Traditional and Solar Power to Charge Your EV

Everyone here talks about the number of panels, but the real important metric is the total kW. I have a 32kW system, but don‘t know the number of panels.

Not to long ago, Tesla Solar came out and replaced all the panels, because one had failed. They installed newer & fewer higher capacity panels and still maintained the 32kW. The old panels were less than 5 years old. I had prepaid a 20 year solar lease and I have recouped my initial investment - 15 more years of free electricity.

The electric company monthly charges are about $20 for the use of their grid for net metering. This system provides all my electric needs and allows me to charge 3 cars for ‘free.’ Unfortunately, excess power is paid back at only $.04/kWh at the biannual TOU change - enough to cover the cost of loosing the accumulated kWh’s.

TEP must hate you. When you say 32kW, do you mean you generate that amount per hour?

TEP must hate you. When you say 32kW, do you mean you generate that amount per hour?
I don't know that they hate me, but it took them 4 months to approve the system. The power output of the panels is 32kW. So, yes, in one hour the theoretical maximum is 32kWh of energy. But this all varies by day of the month and weather.

I don't know that they hate me, but it took them 4 months to approve the system. The power output of the panels is 32kW. So, yes, in one hour the theoretical maximum is 32kWh of energy. But this all varies by day of the month and weather.

Yeah PG&E took *forever* to approve my ~23kW system. But also, on a *good* day in the summer I peak at like 16-17kW so there’s clearly some loss.

Back