• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Turtle of Doom!

We need to start making excuses for Lucid. Cars don't just fail this way.
I just provided one (of many) example where cars do “just fail this way.” The important part is what happens when they do, and whether it gets corrected.

I just provided one (of many) example where cars do “just fail this way.” The important part is what happens when they do, and whether it gets corrected.
I get it. Yes, let's get it corrected. But I would gather that most (if not all) who are 'defending' Lucid on the turtle issue haven't had it in such a manner that it required the vehicle to sit in repair limbo for an extended period of time.

Yes, cars fail. But it's been my experience that they don't fail that often. In fact for me, I've never had one fail (or what I would consider an engine failure which, to me, is synonymous with turtle mode).

I am patient, probably more patient than many. But it totally sucks to have your brand new car sitting in some garage for over a week and all you can find out is that they are running diagnostics on it. If I had an engine failure on any one of my other cars, they would have diagnosed the problem by now, had parts on order, and a timeline to fix it. Not knowing when you're going to get your car back is the worst and creates even more frustration. So getting it corrected is critical, but I would also suggest that timely correction will help the Lucid brand substantially.

All that being said, I know when I get it back, I'll be happy again and will have largely forgotten (hopefully) that I had a bout of separation anxiety.

There’s no defending anything. Just either looking for a solution or complaining about how the problem shouldn’t be a problem and is annoying. The latter is understandable, it’s very frustrating! But no solutions are going to be found that way.

I get it. Yes, let's get it corrected. But I would gather that most (if not all) who are 'defending' Lucid on the turtle issue haven't had it in such a manner that it required the vehicle to sit in repair limbo for an extended period of time.

Yes, cars fail. But it's been my experience that they don't fail that often. In fact for me, I've never had one fail (or what I would consider an engine failure which, to me, is synonymous with turtle mode).

I am patient, probably more patient than many. But it totally sucks to have your brand new car sitting in some garage for over a week and all you can find out is that they are running diagnostics on it. If I had an engine failure on any one of my other cars, they would have diagnosed the problem by now, had parts on order, and a timeline to fix it. Not knowing when you're going to get your car back is the worst and creates even more frustration. So getting it corrected is critical, but I would also suggest that timely correction will help the Lucid brand substantially.

All that being said, I know when I get it back, I'll be happy again and will have largely forgotten (hopefully) that I had a bout of separation anxiety.
It’s a brand new company and naturally they need more time to diagnose problems. As they gain more experience, turn around time will undoubtedly improve . So sorry you experienced a malfunction and hopefully you will get your vehicle back soon. I really think we should all be understanding of growing pains . With so much information on this forum , we are now more prepared to deal with problems and Lucid is more prepared to fix them.

There’s no defending anything. Just either looking for a solution or complaining about how the problem shouldn’t be a problem and is annoying. The latter is understandable, it’s very frustrating! But no solutions are going to be found that way.
Fair.

Here is the thing. I just retired. And the Lucid Air is now my only car. I allowed that to happen because I naturally though the Lucid Air would at least be dependable to drive while the supposedly minor software kinks were addressed. One of the things I wanted to do in my retirement is go places, in my car. The whole "three years of free charging" was attractive to me for that reason. But I am concerned that the car will die and because it is electric, and relatively unknown, I can't just limp into a gas station and have some mechanic fix the alternator belt, etc. I am frustrated that the Lucid Air is now holding me back on this goal and is diminishing the enjoyment I might otherwise have, traveling. As I have said before, suppose I am out in the middle of nowhere (the desert, a rural area, etc) and this 12 Volt issue raises its ugly head?

And I don't agree that this "happens with other cars", especially other new cars. "Yes," of course it theoretically could happen, and I am sure that it has happened, but let's get real here - this is not some rare isolated issue that only happened one day to one owner. This is becoming a fairly common issue. Many people are having this problem, and for every one of us here that reports the issue I am certain there are many more owners that we know nothing about, that are not part of forum, but have had the issue. Finally, Lucid is not being transparent about it, and frankly that really pisses me off. Lucid needs to issue a press release admitting the problem exists and tell us all what is being done to address this.

Finally, I don't agree with the apparent philosophy of some out here that we should all be a bunch of agreeable Lucid Fanboys that rationalize excuses for this issue. Lucid needs to know that we, the owners, are not happy with this, and that this is not the same as some minor problem with the radio. Just glossing it over this makes it sound like we are just fine wondering every day if today is the day. Well I, for one, am not. We paid a lot of money for these cars and I don't view Lucid making them dependable as being a favor, but instead a legal obligation.

Here is the thing. I just retired. And the Lucid Air is now my only car. I allowed that to happen because I naturally though the Lucid Air would at least be dependable to drive while the supposedly minor software kinks were addressed. One of the things I wanted to do in my retirement is go places, in my car. The whole "three years of free charging" was attractive to me for that reason. But I am concerned that the car will die and because it is electric, and relatively unknown, I can't just limp into a gas station and have some mechanic fix the alternator belt, etc. I am frustrated that the Lucid Air is now holding me back on this goal and is diminishing the enjoyment I might otherwise have, traveling. As I have said before, suppose I am out in the middle of nowhere (the desert, a rural area, etc) and this 12 Volt issue raises its ugly head?

And I don't agree that this "happens with other cars", especially other new cars. "Yes," of course it theoretically could happen, and I am sure that it has happened, but let's get real here - this is not some rare isolated issue that only happened one day to one owner. This is becoming a fairly common issue. Many people are having this problem, and for every one of us here that reports the issue I am certain there are many more owners that we know nothing about, that are not part of forum, but have had the issue. Finally, Lucid is not being transparent about it, and frankly that really pisses me off. Lucid needs to issue a press release admitting the problem exists and tell us all what is being done to address this.

Finally, I don't agree with the apparent philosophy of some out here that we should all be a bunch of agreeable Lucid Fanboys that rationalize excuses for this issue. Lucid needs to know that we, the owners, are not happy with this, and that this is not the same as some minor problem with the radio. Just glossing it over this makes it sound like we are just fine wondering every day if today is the day. Well I, for one, am not. We paid a lot of money for these cars and I don't view Lucid making them dependable as being a favor, but instead a legal obligation.
No one is glossing it over, but you are making assumptions that are, at least at present, unfounded. It very much *isn’t* a common problem, or at least not a consistent one, or there would be a recall. And maybe there yet may be one!

They’ve issued other recalls before, for much smaller issues, so I highly doubt they would suddenly decide not to for a widespread or common issue.

We get it. You are worried that something may happen , resulting in an uncomfortable situation where you will be inconvenienced for a period of time .
You really make it sound like the company has absolutely no concern about making quality improvements. As far as transparency, what do you expect them to do? If there is a consistent issue that is causing problems I imagine a recall or statement would be in order. If not, they will have to diagnose each instance separately .
Sure, it would be a stressful occurrence to have the car break down in the middle of nowhere, but until that happens why constantly harp on it?
If you are that uncomfortable, perhaps consider a second vehicle?
Sure , many of us are enthusiastic, perhaps giving the impression of fanboys. Why? Because the car is such a damn hoot to drive!!

Sorry @rlhyde, if I understand correctly you have the car, and it is fine and has not died and stranded you, just it has not done for most owners here including myself, but you’re upset with Lucid and upset af the car and want them to “do something” about it? Enjoy the car man, enjoy retirement, try to stop yourself from dooming the whole thing. I’ve got 8,000 miles of dependable driving on it so far, thus far most glitches were software and nothing interfered with any trip. Is pointing out the fact that my new Mercedes went to the shop 4 times and died twice make me a Lucid fanboy? I understand the anxiety, you did just sign up to own the most heavily engineered year one design car on the planet, which will innately come with some anxiety and not be issue free. But maybe let yourself have a good time with the car and not get mad at Lucid unless the car does strand you or something?

Sorry @rlhyde, if I understand correctly you have the car, and it is fine and has not died and stranded you, just it has not done for most owners here including myself, but you’re upset with Lucid and upset af the car and want them to “do something” about it? Enjoy the car man, enjoy retirement, try to stop yourself from dooming the whole thing. I’ve got 8,000 miles of dependable driving on it so far, thus far most glitches were software and nothing interfered with any trip. Is pointing out the fact that my new Mercedes went to the shop 4 times and died twice make me a Lucid fanboy? I understand the anxiety, you did just sign up to own the most heavily engineered year one design car on the planet, which will innately come with some anxiety and not be issue free. But maybe let yourself have a good time with the car and not get mad at Lucid unless the car does strand you or something?
A big problem is people trying to extrapolate off of this forum for any of the more major issues. “Well there’s been 5 motor failures on this forum, out of blah blah production numbers, therefore we probably don’t know how many since not all people are coming to the forum.” That and as we’ve said numerous times, these forums will definitely play up the more defective issues. Someone is more likely to post that they had a failure of some component over saying that the car is flawless, which creates panic. I’ve got 6k miles with absolutely 0 hardware issues with the car. Unfortunately some people allow the panic to set in 🤷‍♂️, in which case, a first time company shouldn’t be those individuals choice for their one vehicle. This car has given me 0 concern for road trips, maybe it’s because I have a SC an hour away, idk, but Lucid hasn’t given me any reason not to trust that they have my safety as a concern.

A recall would require that there be a consistent issue; there hasn’t been a widespread consistent issue. When there is, like with the tow hook, they issue a recall.

A recall doesn’t mean “reinspect every car ever made for any potential problem it may or may not have.”

Also, every manufacturer has cars that fail. Our 2012 Kia Sorento had an engine recall that required a *complete* engine replacement. Of course, this recall only occurred after it was completely powerless and stranded on the highway, just like the Lucid 12v failures that have occurred.

Cars fail sometimes. To pretend otherwise is insane.
You constantly repeat the "not widespread" line with such authority that I conclude you must have inside info. So I believe you that the problem affects a small number of Airs. But if THAT'S the case wouldn't it be in Lucid's interest to say so publicly, and put a lot of people at ease?

You constantly repeat the "not widespread" line with such authority that I conclude you must have inside info. So I believe you that the problem affects a small number of Airs. But if THAT'S the case wouldn't it be in Lucid's interest to say so publicly, and put a lot of people at ease?
No, because that's just not what the status quo is right now for any company. Most recent example is Lucid's most recent recall. They found a WIDESPREAD issue and issued a recall because it could be traced back to a single point of failure. These issues with the 12v and turtle of doom's are apparently not a singular issue otherwise, there would be a recall. Just like the wire harness, the front suspension thing, the battery pack torque bolt campaign and now the tow hook adhesive recall. It's possible, they discover the issue comes down to a single batch of components, it's just not there yet or if ever.

No, because that's just not what the status quo is right now for any company. Most recent example is Lucid's most recent recall. They found a WIDESPREAD issue and issued a recall because it could be traced back to a single point of failure. These issues with the 12v and turtle of doom's are apparently not a singular issue otherwise, there would be a recall. Just like the wire harness, the front suspension thing, the battery pack torque bolt campaign and now the tow hook adhesive recall. It's possible, they discover the issue comes down to a single batch of components, it's just not there yet or if ever.
I didn't suggest a recall.

I don't even suggest a PR release.

But one of the employees who occasionally post here could do so again, and say something like "The total of all cars that have gone into turtle mode--regardless of cause--is only X% of all cars delivered to date".

The company needs to close a big capital raise in the next 6- 9 months and the stock hit an all-time low today. I would advise them to stave off all negativity about the car and the brand--especially when it's erroneous.

But one of the employees who occasionally post here could do so again, and say something like "The total of all cars that have gone into turtle mode--regardless of cause--is only X% of all cars delivered to date".

The company needs to close a big capital raise in the next 6- 9 months and the stock hit an all-time low today. I would advise them to stave off all negativity about the car and the brand--especially when it's erroneous.
And then what happens when that percentage they just told us goes up—or down—by a few percentage points a few weeks later?

For publicly traded companies, how and when they release information is very tricky business.

I would imagine that Lucid’s legal team gives the appropriate guidance on what statements are allowed for the public or more restricted forums. Regulations are complex and employees can’t just make statements , especially considering that the issues described may have more than a single cause.

All I know is I have no damn idea how to run a car company and I seriously doubt most of you do either.
What are you talking about? I thought all of us were 40-year veterans of the auto industry? Wasn't that a requirement for signing up?

Sorry to hear of continuing Turtle mode issues for those who have experienced them and those who are worried about trusting the vehicle.

Here is a simple question for Lucid if you are watching. All of these vehicles have multiple motors so if a failure is associated with a single unit why not allow for the vehicle to operate on the other motor for a certain time or distance. I assume this is something that has been looked at but it would certainly reduce my anxiety if I knew this was part of the Turtle Mode strategy.

An official employee saying anything, even on these forums, is considered a PR release.

I don’t have any inside knowledge. I do know how forums work, which is that people seek them out specifically when there are issues, and that there have been single digit reports here, on top of a lack of recall from a company that historically has had no problem issuing a recall even for much smaller issues. I can put two and two together. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Back