Upcoming Rivian compact SUV

Didnt expect this for another few quarters. Should be a popular vehicle. Wonder how their Georgia factory is progressing.

R2 debut in March 2023, but delivery is more like late 2026. Rivian needs that mass volume vehicle before cash burned out.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 12.47.59 PM.png

Look, I like the jeep esque sides, but that front is HIDEOUS. The R1s were so good... why did they mess it up?
The unveil SHOULD be in Laguna beach on march 7th though, based on city filings!

I wouldn't think too hard about a line drawing in a patent filing. The patent isn't about the car's styling, so the drawing could look like anything.

I wouldn't think too hard about a line drawing in a patent filing. The patent isn't about the car's styling, so the drawing could look like anything.
Yes, but to my knowledge all the numbered things are a part of the patent, including the lights. These patents also tend to look very close to the actual car.. the “2021” gravity was a victim of this as well!

Yes, but to my knowledge all the numbered things are a part of the patent, including the lights. These patents also tend to look very close to the actual car.. the “2021” gravity was a victim of this as well!
I have 8 utility patents to my name. The “numbered things” are figures, which are general representations of what such an embodiment of the invention *might* look like, but it is by no means a design document. The vast majority of figures are line drawings, flow charts, tables, and so on.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into any of it.

It *could* look like that. Or it could not. 🤷‍♂️

I have 8 utility patents to my name. The “numbered things” are figures, which are general representations of what such an embodiment of the invention *might* look like, but it is by no means a design document. The vast majority of figures are line drawings, flow charts, tables, and so on.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into any of it.

It *could* look like that. Or it could not. 🤷‍♂️
My bad for misunderstanding it with no knowledge! I still do think it is the real one(and hope it isnt), as at this point in time the car should be finalized for the launch in about a month. In addition, it matches with that wrapped cover that was teased.

Then again, the Gravity prototype with that minivan apprarance vs what we got, altough the exact same in sheet metal, looked different thanks to the numerous clever design features. Maybe Rivian can do it with this?

BTW, based on that d pillar, it could be a convertible a la wrangler… suitable competition for the jeep recon!

Some people have spotted the car, here are two pictures confirming they are real from different sources:
1708095957221.png

I absolutely love it, it looks JUST like a R1S!

They teased the launch video of R2. Will
Have to see on March 7th about price, range and battery pack.

Rivian R2 specs leaked! Looks promising, with a 47k price, 330 miles, and a 0-60 of three seconds.. ouch. Tesla is doomed! Also has powered rear glass like a 4runner, which I would love.
Now the thing REALLY that excites me is that the upcoming Lucid midsize car will likely beat all of those specs...

Rivian unveiled R2 (starting price point is $45k), R3(Similar to Ioniq 5) and R3X

R2 - First half of 2026. Manufacturing in same plant as R1. Over 300 miles
R3 - Not mentioned
R3X - Not mentioned

Attachments

• IMG_4503.png
    IMG_4503.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
R3 > R2

Give it to me !

Yeah they revealed 3 models.
R2 - First half of 2026. Reservations start today. Stating price is $47k and gets over 330 miles.
R3 - no details but looks like Ioniq 5
R3X - no details.

Attachments

• IMG_4503.png
    IMG_4503.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 27
Overall I think is a good thing for the EV world. More options, more affordable options. There is a market, for such models. It reminds me Land Rover back in the 90s.

Back