Tidal Plans and Pricing

As a recovering audiophile and former subscriber to both Stereophile and Absolute Sound, I confess that I did buy a bunch of magic wire = including PS Audio magic power cables / wall sockets / power conditioners .... Do you remember the Stereophile gear reviewer who advocated the spool of wire he used to power the pump at the bottom of his water well? He made speaker wire from it, then compared it to the 6 nines silver NASA-spec Teflon-coated wire available for 1000 x the cost. He was making fun of us, sure, but he kept the gag up, and periodically said he was trying twisted pairs of pump wire with interconnects too. I even went so far as to re-gear my system for balanced interconnects... because I was concerned the 18 inches of twisted pairs did not cancel out electromagnetic contamination = not like I was running 100 feet of wire across a stage floor sagging under the weight of electronic gear of all shapes and kinds ... let's not mention the lights. Pro balanced interconnects are just cooler than plated RCA jacks. It's fun.

You could sell me anything back in the day.

My point is it was a hobby for some of us ... we knew at some level we were being had. It was part of the fun to boast and post our gear on Audio Asylum.

I'm sure nobody here has ever modded their cars, poured over the JC Whitney catalogue adding up all the HP increases you could get on your dad's VW beetle just by bolting on / swapping out a few gizmos and whatnots. I learned how to mechanic "fixing" dad's VW. Still only made 36 hp.

The good side of the audio hobby is I really learned to listen, and appreciate excellent recording engineering. The visit to Lloyd Walker's listening room just blew my mind. I had no idea how much information could be coaxed out of vinyl. Perhaps vinyl is not nearly as hi-fi as digital ... but it's user intensive, and that's part of the hobby. Who checks and adjusts the tone-arm tracking and balance for a moving coil cartridge?

My Lucid is due for a tune-up: Gonna get new points, condenser, rotor, cap, new plugs need to be gaped, plug wires, check the timing with a chalk mark on the crank pulley and a strobe, check the carb floats, carb synchronization (for the trips six pack 440) ... just getting started...

Lucid is not a hobby car. There's nothing to do on it. The audio quality = trained ears know it when they hear it.

you made me wet.
I guess I should be happy?
Here’s my setup. Forgive the mess on the floor as I am decluttering.
IMG_2741.jpeg
IMG_2736.jpeg

Man that is nice, and you kinda of made my point for me, as here’s the room I was working out of in 2003 (not my setup, this room belongs to someone who has won seven Oscars for sound editing/mixing, I myself am not great, I was merely allowed to use the room of someone great as he was mixing our project on the film stage the whole time), and his setup is not as nice as yours haha. Hats off to anyone who has an amazing audio setup but I guess for me I never understood the need to go beyond what the pros use
Image-3B029CCC93D711D7.jpeg

Man that is nice, and you kinda of made my point for me, as here’s the room I was working out of in 2003 (not my setup, this room belongs to someone who has won seven Oscars for sound editing/mixing, I myself am not great, I was merely allowed to use the room of someone great as he was mixing something else), and his setup is not as nice as yours haha. View attachment 19152
Thank you. For those who remember, I tried to emulate this:
IMG_2838.jpeg

Cosmo, I know you have a tendency when excited to go off the rails. Perhaps this is one of those times.

FYI, I invented the PS Audio receptacles, working with Hubbell engineers. They are hospital grade receptacles with changes to reduce resistance and impedance. Hubbell was more concerned about blood splatter. They are excellent receptacles, not snake oil. The clamping force is four times a Leviton cheapie. I have seen too many owners plug brand new equipment into a worn out 99 cent outlets with bad results.

PS Audio very few so called power conditioners. What it does make is a Power Plant. It is a power regeneration device. It takes dirty AC from your wall, converts it to pure DC and then recreates a Pure AC signal. It is not smoke and mirrors. Every MRI has that built into its power supply. Sony purchased many from us. I am told that much of the Sony video reviewing is done with equipment powered through a PS Power Plant.

Sim Audio MOON -- great Canadian stuff.
Bingo. Rega turntable and Monitor Audio speakers - British.
Dynaudio subwoofer - Danish

Bingo. Rega turntable and Monitor Audio speakers - British.
Dynaudio subwoofer - Danish
I knew the Sim guys in the early years when they tried using the name Celeste. Got sued for TM infringement and went to Moon. Not sure how you go from Celeste to Moon. Why is it that the great Canadian hifi stuff is all built like a solid brick shithouse - robust is an understatement, from Sim to Sonic Frontiers. I still have a Celeste Integrated sitting around somewhere. One of the first to use optical volume controls.

I knew the Sim guys in the early years when they tried using the name Celeste. Got sued for TM infringement and went to Moon. Not sure how you go from Celeste to Moon. Why is it that the great Canadian hifi stuff is all built like a solid brick shithouse - robust is an understatement, from Sim to Sonic Frontiers. I still have a Celeste Integrated sitting around somewhere. One of the first to use optical volume controls.
Their volume control is indeed as smooth as silk. The integrated amp works just as well as any other I’ve used.

When I want to immerse myself in nostalgia and warmth, I use the finest from Saul Marantz, with an old Thorens TT and Dynaco speakers. The 7C preamp was owned by some guy at KLH named Henry Kloss, and he took it with him when he sold KLH to Singer. Who needs accuracy when the music floods you with the warmth and love of the musicians that did the recording.

Attachments

• Marantz.jpg
    Marantz.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
I really liked the PS Audio receptacles. I forgot to take them out of the house when I moved. Thank you for that.

I really liked the PS Audio receptacles. I forgot to take them out of the house when I moved. Thank you for that.
I will not forget all i learned at Hubbell. Strange Segway, but it allowed me to opine here about people saying that a $10 Leviton stove receptacles are just fine for EV charging at 40 amps for 6 hours at a time. Most do not know all the engineering and thought in the design of a purpose built receptable - like the impendence difference from contacts using silver to gold, to rhodium to brass. Little known fact: rhodium is highly resistant to blood, vomit, cleaning fluids and gross mistreatment - and thus first choice for hospital grade outlet. But rhodium's resistance to current flow is far greater than copper.

Could not find analog rig and tweaked listening room from old house (before toddlers), or the "illegal" photos I took of Lloyd Walker's test rig and listening room.

But did find some of my last digital rig, right before I had to give up the hobby. That's Lloyd Walker's turntable stand, his magic anti-vibration pucks and tone cones. Behind the SCD-1 is some PS Audio magic power cord, going to a PS Audio power conditioner before the PS Audio wall socket. Accessory table with SCD-1 & Threshold T-2 preamp remotes, and decibel level meter. I really really liked the Threshold preamp... I should have kept it, just for the tactile sense of the volume knob. That's an FM tuner below it. Yes that is magic 6 nines silver speaker cable, in NASA Teflon going to the Audio Physic Virgos. Bought a pair of stereo amps from McCormack then sent them back to be converted to monoblocks with upgraded caps and balanced line input to mate with the superb Threshold T-2 preamp. The corner traps I made based on Everest handbook. The tube thingies were a fad at the time...tweaking the reflections with them was ... well they look cool. This is how I learned to listen to what the recording engineer intended. Booming bass has a place, but not in my place. I was experimenting with that 18" Velodyne sub, but found it a detriment, so moved it to the video room.

I could not afford to keep all this gear. Sold everything on Audiogon. Now I just go sit in the back center seat of the Lucid.

Scan_20240311 (2).png
Scan_20240311 (3).png

Back on topic. If you have the Lucid premium audio ... Tidal Dolby pro Atmos. so worth it.

I will not forget all i learned at Hubbell. Strange Segway, but it allowed me to opine here about people saying that a $10 Leviton stove receptacles are just fine for EV charging at 40 amps for 6 hours at a time. Most do not know all the engineering and thought in the design of a purpose built receptable - like the impendence difference from contacts using silver to gold, to rhodium to brass. Little known fact: rhodium is highly resistant to blood, vomit, cleaning fluids and gross mistreatment - and thus first choice for hospital grade outlet. But rhodium's resistance to current flow is far greater than copper.
My hospital has these 😬
IMG_2770.jpeg

Please tell me those are in the laundry room for a dryer. And not for mission critical apparatus. Oh, it says Printer. Whew.....
Actually I don’t even know what printer could possibly require that outlet, but yeah it’s in the endoscopy/bronchoscopy room so at some point there must have been mission critical stuff plugged into it. I’ve never seen it in use.

Actually I don’t even know what printer could possibly require that outlet, but yeah it’s in the endoscopy/bronchoscopy room so at some point there must have been mission critical stuff plugged into it. I’ve never seen it in use.
Probably for the old school anesthesia machines.

Coming on May 17th, on Blu-ray and compatible digital platforms (Apple Music, Tidal, and Amazon Music), is the Dolby Atmos version of Pink Floyd's Animals 2018 Remix. It is the first time the album will have been available in Dolby Atmos.

The Blu-ray includes High Resolution Stereo and 5.1 Mixes alongside the 1977 Original Stereo Mix. The Dolby Atmos mix goes beyond ordinary listening by immersing the listener in the music,
revealing details with unparalleled clarity and depth. Listeners will feel like they are inside the song as music moves around and above them.

The album artwork has been reimagined especially for this release and presented in a digipak with a 16-page booklet, a sticker and a postcard. The front cover image still includes the iconic pig floating between two chimneys of the Battersea Power Station, conceived by Roger Waters. However, for this new release, the artwork has been re-created for the modern era by Storm Thorgerson's Hipgnosis partner Aubrey 'Po' Powell and Peter Curzon from StormStudios, and shows the historic building as it looks now, complete with light projections, variations of which feature in the accompanying booklet.

The Animals 2018 Remix is also available on CD, LP (with gatefold artwork), SACD and Deluxe Gatefold formats. The Deluxe Gatefold version includes LP, CD, audio Blu-ray, audio DVD and a 32-page book.

Back