Time to be honest and tell the truth

I did a short 90 mile test where I drove at or 5mph over the speed limit where I live and I would have gotten at or close to the Edmunds/InsideEVS range on 19” had I kept going, but I’m not interested into charging to 100% then driving to 0% because I don’t have a YouTube channel and nobody drives an EV that way in reality and it’s not fun to drive the speed limit. The point of the range is that you can just drive the car however you want and you’ll have more than one charging option because of the efficiency. I’ve taken multiple trips to Maine, New York, Jersey, and Massachusetts and zero times have I ever had to stress about where to charge. The ONLY time it required even a little planning was in Woodstock NY when where we were staying was 49 miles away from the nearest DC fast charger and it made the most sense to drive to that charger and back and lose 100 miles of range doing so because the other nearby chargers would have cost many hours more time. So if you’re going somewhere a bit more isolated, pretty cool you can make that choice rather than sitting for 6-7 hours to L2 charge the car.

The biggest factors affecting range are drag (60mph has better range than 70mph which has better range than 80mph duh), elevation changes, especially how quickly you change elevation because that either adds more regen or uses a lot more power, and temperature. So just educate yourself about how to drive an EV and accept the fact that yes, the Lucid has the best range of any EV you can buy. Period.

Last edited:
This is obviously just trolling bait.

If you mentioned an EV that exceeded its EPA rating as your comparison you’d make a mildly better (but still bad) point, as others have called out about EPA ratings and efficiency in EVs. Teslas are notorious for having having below EPA range (and even then it’s fine for most use cases).

I think the point that EPA are wrong on both EV and ICE is a red herring. Much more important are the consequences of overstating mileage .

If I buy a new ICE car for a 1000 mile road trip expecting to get 25MPG per EPA and real world is 19, the only consequence to me is $$ The trip cost more than I was led to believe.

But if I buy an EV expecting 400 mile/charge and after 250 I'm showing near-empty, the consequences are much different: charging points no where near as close as as gas stations; chargers that don't work much more often that bad gas pumps; 45 minutes+ to charge to 80%...assuming I'm first in line at a working charger

My totally subjective take is that EPA overstates ICE milage by < 10% and overstates EV by > 25% (whether there's an agenda there is a topic for another thread...)

Obviously none of this targets Lucid...it just points out the present-day obstacles to EV adoption generally

As others have said EV range is all about weather conditions and how you drive. I have had 2 Teslas, 2 Leafs, and currently have a Bolt. Around town and 55--60 MPH regular highway trips to my 100 miles away daughter's house I have always beaten the EPA range. I admit I generally drive very conservatively. Bolt is listed at 259 miles range and around town, mostly with AC turned off I consistently get around 6 miles/kwh for a projected range of 390 miles. On the 55 MPH daughter trips with AC on and 2 occupants I average around 4.7 miles/kwh or a projected range of 310. My only interstate trip was earlier this year to Williamsburg, VA. Temp was in the 50s going and I got 3.9 which is the EPA number. Coming home, a bit warmer, but very heavy head wind, I was around 3.4 miles/kwh. I think the Lucid EPA range numbers are very consistent with other EVs. The EQS has been the EV with the largest favorable variance in the 70 and 75 MPH tests.
But when you replace the Bolt with a car with three times the HP and torque, will you still be driving conservatively?

I think the point that EPA are wrong on both EV and ICE is a red herring. Much more important are the consequences of overstating mileage .

If I buy a new ICE car for a 1000 mile road trip expecting to get 25MPG per EPA and real world is 19, the only consequence to me is $$ The trip cost more than I was led to believe.

But if I buy an EV expecting 400 mile/charge and after 250 I'm showing near-empty, the consequences are much different: charging points no where near as close as as gas stations; chargers that don't work much more often that bad gas pumps; 45 minutes+ to charge to 80%...assuming I'm first in line at a working charger

My totally subjective take is that EPA overstates ICE milage by < 10% and overstates EV by > 25% (whether there's an agenda there is a topic for another thread...)

Obviously none of this targets Lucid...it just points out the present-day obstacles to EV adoption generally
Add to that the fact that Lucid recommends we set our charging min-Max to 20-80% respectively . It almost appears that the issues are coming up when people change the 80 to 100 AND perhaps the Fast Charging is melting some contacts.

I don't get why this continues to come up because no one seems to hold ICE vehicles to the same EPA numbers. As others have pointed out EPA needs the stars to align and for you to win the lotto in order to achieve it especially on the 5 cycle test. Lucid and Tesla do the 5 cycle test which is more ambitious to achieve the number stated. It's why you see others who do the 2 cycle beat the EPA. You just need to look at InsideEV's real range test to get a good idea of who comes close to EPA. It's been show at 70mph on 19" wheels by both InsideEV's and Car and Driver that the Lucid has gotten 500 and 515 miles respectively which is pretty damn close yet people still aren't happy.

Lucid has also said that it takes time for the motors to wear in which is about the 2000 mile mark and when people have reported seeing better efficiency myself included. If you think the Lucid is going to be a solid performer around town though, you're dreaming! The car is very heavy so if you're stopping a lot it's going to take more energy to get the car moving but you don't need miles around town, you need miles when doing road trips and the real world tests have shown what this vehicle can achieve.
ICE vehicles don't have to meet their EPA rating because gas stations are everywhere

Actually, this subject has been discussed many times on this and other forums. There is no electric car on earth that achieves the EPA claimed range under real world circumstances. My Jaguar is rated for 273 miles and I am lucky if I get 220. This is a reality of the way EPA testing is done on electric vehicles. Truly, the federal government needs to update its testing standards and procedures to reflect real world mileage.
Actually my BMW i4 e40, on 19” wheels, consistently gets over the EPA estimate by a significan margin. My lifetime average stands at 4.1 mi/kWh which is in excess of a 320 mile range. The EPA estimate for the e40 on 19” wheels is 282 miles. My experience is far from an isolated one, as many i4 owners are exceeding the EPA estimates. The car has turned out to be very efficient.

I still have a reservation for the Pure, but at this point, having had zero issues with the i4 and really enjoying its ride & handling, I’m becoming more and more dubious about making a switch. I seriously doubt the Pure will offer me much greater range in real world driving.

My wife wants to hold on to her hybrid as she’s reluctant to have 2 electric cars between the two of us. So getting her into a Pure isn’t going to happen.

On the flip side, neither my e-Tron, MS or I-Pace managed to meet their EPA estimates. So there’s that.

Last edited:
Actually my BMW i4 e40, on 19” wheels, consistently gets over the EPA estimate by a significan margin. My lifetime average stands at 4.1 mi/kWh which is in excess of a 320 mile range. The EPA estimate for the e40 on 19” wheels is 282 miles. My experience is far from an isolated one, as many i4 owners are exceeding the EPA estimates. The car has turned out to be very efficient.

I still have a reservation for the Pure, but at this point, having had zero issues with the i4 and really enjoying its ride & handling, I’m becoming more and more dubious about making a switch. I seriously doubt the Pure will offer me much greater range in real world driving.

My wife wants to hold on to her hybrid as she’s reluctant to have 2 electric cars between the two of us. So getting her into a Pure isn’t going to happen.
Now if only the I4-50 had the same range.........

Now if only the I4-50 had the same range.........
Yeah, well 0-60 in the high 4 second area is good enough for me. I’ve also had experience with EVs with RWD (my MS), so I wasn’t at all deterred by that. If I lived in areas with frequent heavy snows and had no second car as an alternative drive, my decision might have been different. ;)

I suspect you’ll do better based on the owner’s reports.
With my wife driving a possibility. With me driving highly unlikely. It will be wife's car, so she will be pleased if it does exceed rated range.

Add to that the fact that Lucid recommends we set our charging min-Max to 20-80% respectively . It almost appears that the issues are coming up when people change the 80 to 100 AND perhaps the Fast Charging is melting some contacts.
Nope. We’ve established that the issues have nothing to do with DCFC or state of charge, as many members have fast charged dozens of times to 100% (myself included) and no issues. No contacts are getting melted lol; I’m not even sure where that theory came from.

Nope. We’ve established that the issues have nothing to do with DCFC or state of charge, as many members have fast charged dozens of times to 100% (myself included) and no issues. No contacts are getting melted lol; I’m not even sure where that theory came from.
I'm pretty sure it came from Sam, or perhaps Parachute.

Never charged mine to 100% dropped it to 80% the day I picked it up at Lucid and kept it there yet Lucid still had my car for 5 weeks.

Driving an EV long distance requires planning that an ICE vehicle doesn’t require. The Lucid has enough range that this planning is much easier than in any other EV. How many days a year are you on a road trip? Being able to charge at home and never needing a gas station or charging station is very liberating. I don’t give charging or range any thought for 48+ weeks in a year.

Back