To Order or Cancel?

The problem is that, in Denver where I live, Teslas have become ubiquitous. They are EVERYWHERE. Stop at a stoplight and there is a 50-50 chance that there is a Tesla in front, behind, or next to you. Go to the mall to the Supercharger and all 24 bays are filled, always. And they all look pretty similar, and are in only a few colors. What was once quite fun --having the only bizarre car in town that no one had ever seen before-- has become the opposite: Now I just have the exact same car as everyone else. Dropping the kids off at school, I am typically in a line of 3-4 Teslas, all exactly the same color as mine (grey). I was never the type to drive the world's most common car, so it has become disappointing to drive the same car as all my neighbors, 2 of my partners, etc. I sense that the OP feels the same way.
Yes! In San Diego the Teslas are more than ubiquitous, especially white model 3s. They are everywhere. In my community, every 4th house or so has a Tesla. I don’t think I can stop at a stoplight and not see at least 1 Tesla near me. They might be more prevalent in SD than the Nissan Altima and Honda Accord, combined. They used to have some cachet, but now are just another run of the mill car.

Yes! In San Diego the Teslas are more than ubiquitous, especially white model 3s. They are everywhere. In my community, every 4th house or so has a Tesla. I don’t think I can stop at a stoplight and not see at least 1 Tesla near me. They might be more prevalent in SD than the Nissan Altima and Honda Accord, combined. They used to have some cachet, but now are just another run of the mill car.
Bay Area too

it is absolutely one of the top 5 reasons I didn’t want a Tesla

run of the mill … and apparently a lot of them are driven by numpties

Bay Area too

it is absolutely one of the top 5 reasons I didn’t want a Tesla

run of the mill … and apparently a lot of them are driven by numpties
What are numpties?

I don’t understand all the talk about the trunk. I have fit both a stroller *and* a bike back there. You just have to be careful and thoughtful. Maybe it’s because I’ve only ever driven sedans and never owned a hatchback (can’t stand the look).

This thing has more usable space than any sedan I’ve ever owned.
I see your point - I was merely answering the OP’s inquiry, and this comparing the trunk of the Air to the trunk of the MS. I agree that the Air has a spacious trunk for a sedan…but the MS is a hatchback and has dramatically more.

I suppose you’ve never driven in southern california 😏

As much as a I tried to convince myself, just couldn't get there at this time. Went ahead and finally cancelled my order for now. As Tesla did, I'm certain Lucid will continue to improve over time. For now though, Tesla's experience does win out.

My reasons for deciding to cancel at this time....
1. AP / FSD is one of the features that is near the top of my must have list. Lucid appears to have a ways to go.
2. While Lucid's 500 mile range is GREAT, it's something I wouldn't benefit from more than a couple of times per year based on my person driving needs.
2.5 Tesla's supercharger network simply can't be beat at this time. 400 miles in range vs. 500 miles in range alone isn't beneficial enough for my personal use of the vehicle.
3. I truly appreciate the adjustable suspension, including ride height adjustments I have with Tesla's air suspension.
4. I do prefer the hatchback over the trunk. Lucid almost offsets that with its far superior frunk.
5. I do appreciate the smart summon feature Tesla has. Some day, I'm sure Lucid may offer the same.

The Lucid is certainly a better looking car. It ranks higher in terms of Luxury, but doesn't rise to the level of a Mercedes. And just not enough superior to the Tesla to move the needle far enough. Model S LR is around $100K. Lucid at $140K. in my own mind, what Lucid offers, would justify about a $20K premium over the Tesla, but that's before calculating the sacrifices I'd also have to make with a Lucid (AP, charging network, less advanced & developed UI due to Tesla's 9 year head start, etc) While I'm not a fan of Tesla's new interior, the Model S still drives like a premium car. After spending 9 years going through the growing pains with Tesla, not sure I want to start over with a new company. I've just come to appreciate the features Tesla offers that Lucid isn't able to offer quite yet.

My other concern was overall demand and resale potential. Tesla, despite being 9 years experienced and building around 1,000,000 cars per year, still has a longer wait time from Reservation to Delivery than does Lucid. The fact that a new startup company is able to deliver cars so quickly is an indication of lower demand. Have also seen a few try to sell them with no action, while Tesla used cars are selling like hot cakes. A $100K Tesla probably won't lose more than 30% in 3 years. Early indications are that the Lucid will decline more in value from its higher price point.

The Lucid is a great car and the first to seriously get me to consider making a switch from Tesla, which I've wanted to do for quite some time. Unfortunately, just too soon to make the switch based on where each car is at.

I certainly wish Lucid the best and will definitely keep my eye on them. Possibly will reconsider as Lucid catches up.

As much as a I tried to convince myself, just couldn't get there at this time. Went ahead and finally cancelled my order for now. As Tesla did, I'm certain Lucid will continue to improve over time. For now though, Tesla's experience does win out.

1. AP / FSD is one of the features that is near the top of my must have list. Lucid appears to have a ways to go.
2. While Lucid's 500 mile range is GREAT, it's something I wouldn't benefit from more than a couple of times per year based on my person driving needs.
2.5 Tesla's supercharger network simply can't be beat at this time. 400 miles in range vs. 500 miles in range alone isn't beneficial enough for my personal use of the vehicle.
3. I truly appreciate the adjustable suspension, including ride height adjustments I have with Tesla's air suspension.
4. I do prefer the hatchback over the trunk. Lucid almost offsets that with its far superior frunk.
5. I do appreciate the smart summon feature Tesla has. Some day, I'm sure Lucid may offer the same.

The Lucid is certainly a better looking car. It ranks higher in terms of Luxury, but doesn't rise to the level of a Mercedes. And just not enough superior to the Tesla to move the needle far enough. Model S LR is around $100K. Lucid at $140K. in my own mind, what Lucid offers, would justify about a $20K premium over the Tesla, but that's before calculating the sacrifices I'd also have to make with a Lucid (AP, charging network, less advanced & developed UI due to Tesla's 9 year head start, etc) While I'm not a fan of Tesla's new interior, the Model S still drives like a premium car. After spending 9 years going through the growing pains with Tesla, not sure I want to start over with a new company. I've just come to appreciate the features Tesla offers that Lucid isn't able to offer quite yet.

My other concern was overall demand and resale potential. Tesla, despite being 9 years experienced and building around 1,000,000 cars per year, still has a longer wait time from Reservation to Delivery than does Lucid. The fact that a new startup company is able to deliver cars so quickly is an indication of lower demand. Have also seen a few try to sell them with no action, while Tesla used cars are selling like hot cakes. A $100K Tesla probably won't lose more than 30% in 3 years. Early indications are that the Lucid will decline more in value from its higher price point.

The Lucid is a great car and the first to seriously get me to consider making a switch from Tesla, which I've wanted to do for quite some time. Unfortunately, just too soon to make the switch based on where each car is at.

I certainly wish Lucid the best and will definitely keep my eye on them. Possibly will reconsider as Lucid catches up.
I think a more fair comparison would be the Model S LR to the Touring. Add typical options for the Model S and the Touring (including FSD and Dream Drive Pro) and the Tesla is at 115K while the Lucid is at about 111K (and 104K after possible tax credit). For me, the exterior and especially the interior of the Lucid far outweighs any transient software/charging benefits of the Tesla.

I won’t argue with your decision. After all the car has to suit your needs. I do have comments on a couple of things Though.
  1. Don’t agree that the Tesla super charging network is a significant advantage. Yes, it is built out and the units generally work, but with the number of Teslas, those stations have become overburdened resulting in waits. Would rather have the longer range and find a station I can pop in and pop out, especially with Lucid’s faster charging speed.
  2. Don’t agree that Lucid delivers faster. If I had placed an order with Tesla the same time I confirmed my order with Lucid, I would have the Tesla by now or at least a firm delivery date. Meanwhile, I am still waiting for a VIN assignment.

1. Legitimate question: have you tested the FSD on a Tesla? I've driven with it for a few hours and still cannot get comfortable with trusting it, as it seems to regularly pick the center of roads without lanes (as opposed to hanging right), short-stop on turns, nearly hit a trash can, misplace a biker into our lane (thus short-stopping and tossing everyone forward in their seats), etc. And this was 3 weeks ago. The AP equivalent (Highway Assist) is coming this year, but not there yet, to be fair.
2. Fair
2.5. I agree the Supercharger network is great, but I have to say EA has been fantastic in my experience. I haven't actually had to use any of the other charging networks because EA has been super fast and relatively empty every time I've tried to use it. Maybe I've just been lucky.
3. Agreed somewhat - I prefer Lucid's coil suspension in terms of how it *feels*, but I have to say the ride height adjustments are missed. I worried a lot less about scraping the nose in a driveway with an air suspension.
4. Taste! I hate hatchbacks, but lots of legitimate reasons to love them. To each their own :)
5. I've never used it; would be curious if it works well. The one time I've seen it used, it was driving *incredibly slowly* through a parking lot with a line of cars behind it that were *very upset* at it for crawling haha. But again: I've never actually used it.

One point: Lucids that haven't sold have been marked up significantly above MSRP. Somewhat above MSRP, they still sell like hotcakes, but lots of folks are trying to cash in on a significant markup above MSRP. I don't think anyone knows enough about how Lucids will retain their value.

This isn't to bash Tesla, as I think the Model S is a great car (minus the yoke), and the Model 3 is fantastic too - I almost went for a Model S Plaid before I found the Lucid. Just a really interesting comparison.

I'm glad you made the choice you're happiest with! :)

I think you can't go wrong with either Lucid or Tesla - along with Rivian, all are fantastic EVs and offer superior "EV experience" compared to ones from ICE makers. As a current Tesla owner (and waiting for GT and R1S), couple of observations:

- The FSD is so premature (I had a near head-on incident with it. One of the scariest experiences I've had in any car). With Tesla's insistence on using cameras only, I don't know when/if it will be true FSD. As for AP, after a couple of phantom-brake incidents, we decided not to use it again til Tesla confirm the fix.
- Same with auto summon simply a party trick.
- We don't use the supercharger that much (a few times a year). But of the last two times we stopped by (one in Cabazon, the other in Taejon), there was a long line waiting (the one in Cabazon was 20 car length!). With Tesla cranking out even more cars, I don't think the situation will get any better. EA is in it infancy - but with the CSS standard, I think any EV w/ CSS will have a MUCH better-charging capability/availability a few years from now. Moreover, if Tesla open up their supercharger to other EVs for the gov tax credit, then all EVs will get to enjoy the expanded charging network.
- The current situation, where a used Tesla (or just about used-any-car) can sell near or above its new MSRP shall pass once the supply chain issues are worked out. All will eventually depreciate badly, as they were few years ago.

Among my extended family, there're 23 Teslas (see pix when we gathered at our grandma house). Many of us reserved the Lucid & Rivian after checking it out (basically, we ordered the cars based on the perceived build quality - much better compared to our Teslas). My aunt and uncle also canceled their orders for S and X after checking out the yoke !!! So once their current leases are up, they'll switch to Lucid and Rivian as well.

tqg3Ut9.jpg

Last edited:

I can so relate to this post. In the same boat with a Tesla MS LR, and a confirmed order for an AGT (without having even seen one in person yet). Figure the deciding factor will be when I finally get that test drive at the Short Hills, NJ location (*hint* Lucid, if you are watching). Plan to have both cars next to each other, and do a side-by-side comparison.

1. Totally agree with you. While FSD is terrifying, AP on the highway is awesome. Have really enjoyed long road trips using AP, especially on a highway in heavy stop-and-go traffic (like heading to the shore on a weekend). This is a big ding for Lucid, now. But....with more advanced hardware, isn't it just a matter of time until Lucid updates the software and then surpasses Tesla?

2. Disagree. For us, a 6-hour roadtrip is doable without needing a pit stop (and our old ICE car did it in one tank of gas). Unfortunately, that's right at the top end of the MS range, so we've had to stop for a recharge. Hoping that with 500 miles of range, we're back to no pit stops.

3. Tough call. The adjustable height comes in handy - potholes, driveways, snow, etc. But man the MS ride is harsh for such an expensive car. I'm hoping that the AGT has a noticeably smoother ride, and from others' posts in this forum it seems like it will.

4. I agree with you, but the upcoming roof rack for the AGT might offset that. Upper/lower trunks + upper/lower frunks + roof rack will definitely be more storage space than the MS.

5. Totally agree with you. Comes in handy in a parking lot when it is raining or snowing. We've had the MS come pick us up a few times and saved ourselves from getting soaked. But again....isn't it just a matter of time until Lucid updates the software?

Net-net, I'm hoping that after the test drive I conclude that the ride, hardware, and finishes on the Lucid are all better, there's the potential for it to be overall better in the near future with a few software updates and accessories. If that's the case, then I think it makes sense to buy now - can get a great price on the used MS, and the top-end EV manufacturers seem to be in a battle to raise prices quicker so it will cost more to wait and buy the AGT later.

I won’t argue with your decision. After all the car has to suit your needs. I do have comments on a couple of things Though.
  1. Don’t agree that the Tesla super charging network is a significant advantage. Yes, it is built out and the units generally work, but with the number of Teslas, those stations have become overburdened resulting in waits. Would rather have the longer range and find a station I can pop in and pop out, especially with Lucid’s faster charging speed.
  2. Don’t agree that Lucid delivers faster. If I had placed an order with Tesla the same time I confirmed my order with Lucid, I would have the Tesla by now or at least a firm delivery date. Meanwhile, I am still waiting for a VIN assignment.
If you order right now, the Lucid would deliver much quicker than a Tesla!

I think with Lucid announcement that they are officially using Nvidia for their autonomous driving, that they will surpass Tesla.

With the range of the AGT, the charging network is not an advantage to me at all.

I think with Lucid announcement that they are officially using Nvidia for their autonomous driving, that they will surpass Tesla.

With the range of the AGT, the charging network is not an advantage to me at all.
The Adaptive Cruise Control is already honestly spectacular. It has yet to terrify me, ever.

Once they add the lane centering and lane change assist (which all bundle to be called "Highway Assist") later this year, I'm quite confident it will meet or beat AP on a Tesla.

I actually like the fact that they're not focused on doing FSD in a city immediately; having driven with Tesla's, it's legitimately terrifying at times.

I haven’t read anyone say a reason they favor Tesla is the in-car entertainment (games, etc) on the big screen. Does anyone use / like that? Heaven knows they’ve built out that feature. I admit I’m a nerd and enjoy playing a quick game of chess anytime I find myself waiting in the car…before that feature I hadn’t played chess in decades. it’s one little thing I’ll miss when i get out of my MS.

I've always thought all that stuff included in the Teslas were a gimmick. How long are spending idling in your car?

Back