .35 was supposed to improve the drive system failure scenarios. maybe you did have a genuine failure that it recognized upon installing .35?. also worth noting that you're not supposed to use the turn signal reset methods (apparently it's only for service tech folks and customers are not supposed to use them).

i hope it's not related to 0.35 update because i just asked my car to install it.
Yes, exactly. Was it the update or coincidence? I'm leaning towards the latter since I am the only one to report bricking after the update.
I was so traumatized that I came here to report it immediately so nobody else has my experience after the update. May have overreacted...full of adrenaline. Lucid said my update was successful (that's what the car said too). I'm going to talk this over with the wife and then decide my next move (literally). She won't trust the car now. I don't know how Lucid Care can fix that problem.

The tech was just here installing the dead video module so a complete scan of the "before" is in the books. Since then a gazillion updates have been downloaded as I missed every single one since delivery end of Sept (can't update with dead screens). But they all were successful. If it's a hardware problem that's good because you can replace hardware. But then why does it "fix" after a reset?????
So it's software, right? or hardware. or both. or neither.

My car has space herpes.

Yes, exactly. Was it the update or coincidence? I'm leaning towards the latter since I am the only one to report bricking after the update.
I was so traumatized that I came here to report it immediately so nobody else has my experience after the update. May have overreacted...full of adrenaline. Lucid said my update was successful (that's what the car said too). I'm going to talk this over with the wife and then decide my next move (literally). She won't trust the car now. I don't know how Lucid Care can fix that problem.

The tech was just here installing the dead video module so a complete scan of the "before" is in the books. Since then a gazillion updates have been downloaded as I missed every single one since delivery end of Sept (can't update with dead screens). But they all were successful. If it's a hardware problem that's good because you can replace hardware. But then why does it "fix" after a reset?????

My car has space herpes.
I’m betting coincidence, but again, have service look at it. None of us can help solve the problem for you, as it appears to be hardware.

A reset can fix it short term as it clears the error codes, but if the problem recurs it is almost certainly hardware, and coincidence.

As for your wife trusting it - literally every car can fail, and ICE cars have never been immune. I’ve had plenty fail on the highway. It sucks, but this isn’t “because it’s an EV.”

My condolences to Cosmo Cruz, what a horrifying situation. I had that happen with my original Mazda RX2 in 1976 in the middle of the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago. Luckily, the brakes did not lock and I was just able to coast to the shoulder. We all love the Lucid Air (or will love it). I'm willing to endure lots of irritating issues, but the car freezing up in heavy traffic sends chills down my spine. I hope Lucid will resolve this issue with alacrity.

Have you been watching these games?! I get up at 2 am to watch them again.

The Eagles are boring...they are on right now and

... meh

to hear the announcer praising Hurts for running a few feet into an empty space ... he's just running ... let me see him dribble that football and I'll watch. let me see him take a cleat to the instep ... let me see him take a toe to the shin... let me see him twist a corner into a header goal

let me see anyone on the Eagles kick a ball from one end of the pitch to the other.

boooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring
You have a great outlook on life, including getting up early to watch the World Cup and your approach to handling this situation with your Lucid. I’m a NY Giants fan, so you had me at “ the Eagles are boring”. 🦅

My car has space herpes.
You were not the only one whose car bricked after the .35 update. Mine is currently at the service center being diagnosed/fixed (hopefully) soon.

@Cosmo Cruz I have a question as I may not understand the problem correctly. Did your brakes fail, as in brake pedal did not work but car stopped because you had regen on?
no can't recall if I touched brakes before it happened, I usually do not need to use the brakes.

Did the brake hold icon light up on the dash (the D icon will turn to H with parentheses around it)?
probably, everything was lit up. I was too freaked to notice.
Or was the problem you had the car automatically braking? That will cause the screen to flash red and the vehicle to lunge to a stop very aggressively, which is the opposite of a brake failure but instead overly aggressive brakes?
yes, this is what happened. you describe it well. has it happened to you ? It was sudden and I wasn't doing anything but regen coasting to a stop at the red light. It happened just a few meters before I got to the stop place.
I’m onl my asking because sometimes the updates turn back on settings previously turned off. My auto-front/read collision braking is turned off because I can’t back out of my driveway without the car slamming on the brakes even though I have room. Maybe either yours got turned on, or the sensor is malfunctioning and sensing there are objects that are not there (aka Tesla phantom braking?).

And most importantly glad you have a sense of humor about this and aren’t throwing a tantrum, don’t ever lose that!
Dude thanks. Let me set the scene. Sunday going to Meeting. I go out to the car and see the update star next to the gear thing.
It's only 2 min. so I do it. Come back out everything's cool. Then I see the star is back?? So I do it again and everything's cool, car is current at xx.35. I"m wondering if we should take the wife's mazda to drive into the city on the dangerous Schuylkill expressway since I have not driven the car much since the video module was replaced and all the updates I'd missed were installed, but we did it the previous Sunday and it was fine. Just one of those "little voice" kind of things that you can't tell is a warning or monkey brain chatter. I decided I was being silly, and I couldn't wait to take the car out on the highway again. You know ... the car is an awesome ride.

So we're 4 miles from home on the local roads in light rain and very light Sunday AM traffic. I'm on a gentle downhill to a stop light and letting regen slow me. No other cars around. I don't know if I touched the brake pedal...even though I have low time I love the one foot driving and rarely use the brake if not needed. Suddenly the car seems to lurch violently and jerk to a hard stop and the dash goes red. I probably instinctively went to the brake at some point...not sure if I was on the brake when it happened. Did not lose brakes, quite the opposite.

Car would not move. Put hazards on. Tesla rolls up behind us. I'm mortified. We're sitting in the car I'm trying to make sense of it all while wife is out in the freezing rain directing traffic around us -- we are not in any danger, but I can tell my body is in full fight/flight mode.
I call roadside assistance but that was useless (can't hear, can't understand accent, bad connection, car speaker way distorted like it's being overdriven for those who know audio). I get out and ask the wife to call. Guy asks for VIN but says car does not exist. He reads back the VIN wrong so I try again, he reads it back wrong again, third time good but he insists car does not exist (same issue with Liberty Mutual Insurance). After several minutes I realize I can't understand or explain anything with his accent and our bad connection so I hang up. Someone yells "nice car" as the drive into the oncoming traffic lane to get around me. My first compliment. We are both standing in the rain. It's pretty obvious the car is not nice at all. I say this to set the tone for my mood. Fear and rage. Humiliation and embarrassment. We're getting cold as we had not planned to be outside. I'm shaking from the adrenaline.

Decide to try the turn signal reset. It works. Now what? Well, we aren't going to Meeting...so relieved as we were so close to getting on the highway. Should I drive a few meters to the first safe spot for a tow truck? But we are only about 2 miles from the EA charger at the Mall with it's huge empty parking lots and we can be warm and dry in the mall while we wait for the tow. I convince the wife that I have read about this and assure her it's probably a software glitch that was fixed by the reset. Car behaves normally ~ 2 miles but just as we approach the mall parking and I slow for the turn-in it happens again without the sudden stop but bright red screen ... perhaps a different one? This time car is still coasting so I used momentum to finish the turn into the parking lot and coast into a safe landing where a tow truck can easily get me.

The chargers are just 100 meters away downhill, so I do the turn signal reset and it works. I tell the wife I'm going to fill up while I'm here so why don't you go in the mall and try calling the guy again. I start the car and drive towards the chargers, about 20 meters it happens again. Third time. I do reset. I drive to chargers and tell wife go to mall I'm going to charge while i am here and she's going to call the guy again from the warmth and dryness of the mall.

the open charger is out of service but one next to it is ok, but there is no way to park my car front or back where the EA cable will reach the port??? I give up and move the car to a place for the tow truck and go in the mall to pee. When I come out Tycan guy has moved to the spot I could not reach but is still on the phone. Ah ha! EA charger syndrome. (he has to use his credit card). I move to his spot and charge starts immediately. As I walk back to the mall I say: "new technology...has issues". He replys in German accent, kind disgusted sounding, "It's not new, and this is supposed to be free." It's not just our cars. I'm starting to feel better. I go into the mall. We give up on roadside assistance and I say let's take the car home. I'm still optimistic because the resets have worked every time. I start to back out and this time definitely touched the brake. Bricked again. I don't know what was wrong with me but I did a reset again, it worked, and I convinced the wife we could drive the 6 mi back home, as where else would they tow the car? The drive home was uneventful.

Since then I've done the key card reset and driven around the block trying to reproduce the fault.

I can't remember well because adrenaline. I saw "drive system failure" and "brake system failure" at various times during the 4 times it happened, also saw the turtle. Don't remember which happened which time now. I'm pretty sure my screen was much more red and orange and lit up than in the photo posted above. Did not even think to snap a photo. Are all these faults logged into the system for diagnosis?

Attachments

• 1670891676902.webp
    1670891676902.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 37
I had my new 911 just stop dead in the middle of the road about two weeks after I purchased it, turned out to be something electrical, but it was not good. My wife never distrusted the car, but she still makes fun of it 20 years later.

Ah crap. I was editing the post for clarity and meant to highlight the schadenfreude moment with the frustrated German with the Tycan, how ironic (I'm german too) that I started to feel better after seeing him frustrated....and all the events surrounding the day that effected my mood... we particularly wanted to go to Meeting because a dear friend and elder of the Meeting had passed the night before so we needed the silence with our congregation...to morn. For some reason I can't edit well until I see the post...the preview never seems to be enough. But I took too long and timed out so all the errors remain and I'm not going to tell this story again. Anyway I'm emotionally exhausted. Goodbye.

no can't recall if I touched brakes before it happened, I usually do not need to use the brakes.

probably, everything was lit up. I was too freaked to notice.

yes, this is what happened. you describe it well. has it happened to you ? It was sudden and I wasn't doing anything but regen coasting to a stop at the red light. It happened just a few meters before I got to the stop place.

Dude thanks. Let me set the scene. Sunday going to Meeting. I go out to the car and see the update star next to the gear thing.
It's only 2 min. so I do it. Come back out everything's cool. Then I see the star is back?? So I do it again and everything's cool, car is current at xx.35. I"m wondering if we should take the wife's mazda to drive into the city on the dangerous Schuylkill expressway since I have not driven the car much since the video module was replaced and all the updates I'd missed were installed, but we did it the previous Sunday and it was fine. Just one of those "little voice" kind of things that you can't tell is a warning or monkey brain chatter. I decided I was being silly, and I couldn't wait to take the car out on the highway again. You know ... the car is an awesome ride.

So we're 4 miles from home on the local roads in light rain and very light Sunday AM traffic. I'm on a gentle downhill to a stop light and letting regen slow me. No other cars around. I don't know if I touched the brake pedal...even though I have low time I love the one foot driving and rarely use the brake if not needed. Suddenly the car seems to lurch violently and jerk to a hard stop and the dash goes red. I probably instinctively went to the brake at some point...not sure if I was on the brake when it happened. Did not lose brakes, quite the opposite.

Car would not move. Put hazards on. Tesla rolls up behind us. I'm mortified. We're sitting in the car I'm trying to make sense of it all while wife is out in the freezing rain directing traffic around us -- we are not in any danger, but I can tell my body is in full fight/flight mode.
I call roadside assistance but that was useless (can't hear, can't understand accent, bad connection, car speaker way distorted like it's being overdriven for those who know audio). I get out and ask the wife to call. Guy asks for VIN but says car does not exist. He reads back the VIN wrong so I try again, he reads it back wrong again, third time good but he insists car does not exist (same issue with Liberty Mutual Insurance). After several minutes I realize I can't understand or explain anything with his accent and our bad connection so I hang up. Someone yells "nice car" as the drive into the oncoming traffic lane to get around me. My first compliment. We are both standing in the rain. It's pretty obvious the car is not nice at all. I say this to set the tone for my mood. Fear and rage. Humiliation and embarrassment. We're getting cold as we had not planned to be outside. I'm shaking from the adrenaline.

Decide to try the turn signal reset. It works. Now what? Well, we aren't going to Meeting...so relieved as we were so close to getting on the highway. Should I drive a few meters to the first safe spot for a tow truck? But we are only about 2 miles from the EA charger at the Mall with it's huge empty parking lots and we can be warm and dry in the mall while we wait for the tow. I convince the wife that I have read about this and assure her it's probably a software glitch that was fixed by the reset. Car behaves normally ~ 2 miles but just as we approach the mall parking and I slow for the turn-in it happens again without the sudden stop but bright red screen ... perhaps a different one? This time car is still coasting so I used momentum to finish the turn into the parking lot and coast into a safe landing where a tow truck can easily get me.

The chargers are just 100 meters away downhill, so I do the turn signal reset and it works. I tell the wife I'm going to fill up while I'm here so why don't you go in the mall and try calling the guy again. I start the car and drive towards the chargers, about 20 meters it happens again. Third time. I do reset. I drive to chargers and tell wife go to mall I'm going to charge while i am here and she's going to call the guy again from the warmth and dryness of the mall.

the open charger is out of service but one next to it is ok, but there is no way to park my car front or back where the EA cable will reach the port??? I give up and move the car to a place for the tow truck and go in the mall to pee. When I come out Tycan guy has moved to the spot I could not reach but is still on the phone. Ah ha! EA charger syndrome. (he has to use his credit card). I move to his spot and charge starts immediately. As I walk back to the mall I say: "new technology...has issues". He replys in German accent, kind disgusted sounding, "It's not new, and this is supposed to be free." It's not just our cars. I'm starting to feel better. I go into the mall. We give up on roadside assistance and I say let's take the car home. I'm still optimistic because the resets have worked every time. I start to back out and this time definitely touched the brake. Bricked again. I don't know what was wrong with me but I did a reset again, it worked, and I convinced the wife we could drive the 6 mi back home, as where else would they tow the car? The drive home was uneventful.

Since then I've done the key card reset and driven around the block trying to reproduce the fault.

I can't remember well because adrenaline. I saw "drive system failure" and "brake system failure" at various times during the 4 times it happened, also saw the turtle. Don't remember which happened which time now. I'm pretty sure my screen was much more red and orange and lit up than in the photo posted above. Did not even think to snap a photo. Are all these faults logged into the system for diagnosis?
As much as it sucks for you I now understand exactly what was going on. I tend to write long posts and apparently can only understand something clearly if it’s similarly long haha.

I love throwing out guesses as to what a problem might be and then being totally wrong about it, because hey that’s how everyone learns. So here’s my guess: I recall seeing a video from Out of Spec where Alyssa was driving Kyle’s model 3 to go pick up some dog, and the Model 3 kept randomly slamming on the brakes and throwing up these fault errors, but it wasn’t typical Tesla phantom braking. Kyle shows up and totally mansplains to her it’s not possible and she was just being over sensitive to the regen or some nonsense, I was actually disappointed by how unsympathetic and what a weiner he was being about it. So then the car finally gets towed, they put it up on a lift with a mechanic, and it turns out one of the rear right brake system sensors was just slightly loose causing these crazy alerts and horror brake slams making the car undriveable. So all I can say is I hope your problem/solution is that simple, best of luck man.

As much as it sucks for you I now understand exactly what was going on. I tend to write long posts and apparently can only understand something clearly if it’s similarly long haha.

I love throwing out guesses as to what a problem might be and then being totally wrong about it, because hey that’s how everyone learns. So here’s my guess: I recall seeing a video from Out of Spec where Alyssa was driving Kyle’s model 3 to go pick up some dog, and the Model 3 kept randomly slamming on the brakes and throwing up these fault errors, but it wasn’t typical Tesla phantom braking. Kyle shows up and totally mansplains to her it’s not possible and she was just being over sensitive to the regen or some nonsense, I was actually disappointed by how unsympathetic and what a weiner he was being about it. So then the car finally gets towed, they put it up on a lift with a mechanic, and it turns out one of the rear right brake system sensors was just slightly loose causing these crazy alerts and horror brake slams making the car undriveable. So all I can say is I hope your problem/solution is that simple, best of luck man.

I picked up on that too, but you have to be paying attention to notice it - Kyle Connor can be a bit of chauvinistic jerk towards his wife. I have to wonder if he’d speak that way if he were married to another man instead.

I picked up on that too, but you have to be paying attention to notice it - Kyle Connor can be a bit of chauvinistic jerk towards his wife. I have to wonder if he’d speak that way if he were married to another man instead.
Is this comment really germane to cars or even necessary?

Please forgive me. I'm pretty sure my over-reaction had more to do with how similar the slam stop was to a bad experience...went into depression mode, stated having suicide thoughts, called Lucid for the title, and started browsing the car sale websites. Lots of below the surface. Slept for 16 hours. Wife is very supportive. You know what turned it around for me: Andy the service guy showed up. He's going to make it all better. I'm like the guy with the cheating girlfriend who can't leave her because the sex is so fantastic.

It's so weird. Reading about the others who posted their tribulations I was the guy who said, "well what did you expect, beta-tester?" and "he has bad luck = I don't". But the moment it happens to me I'm ready to kill myself. Now I'm going to be the "hang in there" guy but understand the emotions this car brings out can be a handful.

Please forgive me. I'm pretty sure my over-reaction had more to do with how similar the slam stop was to a bad experience...went into depression mode, stated having suicide thoughts, called Lucid for the title, and started browsing the car sale websites. Lots of below the surface. Slept for 16 hours. Wife is very supportive. You know what turned it around for me: Andy the service guy showed up. He's going to make it all better. I'm like the guy with the cheating girlfriend who can't leave her because the sex is so fantastic.

It's so weird. Reading about the others who posted their tribulations I was the guy who said, "well what did you expect, beta-tester?" and "he has bad luck = I don't". But the moment it happens to me I'm ready to kill myself. Now I'm going to be the "hang in there" guy but understand the emotions this car brings out can be a handful.
another classic Cosmo Cruz post. Love ya man!

This incident sounds completely unnerving. I'm glad everyone is ok. On a technical note, I think I read 'tow truck' somewhere back in this thread... remember to turn off Shock & Tilt Alert in the mobile app if there's a tow or load involved. At least that's what my DA told me.

Back