to charge or not to charge, that is the question...

Good idea but remember that the last 20% charging rate is slower for all BEVs. So don't expect to see it filling up quickly.
I agree, but I just want to put it on my home charger for a few minutes when the delivery staff is there to check to see that everything seems to be charging properly (even if slowly at that battery fill point).

If this has been asked and answered, I apologize...but what mode and pattern of charging will yield the best battery longevity? I would think level 3 rapid charging puts more strain on the battery. But do small frequent charges have any effect on battery memory? Is it perhaps better to let it fall to 20% and then level 2 charge to 80% over night for battery health?

Engineers..what say you?
Suggest you go to the InsideEV website where they did a charging comparison on a Dream with a 150KW charger and a 350 KW charger. The bottom line was that the 350KW charger was faster when the SOC is low, but when you get to 50% SOC then there is little difference in charging time to 80% charge. They even have a graph showing this. Not much info on battery degradation, but as you move up to a higher SOC the it is slower and more energy goes to heat that to electricity. That's why it takes longer to go from 80% SOC to 100% SOC since more energy go to heat, and excessive heat is bad for batteries.

If this has been asked and answered, I apologize...but what mode and pattern of charging will yield the best battery longevity? I would think level 3 rapid charging puts more strain on the battery. But do small frequent charges have any effect on battery memory? Is it perhaps better to let it fall to 20% and then level 2 charge to 80% over night for battery health?

Engineers..what say you?
Leave the battery at 50% state of charge (SOC) in a cool room, and it'll last more or less forever without degradation. That's why everything you buy that contains a lithium battery arrives half-charged. Move away from 50% in either direction, and over time, the battery will age and will be able to store less charge. If you keep the battery in the range of 20-80% SOC, it'll age but at a reasonable rate - say 10% capacity loss over 10 years of normal use. 20-80% is a reasonable compromise with usability/readiness if you want to own the car for a long time. People who lease their EVs for a few years often don't care about this (or the next owner?) and charge to 100% every day because a fully charged car provides the most utility for them. Frequent DC fast charging degrades the battery somewhat quicker, around twice as fast as no DC fast charging. Occasional DC fast charging for road trips is fine and is part of the intended use case of the car. The other thing to try to avoid is leaving the car at 100% SOC for very long, particularly in hot weather.

We have always been told that constant fast charging will degrade the battery pack faster than the lower level 2 charging. In my experience this hasn’t been true. My current 2019 MS has unlimited supercharging and I have almost exclusively charged with them for 3 years. Easily 95% done on fast charging. I have only lost 10 miles of RR in that time frame. With an effective battery cooling system you can expect better battery life off fast charging than years past.
I’ve also been a 90% charger for the entire life of the car and will continue to with the Air. Frequently charging to 100% will be a bigger battery killer imo - as you approach a full charge, there is less space to push those electrons - which is why charging time increases when charging to 100%.
In summary - charge how you wish. Tech and cooling has improved substantially to keep your pack cool enough. You also have a pretty robust battery warranty with this car, hopefully it never has to be used, but there’s that!
I asked this same question to my delivery advisor and a service advisor. Both said do not rely on routine fast charging due to battery degradation over time. It is a thermal problem. Massive amount of heat with the 350kw charging compared to slow charging. There is not a lot of research I could find.Best article I can find: https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/vehiclebatteries/FastChargeEffects.pdf. I am not an engineer. The difference appears to be small but Lucid may know more and their batteries are different than in 2015.

Suggest you go to the InsideEV website where they did a charging comparison on a Dream with a 150KW charger and a 350 KW charger. The bottom line was that the 350KW charger was faster when the SOC is low, but when you get to 50% SOC then there is little difference in charging time to 80% charge. They even have a graph showing this. Not much info on battery degradation, but as you move up to a higher SOC the it is slower and more energy goes to heat that to electricity. That's why it takes longer to go from 80% SOC to 100% SOC since more energy go to heat, and excessive heat is bad for batteries.

State of Charge also did an excellent comparison between 150 and 350 charging:

Spoiler alert; unless you really need to charge and dash, the difference between the two is not super substantial:

Greenshot 2022-04-25 17.11.14.png

Leave the battery at 50% state of charge (SOC) in a cool room, and it'll last more or less forever without degradation. That's why everything you buy that contains a lithium battery arrives half-charged. Move away from 50% in either direction, and over time, the battery will age and will be able to store less charge. If you keep the battery in the range of 20-80% SOC, it'll age but at a reasonable rate - say 10% capacity loss over 10 years of normal use. 20-80% is a reasonable compromise with usability/readiness if you want to own the car for a long time. People who lease their EVs for a few years often don't care about this (or the next owner?) and charge to 100% every day because a fully charged car provides the most utility for them. Frequent DC fast charging degrades the battery somewhat quicker, around twice as fast as no DC fast charging. Occasional DC fast charging for road trips is fine and is part of the intended use case of the car. The other thing to try to avoid is leaving the car at 100% SOC for very long, particularly in hot weather.
Does this mean that if you have your own charger in your garage and could set it up such that the longer it provides amps, the less amps it'd provide per hour, the battery would last longer?

Does this mean that if you have your own charger in your garage and could set it up such that the longer it provides amps, the less amps it'd provide per hour, the battery would last longer?
It is all in thermal management of the battery and overall state of charge. Slower charging heats the battery less which is why L2 charging is better for the battery. Keeping the batteries closer to 50% and not storing them at the extremes also helps the battery. I’m not sure charging at 32 vs. 40 vs 48 vs 80 amps will have much of a difference. Certainly any charging through a NEMA 14-50 outlet is good for the battery.

Reactions: Bel
Charging rates you can achieve with a home charging adapter are far too low to adversely affect battery life. The battery begins to react to charging rate around an amount of power that would fully charge the battery in one hour (1C). This would be over 100kW for the Air. Most homes are supplied by only a 200 amp 240 volt service, less than 50kW.

Charging rates you can achieve with a home charging adapter are far too low to adversely affect battery life. The battery begins to react to charging rate around an amount of power that would fully charge the battery in one hour (1C). This would be over 100kW for the Air. Most homes are supplied by only a 200 amp 240 volt service, less than 50kW.
Thanks a lot. I have 200 a service, so inherently not even close to lessen battery life. Planning fixed install a 50 a output, but adjustable with less amps, chargepoint home flex and also a 50 a receptacle, so i have redundancy using the charging cable that comes with agt. Will also have one ice car. I think for me wunderbox is just a complication and unsure when it arrives and how reliable it'd be for entire house. My two gas fire places downstairs can heat entire house in mid winter, and i have two gas hot water tanks. I already have a small generator and have on average "only" one for-hour outage par year.

I think we have established the best thing for your battery is a trickle charger from a regular 15A/120V outlet! Lol

I don’t think battery health will be why I trade this car in when I’m done with it.

Ok, will do. If need more, ill tow it up the hill in electric neutral using ice car and then tow down the hill in regen ..... 100 roundtrips should do the job. :)

Tesla has always recommended the same thing. ”A happy Tesla is a charging Tesla”.

Spoiler alert; unless you really need to charge and dash, the difference between the two is not super substantial:
The 150 vs 350 charger I have dismissed somewhat as I am sure there will be firmware upgrades to the Lucid that will allow quicker charging, and a better curve in the near future. I believe the video mentioned this as well. To my understanding, Lucid has limited the rate during the first while to monitor the vehicle and Battery Management. I seem to recall them saying that it likely can take a lot more than it currently allows.

View attachment 1774

Thanks. This is a very useful chart for me. 99% of the time, all I would want is a quick charge boost so the first five or ten minutes are what I am most interested in.

Back