Tire Pressure Mismatch

phantomias

I was checking the tire pressure of my Lucid Air Touring this morning with a manual gauge and I saw that all tires show 36 psi. However the pilot panel shows the tires as 44 psi when I drive my car more than 20 mph.

Now i am really confused if I should add air or should I just rely on what the pilot panel shows me as a result. Did anyone face any dilemma like this before? Which one is more accurate?

I'd find a new gauge to compare. Many accurate digital gauges are available for under $10. Nice ones under $25.
Old pencil-style gauges are notoriously inaccurate and should be retired.

I was checking the tire pressure of my Lucid Air Touring this morning with a manual gauge and I saw that all tires show 36 psi. However the pilot panel shows the tires as 44 psi when I drive my car more than 20 mph.

Now i am really confused if I should add air or should I just rely on what the pilot panel shows me as a result. Did anyone face any dilemma like this before? Which one is more accurate?
I just recently had this issue where most of my tires were at 36 or 37 when cold...it happened after our first couple cold spells. I eventually got a TPMS alert. I think the tires heat up when running, which then shows a higher pressure, then cool down to the lower amount. I increased from 36 to 42 when cold and all alerts went away.

I just recently had this issue where most of my tires were at 36 or 37 when cold...it happened after our first couple cold spells. I eventually got a TPMS alert. I think the tires heat up when running, which then shows a higher pressure, then cool down to the lower amount. I increased from 36 to 42 when cold and all alerts went away.
Yeah always take cold readings

It's nice to see people are checking tire pressure with more than one gauge.
I imagine I am into cars, understand the physics, so check my tires weekly.
It's really the most important safety / performance part of owning a performance car = the tires.

I run my winter tires (factory 19" Pirellis) at the recommended pressure: 49 psi
but the summer 21" factory tires I use 45 psi ... such a low profile tire needs a little help with PA potholes.

"Why do I need to know this? Will I ever need to know this?" In HS chemistry we learned: PV=nRT

.... when the temperature drops, check your tire pressure:
look at the sticker on the driver's door pillar. 21" 35 series sidewall factory recommended is 42 psi
but that's too low to prevent pothole bubbles. Lot's of posts here about sidewall bubbles ( I blame the owners ).

I've been pumping them to 45 psi / 310 kPa. So far so good. Ride is fine. The suspension on this car is simply amazing.

Winter tires 19" are fine with the recommended 49 psi / 338 kPa If you wait for the TPMS light to come on ... you are a child.

Not cool to rely solely on TPMS. Tires are too important, and the TPMS, like the Czech engine light, need a bit of this:
1697938037825.jpeg
because Lucid doesn't want the owner to be able to reset the TPMS when they swap to seasonal tires themselves? I guess the folk who can afford this car don't wipe their own asses either.

Yes the pencil tire pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate, but having one or two in your door pocket makes you a real pilot...
you do a walk-around before you take the right seat...
... you have the micro fiber towel for polishing the windshield.

"I'm high all right, but not on false drugs. I'm high on the real thing. Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
(-- Firesign Theatre "Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.")

Be cool. Go out an check your tires. It's worth 10 min. of your life.

Yeah always take cold readings
for those who ask:
"cold" means the pressure after about 6 hours of not driving...out of direct sun, or when it's been sitting in your garage overnight.
Add at least 4 psi when you have driven on them, then check again when they are "cold". Never exceed the tire sidewall number!

{for the boomers ... loved the bit in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" when Dr. Hunter Thompson pumps his rental Cadaillac to astronomical pressures to "improve" the handling. Never before and never since read a funnier book. The movie is not even close.}

Back