Unexpected test drive this weekend

noobzilla

Dropped by Berkeley to pick up some paintings then to Walnut Creek for super late 4pm paella lunch. Didn't know that area is a shopping area so walked around after the meal. To my surprise, there's a Lucid booth outdoors. Checked it out and it's also the last color I haven't seen in person -- quantum grey. Well technically there's the sapphire now too but not counting that. I thought I'd like the grey more based on pictures posted here but now I'd pick black over it. Finalizing my pick to cosmos silver if I'm getting a Touring and white for a Pure.

Then I got offered to test drive! Though I just remembered the traffic, narrow roads, and the crowds on my way there. Also had a near hit earlier that day and I told my SO had I been driving a much wider Lucid vs my mazda3 I would've hit something. As much as I would love to test drive it I had to say no since I'm not comfortable with the area especially with a 800+hp car.

Though we did get a 20 min drive around as passengers! It was a nice and quiet ride. The car accelerated on command without difficulty. The interior was very spacious. Since it was dark I also tested different LED colors which I like a lot. Camera side view on the dashboard and alerts when activating the turn signal and 360 view when parking are very nice extras which I hope we can have with the Touring and Pure options. We also get to hear the Dolby Atmos as that particular test car did have it unlike the other preproduction models.

Before we got off the car I remember the recent stories here regarding their cars stopping and how it could just be user error accidentally putting the car in neutral. I asked the SA to show it and seems pretty easy to put it on N on accident? I don't remember if the car had to be parked but if not then an accidental flick of the right lever mechanism (pretty much identical to the turn signal on the left side) would do it.

Eventually drove back home in my mazda3. The already somewhat bothersome road noise had become more bothersome. I'm spoiled now. Looking forward to getting my Lucid hopefully early Q2 2023.

Attachments

• 20220917_184600.jpg
    20220917_184600.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 189
I forgot to mention Tesla. They have a showroom nearby too and offer 30 min test drive. I checked the interiors. I think there's some improvement in the quality vs the last time I checked a 2020 Model Y and 2018? Model X. Maybe because the showroom models are new and well maintained. Both the X and Y I saw in the past were falling apart and seem to have degraded faster than my 9yr old car.

I appreciate the Tesla minimalism but considering how I drive on the fast lane almost all the time, having a dashboard away from my view to check speed is a big no.

Dropped by Berkeley to pick up some paintings then to Walnut Creek for super late 4pm paella lunch. Didn't know that area is a shopping area so walked around after the meal. To my surprise, there's a Lucid booth outdoors. Checked it out and it's also the last color I haven't seen in person -- quantum grey. Well technically there's the sapphire now too but not counting that. I thought I'd like the grey more based on pictures posted here but now I'd pick black over it. Finalizing my pick to cosmos silver if I'm getting a Touring and white for a Pure.

Then I got offered to test drive! Though I just remembered the traffic, narrow roads, and the crowds on my way there. Also had a near hit earlier that day and I told my SO had I been driving a much wider Lucid vs my mazda3 I would've hit something. As much as I would love to test drive it I had to say no since I'm not comfortable with the area especially with a 800+hp car.

Though we did get a 20 min drive around as passengers! It was a nice and quiet ride. The car accelerated on command without difficulty. The interior was very spacious. Since it was dark I also tested different LED colors which I like a lot. Camera side view on the dashboard and alerts when activating the turn signal and 360 view when parking are very nice extras which I hope we can have with the Touring and Pure options. We also get to hear the Dolby Atmos as that particular test car did have it unlike the other preproduction models.

Before we got off the car I remember the recent stories here regarding their cars stopping and how it could just be user error accidentally putting the car in neutral. I asked the SA to show it and seems pretty easy to put it on N on accident? I don't remember if the car had to be parked but if not then an accidental flick of the right lever mechanism (pretty much identical to the turn signal on the left side) would do it.

Eventually drove back home in my mazda3. The already somewhat bothersome road noise had become more bothersome. I'm spoiled now. Looking forward to getting my Lucid hopefully early Q2 2023.
You can definitely accidentally shift into neutral while driving. I did it going downhill on Skyline when it started misting and I instinctively pushed upward on the right lever because in all my previous cars that would make the wipers go once or twice. Suddenly had no power and after a brief panic realized I had shifted into neutral. Then I couldn't get it back into drive until I touched the brake and that let me shift back and all was well.

You can definitely accidentally shift into neutral while driving. I did it going downhill on Skyline when it started misting and I instinctively pushed upward on the right lever because in all my previous cars that would make the wipers go once or twice. Suddenly had no power and after a brief panic realized I had shifted into neutral. Then I couldn't get it back into drive until I touched the brake and that let me shift back and all was well.

Yikes! Thanks for confirming! As it stands now, getting to Neural is a bit too easy and quick recipe for disaster. My car does that too - a quick windshield wipe which I use fairly frequently when there's rain so out of habit if I was driving a Lucid I would very likely accidentally put myself to Neutral too. A software update to ask for confirmation before going to Neutral while driving should help and also having an advanced setting where we can turn off that confirmation for drivers who would be using neutral frequently though it's rare needing to use neutral.

Yes, that’s exactly how shifting into neutral happens. Also, I also upgraded from a Mazda3 haha - absolutely loved that car but the one drawback was the immense road noise.

I got an email today to schedule a test drive in an AGT also, at the Scottsdale studio. I have already gone on a test drive, but since they asked I might take them up on the offer and go take another one out for a spin.

I forgot to mention Tesla. They have a showroom nearby too and offer 30 min test drive. I checked the interiors. I think there's some improvement in the quality vs the last time I checked a 2020 Model Y and 2018? Model X. Maybe because the showroom models are new and well maintained. Both the X and Y I saw in the past were falling apart and seem to have degraded faster than my 9yr old car.

I appreciate the Tesla minimalism but considering how I drive on the fast lane almost all the time, having a dashboard away from my view to check speed is a big no.

That is one reason I would not buy a Tesla 3 or Y. I am also offended by Elon's dictatorial methods -- take it my way or the highway. So I am taking the highway!

I got an email today to schedule a test drive in an AGT also, at the Scottsdale studio. I have already gone on a test drive, but since they asked I might take them up on the offer and go take another one out for a spin.
You and Steve are the 2 Pure reservations that I know of who have been able to get a test drive.
I'm also holding 2 reservations but no invite for me.
Perhaps this is related to when you guys reserved.
I'm in no rush to make a decision so waiting is ok. with me.
Just feel bad for Lucid in terms of how many people they may lose out on because people don't have the opportunity to appreciate the car.

You and Steve are the 2 Pure reservations that I know of who have been able to get a test drive.
Just feel bad for Lucid in terms of how many people they may lose out on because people don't have the opportunity to appreciate the car.
I had just done a test drive on a BMW IX and I told the guys in the design studio that I had done that and needed to do a comparison so I could decide whether to stay on the waiting list. They immediately scheduled me for a test drive.

I had just done a test drive on a BMW IX and I told the guys in the design studio that I had done that and needed to do a comparison so I could decide whether to stay on the waiting list. They immediately scheduled me for a test drive.
After making 2 reservations in Feb, we stopped by the studio and were told to wait for the test drive.
Then in April, out of the blue, the Lucid sales person called. I forgot why he called but we didn't get any useful info. He again said no test drive for Touring.
Couple weeks later, I was at the dealership for service and test drove the EQS. Wife went the next day and she liked it, so we wrote them a check.
For lots of people, at least for us, buying a car is more a physical experience than an abstract exercise.
This is why I think Lucid is in a tough spot, not able to reel in customers at the early stage of the game because of lack of demos for test drives.
By the time Lucid is ready with demos, the market undoubtedly will be more saturated.
It's all about timing, as they say.

Just received an invitation to do a test drive @ Short Hills Studio. It will be an AGT and not a Pure. It will be interesting to compare them when a Pure is available to test drive. (Pure reserved 10/17/20)

Just received an invitation to do a test drive @ Short Hills Studio. It will be an AGT and not a Pure. It will be interesting to compare them when a Pure is available to test drive. (Pure reserved 10/17/20)
Does there exist here a checklist...or list of good questions--for someone taking a test drive?

Does there exist here a checklist...or list of good questions--for someone taking a test drive?
Check list:
1. Adjust seat, mirrors.
2. Put in Drive.
3. Drive it like you stole it!!
4. Try not to puke.

Just "trying" to be funny. I am sure others will add real questions. :)

Check list:
1. Adjust seat, mirrors.
2. Put in Drive.
3. Drive it like you stole it!!
4. Try not to puke.

Just "trying" to be funny. I am sure others will add real questions. :)
Got it..but I’ll print just to be safe on Monday!

When I did my test drive my host suggested driving in smooth mode as that would be the HP equivalent of a Pure (albeit with a 400 pound weight penalty).

My test drive is Monday as well in Short Hills. Appreciated advice from @Steveinarizona and @MoniputerLM, though they do seem to be a bit contradictory. Maybe smooth mode on the way out and SCREAM mode on the way back. One question among many I have is how does Traffic Jam Assist differ from Adaptive cruise control?

My test drive is Monday as well in Short Hills. Appreciated advice from @Steveinarizona and @MoniputerLM, though they do seem to be a bit contradictory. Maybe smooth mode on the way out and SCREAM mode on the way back. One question among many I have is how does Traffic Jam Assist differ from Adaptive cruise control?

Scream will be a great experience but not a good representation of what will come in a Pure.

BTW, I was told no freeway driving...seems strange given the car's characteristics...

Back