Traditional and Solar Power to Charge Your EV

MPawelek

Cars
None
I am considering having a traditional Type 2 charger installed in my garage to charge any EV I purchase but wonder how well solar panels here in sun country Texas might work also. I plan on both set ups.

Anyone in the group have solar or any ideas to share? Panels only or panels and storage battery? Thanks…

I am considering having a traditional Type 2 charger installed in my garage to charge any EV I purchase but wonder how well solar panels here in sun country Texas might work also. I plan on both set ups.

Anyone in the group have solar or any ideas to share? Panels only or panels and storage battery? Thanks…
This was my production on a sunny day in Socal. We have 46 panels and no battery storage because Edison socks about battery storage. Produces enough everyday to cover charging. Overnight I charge around 60 kwh, gives me around 180 miles.
Screenshot_20220221-183258_mySolarEdge.jpg

Considering the finite life span of solar panels do you think you will break even financially on the panels and installation or did you proceed just to be environmental.

Considering the finite life span of solar panels do you think you will break even financially on the panels and installation or did you proceed just to be environmental.
I should break even by year 6 according to the estimate of production.

I should break even by year 6 according to the estimate of production.
Remember you have 3 years comp from Electrify America. If they are close enough for occasional 30 minute runs, you may be able to hold off the solar panels while they get better and less costly?

My closest EA site is 22 miles one way and in a direction I do not drive so I will be charging at home mostly. I am just asking as solar interests me and I know little about the set up. I have read that Tesla storage batteries can be a pain and sometimes shut down if they cannot connect to the Mother Ship. I thought they were totally independent by themselves but appear to be part of some external system by way of cell towers.

Last edited:
My closest EA site is 22 miles one way and in a direction I do not drive so I will be charging at home mostly. I am just asking as solar interests me and I know little about the set up. I have read that Tesla storage batteries can be a pain and sometimes shut down if they cannot connect to the Mother Ship. I thought they were totally independent by themselves but appear to be part of some external system by way of cell towers.
Yep, a Level 2 home charger is in your future (waiting on mine to be installed, since no one knows when the Lucid charger will be available). A solar system primarily for charging the car might not be an optimally cost-efficient solution. But, if the house is well sited and you can use the solar generated power for other purposes, could be well worth it. Many elements to be considered. Good luck!

This was my production on a sunny day in Socal. We have 46 panels and no battery storage because Edison socks about battery storage. Produces enough everyday to cover charging. Overnight I charge around 60 kwh, gives me around 180 miles.
@hydbob , that is a massive system you have there (46 panels). Is it because you are a heavy user of electricity (multiple EVs)? Exporting power to the grid will not make you rich - that's the way NEM (net metering) is structured.

This was my production on a sunny day in Socal. We have 46 panels and no battery storage because Edison socks about battery storage
Wow, you are your own Electrical Company! Good for you. I have 27 panels (7.32 kWp) in SoCal and only average 1 MWh per month. However this meets all of my electrical needs plus generates excess back to the grid. I am going on my 4th year with an estimated 5 year break even point. I would definitely put in solar if you can get a good deal on the equipment and installation. I use a ChargePoint Flex and will use that for my GT at night.

@hydbob , that is a massive system you have there (46 panels). Is it because you are a heavy user of electricity (multiple EVs)? Exporting power to the grid will not make you rich - that's the way NEM (net metering) is structured.
Lol, yea, we use a lot. Last summer, from June-Aug, average bill is $750.

Lol, yea, we use a lot. Last summer, from June-Aug, average bill is $750.

Yeah, our house is similar. We have 55 panels, heh, and were at $700-800/mo before that.

Yeah, our house is similar. We have 55 panels, heh, and were at $700-800/mo before that.
Everyone here talks about the number of panels, but the real important metric is the total kW. I have a 32kW system, but don‘t know the number of panels.

Not to long ago, Tesla Solar came out and replaced all the panels, because one had failed. They installed newer & fewer higher capacity panels and still maintained the 32kW. The old panels were less than 5 years old. I had prepaid a 20 year solar lease and I have recouped my initial investment - 15 more years of free electricity.

The electric company monthly charges are about $20 for the use of their grid for net metering. This system provides all my electric needs and allows me to charge 3 cars for ‘free.’ Unfortunately, excess power is paid back at only $.04/kWh at the biannual TOU change - enough to cover the cost of loosing the accumulated kWh’s.

The wisdom of solar is partly predicated on your age. How do I say this gently? If you're an ‘older individual’ it’s very likely you’ll never recover the initial costs back.

Last edited:
I have a house in the lower Keys where I have 64 panels and 6 Tesla Powewalls. We at times have up to 3 EVs there at the same time and as long as we have good weather, we are able carefully manage the charging and not touch the grid. It takes a string of deep cloudy days to force us to buy off of the grid. In the summer with the house empty, we’ll often sell up to 70 kWh a day to the grid.

Everyone here talks about the number of panels, but the real important metric is the total kW. I have a 32kW system, but don‘t know the number of panels.

Not to long ago, Tesla Solar came out and replaced all the panels, because one had failed. They installed newer & fewer higher capacity panels and still maintained the 32kW. The old panels were less than 5 years old. I had prepaid a 20 year solar lease and I have recouped my initial investment - 15 more years of free electricity.

The electric company monthly charges are about $20 for the use of their grid for net metering. This system provides all my electric needs and allows me to charge 3 cars for ‘free.’ Unfortunately, excess power is paid back at only $.04/kWh at the biannual TOU change - enough to cover the cost of loosing the accumulated kWh’s.
I believe the system we have in is "only" a 21 kwh system. It was just installed with the newest panels from Panasonic, so right now, it's as "efficient" as it can be.

We”only” have a 5kW system. It was considered a good size back in 2004 when we installed it, but would be considered a tiny system by today’s standards. Back then we did not have AC (didn’t really need it by the SD coast) and electric cars were just some crazy idea. It provided about 90% of our needs. Even today with the AC and the Nissan Leaf, our electric bill for the entire year was about $600. it’s mainly because nearly all our power is the super-off peak and we are pumping the solar into the grid at higher daytime rates. When the panels need to be replaced, I expect I can double or Triple the size with the same footprint since the panels are now more efficient per sq foot of size Since 20 years ago. My investment has been recouped several times by now.

You’re right. Mine is a 22.7 kW system.

I have a client who told me about 7 years ago that she installed solar panels back in the 70s. I’m going to take that with a grain of salt because her memory isn’t great but even if she installed them in 1980, they’ve lasted her for 35+ years. I’ll check with the daughter to see if they are still working.

The wisdom of solar is partly predicated on your age. How do I say this gently? If you're an ‘older individual’ it’s very likely you’ll never recover the initial costs back.
I don't mind the not recovering bit it's the dead bit I have a problem with.:(

I have a client who told me about 7 years ago that she installed solar panels back in the 70s. I’m going to take that with a grain of salt because her memory isn’t great but even if she installed them in 1980, they’ve lasted her for 35+ years. I’ll check with the daughter to see if they are still working.

They also may work but be much less efficient.

Back