To Order or Cancel?

I've always thought all that stuff included in the Teslas were a gimmick. How long are spending idling in your car?
I'm not going to admit I've gone out to the garage for a massage. I'm not going to admit I've gone out to the garage for a massage. I'm not going to admit I've gone out to the garage for a massage.

Shit. :p

I'm not going to admit I've gone out to the garage for a massage. I'm not going to admit I've gone out to the garage for a massage. I'm not going to admit I've gone out to the garage for a massage.

Shit. :p
Oh, the message feature - I actually kept on forgetting about it. I should try it out and see if it's still working.

Doesnt take long for me to lose! Usually when i take my wife to a drs appt and due to covid stuff they won’t let me come in. Good way to pass the time.

I placed my reservation for the Lucid just after Xmas. About 4 weeks ago, was told I could place my actual order and have it in about 2 months. So less than 6 months from reservation to delivery. I haven't checked recently, but prior checks for a LR Model S Tesla were saying August or September.

Yes, FSD Beta can scare the crap out of you. As someone posted, it's amazing on the highways. The Beta version is just cool to be a part of it. Lucid, still doesn't offer even lane assist, which has become standard on most mid-level and high-end cars. Naturally, what they're advertising it will be, it will be incredible, when they get there. But, as Tesla has demonstrated, it's not easy, so it will be a while before Lucid (and others) catch up. While not practical in all situations, I do like the fact that it's there and available to use when appropriate. Something that doesn't appear to be on the foreseeable horizon for Lucid at this time. Yes, Lucid has the hardware built-in for it to be superior. But, as of right now, Tesla still offers a far superior system. Part of the reason why I noted, maybe in 2-3 years after Lucid has grown and figured this stuff out, would be willing to reconsider. But, am talking about right now. Tesla's auto lane change and ability to follow navigation on its own, on the highway, is very usable. Using FSD on the streets is where it still has a long way to go. Lucid as of today, doesn't offer even lane keep assist yet. Will be a while before auto lane change is available. Again, comparing what the cars are today. In 2-3 years, should be a different story.

Hatch versus trunk is personal preference. I like the ability to be able to load taller items when needed, hence where the hatchback comes in handy.

Tesla superchargers can be busy if you travel during peak hours. I've learned to adjust my travel times and never have to wait. I assume that as there are now several EV's coming to market, EA will start getting crowded as well. Plus, while maybe a small sample size as people only comment when something goes wrong, but have heard quite a few more stories of public chargers having issues. Again, will of course improve with time.

Smart summon is a feature that is not perfect, absolutely. But, there are times when it comes in quite handy. As with FSD, certainly prefer to have the option to use than not have it at all. I am one that's courteous and will not use it in a crowded parking lot, out of respect for others.

The 500 mile range will certainly come in handy for those that regularly long distance travel. Especially if your trip is right around 400 miles and allows you to not have to stop at all. My bladder usually won't go 400 miles anyway, so, even if I could, would still likely be stopping anyway on a trip of 300 miles or longer. Again, for my personal use, I would only benefit from it maybe a couple of times a year. And if I have to stop anyway to use the restroom, using a supercharger for 10-15 minutes isn't much of an inconvenience. Again, based on my personal use case.

One noted that the Tesla air suspension is rigid. I've had multiple Tesla's. I would agree with the pre-2019 models. However, when I got my 2019, the RAVEN air suspension was a MASSIVE improvement. Car rides much better than on previous version of Tesla's air suspension. Plus with the driving I do, I am often in situations where it really comes in handy to be able to raise the car up for clearance. Again, based on my personal use needs.

I do really like the Lucid and while Tesla certainly lacks in terms of build quality and luxury features, as I noted, still drives like a premium car. Personally however, the Mercedes blows away the Lucid in terms of just "luxury". Even the Cadillac Lyric is arguably superior, and for only $60,000. Lucid is certainly superior to Tesla, but they still took a fairly minimalist approach. I will say, the massage seats alone however, were almost enough to convince me to go with the Lucid!! Do love that feature!

For me, it just came down to what the cars are TODAY. Tesla, overall, with all factors considered, is still ahead. They've had a 9 year head start. Tesla is also more bold in releasing "beta" features, which while not necessarily ready for prime time, if used properly and with reasonable expectations of their limitations, are cool to have. Again, certainly like have the OPTION to use the features rather than not having the option. The LUCID is certainly a nicer car, better build quality and blew away Tesla with range. It will eventually catch up in the areas where it is behind. At that time, will be more than happy to consider it again. By then, there will likely be several other options available too. For more money, with more doubtful resale value, for my personal use, as much as I wanted to do something different than a Tesla, for today, after having been spoiled with the features it does offer, just not willing to give those up. For my personal use, what I gain from the Lucid doesn't outweigh what I would be giving up, at least for now. Not a knock on Lucid. Beautiful car. Far superior to the first Tesla 9 years ago. If the choice was between a Lucid and the first Tesla offered, would be a no brainer. Maybe even with any pre-2019 Tesla. From first-hand experience, the 2019 Tesla is definitely a superior car to the 2018 in terms of ride quality and build quality.

The Rivian truck is a different category, but should be very successful for the same reason Tesla was successful. Nobody has set the bar yet in the Truck category. I was able to drive the Rivian, very attractive vehicle overall (not saying in looks, but in its capability overall). But, its UI is mostly a Tesla knockoff, yet an earlier version of the Tesla. They copied the UI from several years ago while Tesla has continued to advance. But, being a truck, it should do very well.

The Cadillac Lyric at $60,000 seems like a bargain. GM, being a huge company, has the capability to get parts / materials at lower costs because of their overall volume. Same reason they can offer the Corvette at $60,000. The Lyric would be a no-brainer if I was considering it between a non-performance Model Y. Tesla has most beat in the "performance" category, but, that's not all that important to a large majority of buyers. The Caddy offers competitive range, far more luxury, losing only in the Performance categories. But, some prefer the minimalist interior of the Tesla. I don't love it. I still prefer a car that's USER friendly. I appreciate having physical buttons for items we use multiple times a day, rather than having to fumble through a screen to control everything! That's one of the big negatives for me with a Tesla.

I haven’t read anyone say a reason they favor Tesla is the in-car entertainment (games, etc) on the big screen. Does anyone use / like that? Heaven knows they’ve built out that feature. I admit I’m a nerd and enjoy playing a quick game of chess anytime I find myself waiting in the car…before that feature I hadn’t played chess in decades. it’s one little thing I’ll miss when i get out of my MS.
My 6 year old grandson adores the farting feature. He’ll go for a drive with me anytime! Too bad I’m giving it to his mom. I’ll keep the Lucid.

If you order right now, the Lucid would deliver much quicker than a Tesla!
So if I order one now, I can get it delivered faster than the one I reserved A year ago? if so, I might do it. Lol

So if I order one now, I can get it delivered faster than the one I reserved A year ago? if so, I might do it. Lol
I'm sure a lot of it has to do with your location. Typically, they will favor pre-orders in areas where they have service centers to service the vehicle. Thus, someone in L.A. that ordered is likely to get their car sooner than someone over 1,000 miles from a service center.

Bay Area too

it is absolutely one of the top 5 reasons I didn’t want a Tesla

run of the mill … and apparently a lot of them are driven by numpties
Not in Ohio. I have a refresh Model S and have only seen a couple in Ohio. Still a rare car. Model 3 and Model Y more, but still such a small amount compared to other cars.

Why do you keep posting the same questions in different strings?

Why do you keep posting the same questions in different strings?
Maybe some new posts with a sticky?

Grand Touring Standard Equipment
Touring Standard Equipment
Pure Standard Equipment

Might be helpful for people to see and then keep the discussions in those threads. They're probably in here already but buried somewhere :)

As much as a I tried to convince myself, just couldn't get there at this time. Went ahead and finally cancelled my order for now. As Tesla did, I'm certain Lucid will continue to improve over time. For now though, Tesla's experience does win out.

My reasons for deciding to cancel at this time....
1. AP / FSD is one of the features that is near the top of my must have list. Lucid appears to have a ways to go.
2. While Lucid's 500 mile range is GREAT, it's something I wouldn't benefit from more than a couple of times per year based on my person driving needs.
2.5 Tesla's supercharger network simply can't be beat at this time. 400 miles in range vs. 500 miles in range alone isn't beneficial enough for my personal use of the vehicle.
3. I truly appreciate the adjustable suspension, including ride height adjustments I have with Tesla's air suspension.
4. I do prefer the hatchback over the trunk. Lucid almost offsets that with its far superior frunk.
5. I do appreciate the smart summon feature Tesla has. Some day, I'm sure Lucid may offer the same.

The Lucid is certainly a better looking car. It ranks higher in terms of Luxury, but doesn't rise to the level of a Mercedes. And just not enough superior to the Tesla to move the needle far enough. Model S LR is around $100K. Lucid at $140K. in my own mind, what Lucid offers, would justify about a $20K premium over the Tesla, but that's before calculating the sacrifices I'd also have to make with a Lucid (AP, charging network, less advanced & developed UI due to Tesla's 9 year head start, etc) While I'm not a fan of Tesla's new interior, the Model S still drives like a premium car. After spending 9 years going through the growing pains with Tesla, not sure I want to start over with a new company. I've just come to appreciate the features Tesla offers that Lucid isn't able to offer quite yet.

My other concern was overall demand and resale potential. Tesla, despite being 9 years experienced and building around 1,000,000 cars per year, still has a longer wait time from Reservation to Delivery than does Lucid. The fact that a new startup company is able to deliver cars so quickly is an indication of lower demand. Have also seen a few try to sell them with no action, while Tesla used cars are selling like hot cakes. A $100K Tesla probably won't lose more than 30% in 3 years. Early indications are that the Lucid will decline more in value from its higher price point.

The Lucid is a great car and the first to seriously get me to consider making a switch from Tesla, which I've wanted to do for quite some time. Unfortunately, just too soon to make the switch based on where each car is at.

I certainly wish Lucid the best and will definitely keep my eye on them. Possibly will reconsider as Lucid catches up.
As a Tesla Owner since tesla's year one model S, and a current DEP and Plaid owner. If you truly love to drive then the Lucid has no equal. People that enjoy driving don't care about much else. I am still waiting for someone to say that they picked the model S over the Lucid because the S's driving dynamics are superior.

I like cars first and foremost. The Lucid is the only EV with range, performance, and quality for me. I’m super impressed with Tesla as a company, the vehicles are not for me.

As a Tesla Owner since tesla's year one model S, and a current DEP and Plaid owner. If you truly love to drive then the Lucid has no equal. People that enjoy driving don't care about much else. I am still waiting for someone to say that they picked the model S over the Lucid because the S's driving dynamics are superior.
But 0-60 in 1.99 seconds!!!!!

There are so many EVs with performance that is just silly and or dangerous for public roads. Of course if Lucid introduces a three motor car I’ll put in an order and trade my DE performance. 😂

I placed my reservation for the Lucid just after Xmas. About 4 weeks ago, was told I could place my actual order and have it in about 2 months. So less than 6 months from reservation to delivery. I haven't checked recently, but prior checks for a LR Model S Tesla were saying August or September.

Yes, FSD Beta can scare the crap out of you. As someone posted, it's amazing on the highways. The Beta version is just cool to be a part of it. Lucid, still doesn't offer even lane assist, which has become standard on most mid-level and high-end cars. Naturally, what they're advertising it will be, it will be incredible, when they get there. But, as Tesla has demonstrated, it's not easy, so it will be a while before Lucid (and others) catch up. While not practical in all situations, I do like the fact that it's there and available to use when appropriate. Something that doesn't appear to be on the foreseeable horizon for Lucid at this time. Yes, Lucid has the hardware built-in for it to be superior. But, as of right now, Tesla still offers a far superior system. Part of the reason why I noted, maybe in 2-3 years after Lucid has grown and figured this stuff out, would be willing to reconsider. But, am talking about right now. Tesla's auto lane change and ability to follow navigation on its own, on the highway, is very usable. Using FSD on the streets is where it still has a long way to go. Lucid as of today, doesn't offer even lane keep assist yet. Will be a while before auto lane change is available. Again, comparing what the cars are today. In 2-3 years, should be a different story.

Hatch versus trunk is personal preference. I like the ability to be able to load taller items when needed, hence where the hatchback comes in handy.

Tesla superchargers can be busy if you travel during peak hours. I've learned to adjust my travel times and never have to wait. I assume that as there are now several EV's coming to market, EA will start getting crowded as well. Plus, while maybe a small sample size as people only comment when something goes wrong, but have heard quite a few more stories of public chargers having issues. Again, will of course improve with time.

Smart summon is a feature that is not perfect, absolutely. But, there are times when it comes in quite handy. As with FSD, certainly prefer to have the option to use than not have it at all. I am one that's courteous and will not use it in a crowded parking lot, out of respect for others.

The 500 mile range will certainly come in handy for those that regularly long distance travel. Especially if your trip is right around 400 miles and allows you to not have to stop at all. My bladder usually won't go 400 miles anyway, so, even if I could, would still likely be stopping anyway on a trip of 300 miles or longer. Again, for my personal use, I would only benefit from it maybe a couple of times a year. And if I have to stop anyway to use the restroom, using a supercharger for 10-15 minutes isn't much of an inconvenience. Again, based on my personal use case.

One noted that the Tesla air suspension is rigid. I've had multiple Tesla's. I would agree with the pre-2019 models. However, when I got my 2019, the RAVEN air suspension was a MASSIVE improvement. Car rides much better than on previous version of Tesla's air suspension. Plus with the driving I do, I am often in situations where it really comes in handy to be able to raise the car up for clearance. Again, based on my personal use needs.

I do really like the Lucid and while Tesla certainly lacks in terms of build quality and luxury features, as I noted, still drives like a premium car. Personally however, the Mercedes blows away the Lucid in terms of just "luxury". Even the Cadillac Lyric is arguably superior, and for only $60,000. Lucid is certainly superior to Tesla, but they still took a fairly minimalist approach. I will say, the massage seats alone however, were almost enough to convince me to go with the Lucid!! Do love that feature!

For me, it just came down to what the cars are TODAY. Tesla, overall, with all factors considered, is still ahead. They've had a 9 year head start. Tesla is also more bold in releasing "beta" features, which while not necessarily ready for prime time, if used properly and with reasonable expectations of their limitations, are cool to have. Again, certainly like have the OPTION to use the features rather than not having the option. The LUCID is certainly a nicer car, better build quality and blew away Tesla with range. It will eventually catch up in the areas where it is behind. At that time, will be more than happy to consider it again. By then, there will likely be several other options available too. For more money, with more doubtful resale value, for my personal use, as much as I wanted to do something different than a Tesla, for today, after having been spoiled with the features it does offer, just not willing to give those up. For my personal use, what I gain from the Lucid doesn't outweigh what I would be giving up, at least for now. Not a knock on Lucid. Beautiful car. Far superior to the first Tesla 9 years ago. If the choice was between a Lucid and the first Tesla offered, would be a no brainer. Maybe even with any pre-2019 Tesla. From first-hand experience, the 2019 Tesla is definitely a superior car to the 2018 in terms of ride quality and build quality.

The Rivian truck is a different category, but should be very successful for the same reason Tesla was successful. Nobody has set the bar yet in the Truck category. I was able to drive the Rivian, very attractive vehicle overall (not saying in looks, but in its capability overall). But, its UI is mostly a Tesla knockoff, yet an earlier version of the Tesla. They copied the UI from several years ago while Tesla has continued to advance. But, being a truck, it should do very well.

The Cadillac Lyric at $60,000 seems like a bargain. GM, being a huge company, has the capability to get parts / materials at lower costs because of their overall volume. Same reason they can offer the Corvette at $60,000. The Lyric would be a no-brainer if I was considering it between a non-performance Model Y. Tesla has most beat in the "performance" category, but, that's not all that important to a large majority of buyers. The Caddy offers competitive range, far more luxury, losing only in the Performance categories. But, some prefer the minimalist interior of the Tesla. I don't love it. I still prefer a car that's USER friendly. I appreciate having physical buttons for items we use multiple times a day, rather than having to fumble through a screen to control everything! That's one of the big negatives for me with a Tesla.

Actually, the AWD version of the Lyric is my backup plan if Lucid doesn't/can't get its act together. The AWD version is estimated to have 500 HP, similar to the Pure. I figure by the time Cadillac gets to me so will Lucid. I also figure that having a legacy manufacturer as a backup is a good idea. Like many, I do remember Fisker.

There are so many EVs with performance that is just silly and or dangerous for public roads. Of course if Lucid introduces a three motor car I’ll put in an order and trade my DE performance. 😂
Recently did a survey of the cars I kept the longest. It turns out I kept a manual 2001 BMW M5 for 9 years and a NSX for 5 years. I usually never keep a car pass the warranty period and most cars are sold after two years of ownership. I am lucky to have "friends in the business", so I have driven almost every car that exists. Looking back I believe both these cars were best in class, a hoot to drive, and as I recall very reliable. There are cars, other family members love, that I have never warmed up to. I have driven every Lexus but never had a desire to own one. Same goes for Nissan. The EV world brought the 0-60 times to sport car territory, but the extra battery weight killed the driving dynamics. In My experience, there are only three companies that offer EVs with driving dynamics that manage the weight well enough to make driving fun. Porsche Taycan, with a multi air bag chamber system, Lucid Air with a well sorted but very expensive suspension set up, and Rivian with a McLaren style hydraulic system. I can't wait to see the specs of the Pure. A 30 % weight reduction, and a RWD, will make it an even better driver's EV than it already is. I may have to wait for a Lucid air owner to total their DE or GT, so I can grab the A/C seats (must have in South Florida) on eBay.

Actually, the AWD version of the Lyric is my backup plan if Lucid doesn't/can't get its act together. The AWD version is estimated to have 500 HP, similar to the Pure. I figure by the time Cadillac gets to me so will Lucid. I also figure that having a legacy manufacturer as a backup is a good idea. Like many, I do remember Fisker.
I owned a Fisker Karma. For some unknown reason the Fisker Forum members became comrades and a lot of us stuck it out for several years pass the bankruptcy. I would not trust driving the car more than a few miles from the house. Sold it three years later with very few miles on the clock. A large number has managed to keep them on the road.

Back