Upcoming Rivian compact SUV

Supposedly after the latest upgrades Lucid factory is capable of 90k units per year.

Rivian had a production capacity of 150k units per year for R1T,R1S and EDV.

Today they announced they are upgrading their Normal Illinois factory to produce 215k units per year.

Which suggest R2 capacity will be at least 65k units per year.

How soon could Lucid manufacture 65k Midsize units per year?

Supposedly after the latest upgrades Lucid factory is capable of 90k units per year.

Rivian had a production capacity of 150k units per year for R1T,R1S and EDV.

Today they announced they are upgrading their Normal Illinois factory to produce 215k units per year.

Which suggest R2 capacity will be at least 65k units per year.

How soon could Lucid manufacture 65k Midsize units per year?
By 2028, AMP 1 should have 400k units plus 150k for AMP 2 in Saudi.

Can I just say how excited I am for the future? Rivian's future models look beautiful, and I can't wait for Gravity and the Lucid midsize... I'm so glad the future is more than just Model 3/Y/Cybertruck lol.

By 2028, AMP 1 should have 400k units plus 150k for AMP 2 in Saudi.

This would outpace Tesla's growth by 2 years.

So far Lucid is not tracking Tesla's growth.

In Tesla's 3rd year of production (2nd full year) it delivered 31,655 vehicles(Model S)

In Lucid's 3rd year of production(2nd full year) it hopes to produce 9000 vehicles.

Rivian hopes to produce roughly the same number of vehicles this year as last, 57k.

We know that the midsize's design is finished or close to finished, and I would expect an unveil (a detailed one like rivian, not like the November 22 gravity one with that stupid perfume lady). If not, Lucid may lose ground on early reservations to Rivian and the FUD about Lucid dying due to this would increase. (not trying to be an armchair ceo, for the record)
R2 is at least 2 Years away, R3 4 years away. What’s the point in releasing R3 now? Gives away details to competitors and a lot can change in 4 years - Almost half a decade.

Not liking R2, just a shrinked R1 in every aspect, no passion in design, no differentiation. Lucid midsize will not be a shrinked Gravity.

R3 looks like a hot hatch EV, this design I like.

I wonder how fast the R2 and R3 will charge. The R1 with 2170 cells is kind of middle of the road with respect to charging performance. We see from Tesla that the larger format cells have worse charging performance than the smaller format cells. Rivian may have better battery cooling to overcome this but I don't count on that. I like Rivian's interior and exterior design which is very well thought out for how people use trucks or SUVs. Probably the best of any SUV that I have driven. However, their battery and drive train is very generic which is why I expect the R2 and R3 to have fairly poor charging performance.

Can I just say how excited I am for the future? Rivian's future models look beautiful, and I can't wait for Gravity and the Lucid midsize... I'm so glad the future is more than just Model 3/Y/Cybertruck lol.
Tesla is definitely losing its shine.

R2 is at least 2 Years away, R3 4 years away. What’s the point in releasing R3 now? Gives away details to competitors and a lot can change in 4 years - Almost half a decade.

Not liking R2, just a shrinked R1 in every aspect, no passion in design, no differentiation. Lucid midsize will not be a shrinked Gravity.

R3 looks like a hot hatch EV, this design I like.
Agree on all counts. I do think the R2 looks good (as does the R1), but there is not much differentiation in terms of major body lines. I too don't understand why Rivian insisted on revealing their vehicles this early compared to production. Maybe to get the stock out of the rut and gather reservations? We do have to remember, the Lucid was unveiled in 2016 while the R1's (A1 at the time) were unveiled in 2018 at the LA auto show. Then again, they were both meant to get on the road within 1-2 years of the unveil...

Rivian unveiled R2 (starting price point is $45k), R3(Similar to Ioniq 5) and R3X

R2 - First half of 2026. Manufacturing in same plant as R1. Over 300 miles
R3 - Not mentioned
R3X - Not mentioned
They did say all will have over 300 mile range option , 270 miles for base model

I wonder how fast the R2 and R3 will charge. The R1 with 2170 cells is kind of middle of the road with respect to charging performance. We see from Tesla that the larger format cells have worse charging performance than the smaller format cells. Rivian may have better battery cooling to overcome this but I don't count on that. I like Rivian's interior and exterior design which is very well thought out for how people use trucks or SUVs. Probably the best of any SUV that I have driven. However, their battery and drive train is very generic which is why I expect the R2 and R3 to have fairly poor charging performance.

Charge 10% - 80% in 30 min.

Very nice if it is real.

I can’t speak for R2, but I have seen R1S has a very long curve slopw down from 205kW to 170kW (about 55%) in my experience. But itself is a big battery pack to charge.

Back